• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Or drive down to San Antonio the first weekend of every month, where the big SAXET show is held (San Antonio Event Center, 8111 Meadow Leaf [Loop 410 & Marbach Rd], 78227. Map). From downtown Austin it is a 90 minute drive.

I'd advise getting there early because of parking, if you make it before 8:00am there is no one collecting money and you can get a first row spot. There are two places to eat breakfast within a three-minute walk (IHOP and Apetito's Mexican Restaurant), which is what we normally do.

Cheers! M2

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    +1 on the Saxet show, and I do the same thing, drive down from Austin at 0 dark 30, park, meet friends for breakfast at Apetito's, then do the show. The "show" in Austin is a waste of time and money.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    I've also been hearing a general lack of enthusiasm for the "Texas Gun Shows" shows. Seems that show's promoter is not popular with local vendors and the show has a hard time filling tables.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've also been hearing a general lack of enthusiasm for the "Texas Gun Shows" shows. Seems that show's promoter is not popular with local vendors and the show has a hard time filling tables.

You may have heard some of that general lack of enthusiasm from me. I have sworn off TGS shows, but back in July the wife and kids were off visiting her family so I thought I would go to both the Live Oak show here in SA and the Austin one. The bottom line is both sucked! The Live Oak show was only half of the venue (whereas it normally is the full civic center), but they still charged full price despite only having half of the vendors.

The Austin show was pretty weak as well. If I hadn't had such a nice drive up there, taking back roads north of Canyon Lake and through Wimberly, I would have really been bummed. There wasn't that many vendors there, despite the fact that show only occupied a fraction of the old Walmart it was held in.

All in all, I don't plan on going to another TGS show again. I had heard about all the problems with the Austin PD and previous TGS shows, and don't have much faith that the TGS promoters are looking out for the best interests of gun enthusiasts.

Sure, the large SAXET shows have issues. Parking sucks if you don't get there early, and it tends to get crowded. Plus, it's getting tougher and tougher to find good deals; but for $5 to get in it provides a few hours entertainment and the chance to look, touch and even buy some nice guns (hopefully unloaded ones! ).

We're lucky as it's a 15-minute drive to the SAXET venue, but even when it was across town we still went almost every month (as well as the occasional show up at the Alzafar Shrine Temple). It's become a tradition with my oldest son, who is 13, and myself to go and have breakfast beforehand. It's a great way for a father and son to spend some time together!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Will do, but my son prefers IHOP so we usually end up there.

Still, if you see a guy in shorts with a high-and-tight, and a kid that's almost his same height as his Dad, but about half as wide and is talking his Dad's ear off, that'll be us!

Cheers! M2

31BBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone been to the Texas Gun Show in Austin recently? It's about the only one I can make it too at them moment, no vehicle. I heard they are fighting a civil suit against APD for some stuff that happened while at the Walmart building which is why they are no longer there. I'm pretty sure they are in an old Target building now.

Bear

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I went in July and in comparison to the larger SAXET shows in SA, it was underwhelming. However, if it was the only show I could get to, I would still probably go...

But honestly, if there is a show nearby that other folks on this forum are going to; couldn't someone offer you a ride? I'd be willing to help someone out...

Cheers! M2

31BBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Austin, TX
    It will probably still be underwhelming. I grew up in Arlington going to the shows there pretty much every weekend and those shows were pretty huge. I won't have my Motorcycle road legal until I get back from my WTC with the National Guard (prior Navy going back in the Military for a Job). Then I will be able to go to the Saxet show and see that one.

Bear

Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    Well I did not get this from the horse's mouth but it is my understanding that SAXET is coming back tot he Austin area, just not in Austin proper-
    I was told they made a deal and signed the paperwork to use a building at the Heritage Center aka the rodeo arena grounds off 290. Further, there will be shows in November and December. I would think it might take them a little time to get vendors on the calendar and to the show so I figure its possible it might be a bit thin on total tables at first.
    Take it for what its worth, after all this is the internet.
    Mark

BrettNAustin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Which gun show is better to sell a private firearm?

I have a Kimber 1911 .45 that I unfortunately have to sell since I lost my job (my HDTV, and bed are about to go before I sell my Kimber) so I'd like to find a place where there will be a lot of people interested in buying a fairly expensive handgun.

Does anyone know if it's better to sell my Kimber in Austin or should I go to a larger city like San Antonio or Dallas?

Top Bottom