• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    It's 308W. Like you, I'm assuming it was either how it was cut the first time or a flaw in the composition of the steel.

But back to the topic at hand, I still maintain my vote for .243. I'm having a ball with .243AI.
    Gun Zone Deals

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    It's 308W. Like you, I'm assuming it was either how it was cut the first time or a flaw in the composition of the steel.

But back to the topic at hand, I still maintain my vote for .243. I'm having a ball with .243AI.

Op didn't mention reloading which would play a factor if 243 is chosen. There are plenty of various hunting loads available from the factory but not much in the way of target loads.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I would personally start with a .223 or .308 as those two calibers are readily plentiful and you really don't have to put much thought into the ammo, just focus on shooting. Any of the 6mm or 6.5 mm are great for 1200 yd shooting. If you wanted a long range hunter, I would look at a 7mm

trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    Op didn't mention reloading which would play a factor if 243 is chosen. There are plenty of various hunting loads available from the factory but not much in the way of target loads.

All my cases came from off the shelf .243, mostly fired out of a Winchester rifle (some out of the .243AI). I found several of the Hornady line, and even the Ted Nugent delivered good accuracy. The coppercreek I was given for Christmas was exceptional. Most of the .243 varmint loads by various makers present themselves pretty well in a target setting.

But it is true, even when fire forming, the factory ammo can't compete with handloads. Then again, the same can be said for .308 and .223.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Varmint bullets usually lack in the BC department since most are after explosiveness. They are fine within certain distances usually because of the higher velocity of the lighter weight projectile but the velocity falls off faster which gives you more wind deflection.

Top Bottom