• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Im looking for a gun safe that i can use until i get the money together for my Fort Knox Safe. I dont want one of those sheet metal lockers but a low cost safe for the time being. If anyone in the East Houston area has one to get rid of let me know what you want for it and some pics please, post here.
    Lynx Defense

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    If there is a Tractor Supply store near you, check them out. When they have them, they have great prices.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Go stop by academy and ask if the manager of the Hunting and fishing dept. if they have any previous year model safes on clearance. I picked up a 16 gun sentry (non-fire-resistant but with the walls fit for it) for $240 when they sold originally for $399. Digital keypad and everything.

Carry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    We are looking to buy one, too. I already have experience with another small safe that had the digital keypad.... the battery died and then I couldn't remember where I put the key! The safe company told me how to get into the safe to get our legal documents out. (How 'safe' is that then?)

Anyway, I am not crazy about the digital keypads. Beyond that, I want to put in hard earned cash into a safe that is truly worthy. If a couple extra hundred dollars will buy the better safe, that's what I want.

What brands are recommended?

Carry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    We are looking to buy one, too. I already have experience with another small safe that had the digital keypad.... the battery died and then I couldn't remember where I put the key! The safe company told me how to get into the safe to get our legal documents out. (How 'safe' is that then?)

Anyway, I am not crazy about the digital keypads. Beyond that, I want to put in hard earned cash into a safe that is truly worthy. If a couple extra hundred dollars will buy the better safe, that's what I want.

What brands are recommended?

Never mind! I found another post with some good info and links:

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide

Go the the big gun show this weekend. They have great deals, and most will deliver and set them up the same day.

Buy as much protection as you need. You can foil the casual thief easily, the professionals will get in no matter what you buy. Look at the brute force attacks on youtube, it will really open your eyes. A couple of pry bars will open almost any safe. The best strategy is place the face (door) facing a wall, close enough to open the door, but not close enough to allow for a large prybar, and anchor it securely to the floor. This is usually included with the delivery.

The dealer told me that 80% of the service calls they make are for safes with an electronic lock. Get a stage II dial lock.​

Last edited by IXLR8; 05-21-2010 at 06:21 PM.​

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I am planning on buying a Fort Knox Safe rated at 1.5hrs break in resistance, one of the very dense and thick safes but the 4 Grand its going to cost is slow coming so right now im looking for something in the 12ga range for a temporary solution until i can get the money together for the big one.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    used gun safes are hard to come by as usually folks only sell them if they get a bigger one. while academy and tractor supply both sell the Cannon brand and those are pretty inexpensive, if placed in the right spot they will stop 99% of those who get into your house. I bought the biggest one academy sells. its 72" tall which is a huge plus and it only cost $1000. Most burglars are smash and grab and wont take time to defeat a safe. i actually like my digital lock. i can get in it super fast even at night...the battery last two to three years, even with me gettin in it every day. if the battery does go dead i can take it out and put a new one in and open it right up.
    I have other smaller safes in other parts of my house and doubt if any local turds would get in any of them without alot of time....if you have ANY gun safe you are way ahead of the game as well as most of the gun owners in the U.S.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I currently own a 72 x 41 Ft. Knox Titan (I think that's the model) - and am saving for another. Yeah, they're expensive, but they're also some of the better ones within the reach of the average Joe. There ARE better ones out there - but at about 3x the cost, IIRC from pricing them a few years back. Generally speakin', even a Ft. Knox IS overkill - most of the idiots breaking in won't bother - but there's stuff in there I don't want to lose, so.....

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Im saving up for a Ft Knox, one of the huge defenders with the double horse-shoe interior but im looking for something to replace (not getting rid of it just dont want to leave them in it when im not home) the antique wood and glass one i have now.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    There's a guy over on 1919A4 foruns who has TWO safes he wants to sell quickly at an excellent price. Only problem is they are in Calilfornia, but he's willing to put them on a pallet and ship motor freight. If I was in the market, I'd jump on one or both of these. Here's the link:

WTS two gun safes - 1919a4 forums

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You need to check out the Champion gunsafes. You can get as good or better than a Ft Know for a lot less money.

You've been here before trying to hawk safes - why not be up front about who/what you are? Compared to a Ft Knox, the Champion is a POS - period. I looked into all of them quite a bit before making my selection, and while the Champion is a pretty good safe, trying to compare it to the Ft Knox Titan series is a serious waste of time. I've no problem w/someone selling stuff - but when they try to hide their affiliation, it sends up all kinds of flags to me. So kindly take your sleezeball sales efforts somewhere else.
    Did I make my opinion clear enough for you?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    HEY! If you want to advertise, how about you just go do the polite thing and email admin@texasguntalk.com to ask about advertising? Does anyone have any manners any more? It's rather rude to just come on someone's website and start pushing a product. We're glad to set pretty much anyone up with advertising options, all you have to do is ask.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I just picked up a 26 cu. ft. Redhead safe (made by Granite in Ft. Worth) at Bass Pro. The thing that attracted me to it was the 2 hour / 1400F fire rating. A pro is going to get into pretty much any safe given time and the smash and grabbers won't mess with pretty much any safe, so the fire rating was the key for me. With this and my home alarm, I think I am reasonably covered for theft. Definitely not in the Ft. Knox league, but with the 10% discount for getting their credit card and the rewards points it was $1200 net. That's about 1/2 price compared to the Liberty and American Security I started my search with, so the better half is happy.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Don't get me wrong - I've had safes a LOT less than the Ft Knox over the years. It's just that with time, the collection has grown, as has the value - so I finally broke down and splurged. Now I gotta do it again!

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Don't get me wrong - I've had safes a LOT less than the Ft Knox over the years. It's just that with time, the collection has grown, as has the value - so I finally broke down and splurged. Now I gotta do it again!

needing another safe, now that's a good "problem" to have :cool:

Top Bottom