Looking for a new carry

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jackleman14, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jackleman14

jackleman14 New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Howdy all.

I'm currently carrying a Bersa Thunder .380 Auto. Unfortunately I think I am too skinny to carry it, its just not concealed as much as I would like. I can wear it just fine on my ankle but I would much rather have something I can wear at my side without notice.

Any suggestions? My price range is pretty flexibly, it defiantly has to be reliable though. The Bersa has an overall width of 1 and 7/16" so I'm looking for something significantly more thin. Thanks!

2. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    you want slim? Walther PPS 1.04" thick, currently in 9mm, should be in .40 soon. Over 500rds on mine and not a burp, but mine is cleaned religiously.

3. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Bersa is small.I carry my 45 and it is not visable.You might want to consider a fanny pack or vest to conceal your weapon.The only gun I know that is smaller would be a Keltec 32.:smoker:

4. jackleman14

jackleman14 New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    My brother in law suggested two guns to me today, the North American Arms 380 Guardian and the Kel-Tec 380

His sentiment was that the gardian is basically solid, but expensive, and that some people swear by their Kel-Tec's and some people hate them.

5. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Keltecs are cheaper than the NAAs ,and are reliable.

6. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

I'd eat more BBQ and fix that problem. That way you can carry an array of guns :D

7. longtooth

longtooth Active Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Rather than looking for a smaller gun I would like to suggest a few things.

My background:
    I have carried since shortly after the legalization of CC in Texas. Am Range Safety Officer at our local range. Prior to CC I would carry a side arm while hunting, on my own property & of coarse at the range. Prior to legal CC I made a few of my own holsters because there were not many options due to not much of a market. I teach many locals how to carry on body because they, as you, feel they cannot conceal very well. Some say as you did that you are too slim. I have really heavy folks tell me they cannot conceal because they are too big. If they were smaller & more "my size" they could conceal as easily as I do. Waste size restricts number of items possible on a carry belt more than concealability.

I have found the problem is usually not size but gear, clothing, & cover garments.
    Gear. I will encourage you to get a high quality gun belt & holster if you want to carry anything the size of your Bersa or larger. (I will also encourage ou to "gun Up" some from the .380) Many of us carry on a daily basis & guns much larger than you are talking about. I carry a full size 1911 on a regular basis. My small daily carry is a Kimber Pro CDPll. Full size frame & 4" barrel.
    My Sunday carry is a Ruger SP101 on my belt. I am a baptist preacher at a small country church that is really close so there is a lot of Hugs all the time. I have no trouble concealing or keeping it from being felt because I have a quality gunbelt that holds it tight & keeps it from moving. I rig up my lapel mic in front of everyone w/ no problem or worry about "flashing" anyone.
    My gear is the key not a tiny gun.

You can cover your Bersa or a larger gun w/ polo shirt if you have a quality "Inside the WasteBand" (IWB) holster. OWB I cover w/ a vests. Summer it is a light vest & when I wear my shoulder rig I still use a vest. Gear clothing, & cover is the key not the size of gun. I know a few that carry a Baretta 92. That is a large frame hand gun. Many that carry a double stack .45 w/o problems. One friend is quit slim, late 30s & carries revolvers. K-Frame smiths w/o any trouble. Much thicker than your Bersa or my 1911s. We all dress quite neat. None are sloppy w/ way too big & baggy clothes or hot coat & tie.

Am at work early so cannot access my pics from this computer. If you are interested in seeing, learning about holsters that will conceal well, I will be glad to help.
    If your desired direction is summer shorts, tight T-shirt, or no shirt then the really small guns are your option.

I have a good list of quality holsters & makers I will be glad to share. If I can help I will be glad to.
    Have a great day.
    LT

8. justin81

justin81 New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    I like my Kel-Tec .380 so far. If you have the money the Kahr KP3833 is a great pistol, and about the same size as the P-3AT. But coming in at a little over $300 more than the Kel-Tec, it's hard for some to justify spending that much.

[​IMG]

9. jackleman14

jackleman14 New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice so far!

I think I will probably pick up a new Ruger LCP .380 when they are available. Any suggestions for a good conceal holster for this gun? I'll need one at the hip as well as a good ankle holster probably.

10. Roadkill Bill

Roadkill Bill New Member

Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Forget the silly ankle holster.