• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    NATO = North Atlantic Treaty Organization. We're part of it. Being a mutual defense treaty, there are standard calibers that all countries agree to use. The ones that spring to mind are 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm and 9x19mm. I'm sure .50 BMG and other calibers for crew-served are in there, too...
    LOL...I know what NATO is. I was wondering what the rational was behind getting a NATO round. And the explanation given is a valid one. That having been said, 7.62x39 is VERY plentiful and actually a little cheaper in many cases. Nothing against ARs, they ahve a place....but I like the AKs for a SHTF situation...just personal preference.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    LOL...I know what NATO is. I was wondering what the rational was behind getting a NATO round. And the explanation given is a valid one. That having been said, 7.62x39 is VERY plentiful and actually a little cheaper in many cases. Nothing against ARs, they ahve a place....but I like the AKs for a SHTF situation...just personal preference.

One good argument against 7.62x39 as a primary caliber is the fact that most ammo is produced in foreign countries and could dry up for various reasons.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    One good argument against 7.62x39 as a primary caliber is the fact that most ammo is produced in foreign countries and could dry up for various reasons.
    true, very true. but as with drugs....where there is a demand there will always be a supply. Nothing agaist the AR platform, I just love the near indestructibility of the AKs.
    Nothing against an AR, I carry one of those everyday.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    true, very true. but as with drugs....where there is a demand there will always be a supply. Nothing agaist the AR platform, I just love the near indestructibility of the AKs.
    Nothing against an AR, I carry one of those everyday.

Having both is always the way to go ;)

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    .223 will do 300 yards and still be lethal, not an issue. I vote for an AR, they're fun and easy to shoot.

You can do an AK instead if you like. They're also good to 300 yards, despite what the haters say about their accuracy (this is usually from people who can't shoot an AK accurately).

now that i have BOTH i will be testing this eventually.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    ive got one tha tis extremely over priced and in poor cosmetic shape.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I do need another AK. I've been thinking that lately.
    I need another one too...if you hear of one around SA (cheap), PM me. I am also looking for an AK stock...probably a collapsable one, as those are usually the ones that are long enough to be comfortable. Looks aren't important, but the boat oar that comes on them is just too short for someone that is 6'2"....i need to do some googling and find out who has the deals.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    sounds like my ex-wife

69593081.WJRVitYB.rimshot.gif
    rimshot.gif

Top Bottom