• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    I'm looking for my first AR15 rifle, and I'm leaning towards a Colt LE6920. I see there are multiple versions of this rifle, including a SOCOM version. I don't know much about AR15 rifles, but I was recommend a Colt LE6920 by friends. Any comments or recommendation on the best one to get? Finally, how does this compare to Ruger or S&W or Bushmaster AR15? The purpose will be home defense and range shooting.
    Guns International

spuds015

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    For the price the m&p is a great first AR. I have a LE6920 and don't feel like I got anything for the extra price compared to a M&p other than a little pony on the lower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The Colts are sort of in a class of their own. They have a reputation as a very good quality firearm and I don't think you can go wrong with any LE6920 version. You have to be the judge of what style or version is best for you. Personally, if I was going to buy one, I like the FDE model and if you plan on upgrading to Magpul furniture, might as well get one with it already installed... http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/LE6920MPS-FDE.pdf

Actually, the LE6920s listed in the Colt catalog are pretty much the same, just different stocks and forearms.
    And a couple you can buy without furniture or trigger guard and add your own.
    http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/LE6920-Series

The SOCOM models are hard to find. But by all appearances, the only difference is the stock and a free float hand rail.

I don't own a Colt, but I'm very happy with my PSA and Bushmaster. I've heard nothing but good about the S&W Sport II.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    The first AR I got was a LE6920 - much like you, it was recommended by people a lot more knowledgeable than I certainly was at the time. I don't see how you could go wrong with it. Mine's never had a hiccup with quite a number of rounds down the pipe.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    While Colt does make a good product, the little horse on the side does add bigger digits on the price. The Colt fanbois will tell you it is superior but they really aren't.

Any of the brands you mentioned will get you a good firearm.

The biggest thing is to get the rifle set up the way you want it from the factory. Different fore arms, butt stocks, triggers, and etc. are cheaper to buy already on the rifle than later as a replacement.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    The biggest thing is to get the rifle set up the way you want it from the factory. Different fore arms, butt stocks, triggers, and etc. are cheaper to buy already on the rifle than later as a replacement.
    Or buy one of the Colt OEM versions and outfit it exactly the way you want it.
    http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/LE6920-Series

And if you shop wisely you can do better than the list prices on that page.

Also, check out the 6920-R

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Does colt still use non-pattern parts? For a while some of Thur parts didn't interchange with all other AR15s.

The S&W M&P is a very fine rifle. Most of the others are good also. I wouldn't get hung up on the name. Just find something you like and don't spend an arm and a leg. Here is a DPMS that will work for your application and give you plenty of money for a high quality scope (aimpoint) plus mags, mount and sling.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/dpms-sportical-rifle#repChildCatid=1562503

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    While Colt does make a good product, the little horse on the side does add bigger digits on the price. The Colt fanbois will tell you it is superior but they really aren't.

Any of the brands you mentioned will get you a good firearm.

This.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Another thing to consider is how much are you actually going to shoot it.
    Are we talking several thousand rounds a year ? If the honest answer is "yes, I am going to shoot 5000+ rounds a year" then spend the extra$$$ on a higher end gun.

If you are going to shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year or less, any decent entry level AR will be fine.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Another thing to consider is how much are you actually going to shoot it.
    Are we talking several thousand rounds a year ? If the honest answer is "yes, I am going to shoot 5000+ rounds a year" then spend the extra$$$ on a higher end gun.
    Especially if you think you might be taking a class or 2.

If you are going to shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year or less, any decent entry level AR will be fine.
    Good advice

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I think as long as you stay away from the polymer ARs, it really comes to what brand do you like, what do you want on it, and how much are you willing to spend.

There's a few things to look at such as warranties, are the gas block bolts and adjustable stock castle nut properly staked, is the forearm lined up with the upper, does the upper fit the lower pretty snug, and make sure the front sight/gas block is properly lined up.

Most of the ARs you look at should have all this covered though.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom