• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rusty2008

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I am looking at buying a Beretta PX4Storm or glock 23/24 or XD, or sig 229. I just want some opinions on what y'all think about these guns. I need feedback on your experiences with them.I am kind of favoring the PX4 and the sig comes in at a close second. Please help. Thanks Rusty
    Lynx Defense

texreb66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Cleburne, Texas
    Rusty, the only thing I will chime in on this about, will be the Glocks. I have been trying to find a particular pistol this entire weekend, and was abou tto buy a Glock 22/23, yesterday. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE shop around before you do. Most of the used ones I see on texasguntrader.com, they want new prices for, or real close to. Then you can find new ones for cheap, and see other shops(like the one I went to) that is just asking way too much. Good luck on your quest.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i will always recommend the xd over anything because im kind of biased... but go to the local gun shop pick them all up...look down the sights...make sure it fits your hands...look at price difference...
    if the cheaper one fits your hand better then pick it. they all are good quality firearms and you will be pleased with any of them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Those are all excellent choices except the Glock 24 that to my knowledge doesn't exist. The biggest factor is which one fits your hand tha best. I am a Glock fan, but any of these guns will feed and function reliably and last for the rest of your life. Find the one that feels the best and shop around for the best deal.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    Those are all excellent choices except the Glock 24 that to my knowledge doesn't exist. The biggest factor is which one fits your hand tha best. I am a Glock fan, but any of these guns will feed and function reliably and last for the rest of your life. Find the one that feels the best and shop around for the best deal.
    glock 24 is a .40 competition version of a g22 but its not made anymore

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I love my Sig 229, but have a Glock as well.

I guess it's like a Toyota or BMW thing. The Glock is dependable, and will get the job done. It's also extremely-reliable, and forgiving, with readily available parts. The Sig will, however, probably performs (shoot) better. If someone broke into my house, I'd probably want my Sig (if I were to grab a handgun). If the apocalypse came and I could only choose one handgun to be crammed into a bag with loads of other junk, it'd be a Glock. Sigs are expensive, but they cost a hell of a lot more you make.

I don't know about any of the other guns, but the best answer is, shoot a few and see which one shoots better for you.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Of the ones you have listed, I would go for the Sig. if you can find a CPO or good used one it will price out about the same as the others and they are great guns. If price isn't a big issue, look at an HK P2000 or USP. I favor the P2000 because I like the ergonomics. HK gives you some optons on the trigger system, which can be had with the LEM trigger or DA/SA.

But, then again there really isn't much to worry about in the others you listed, so just go with the one that makes you happy.

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    what about the Stoeger 40? It's roughly the same size as the PX4 and kicks a whole heck of a lot less. Full disclosure, I have the Stoeger and really like it.

My brother in law has the PX-4 and I got a chance to shoot it the day after XMAS. Maybe it's me, or maybe he just happens to have one of the guns with the issue, but my trigger finger was almost numb from the "trigger sting" after shooting one magazine. There is a fair amount of debate over on the Beretta forums about whether the PX4's have "trigger sting." I've shot the PX4 in 40 and 9 and while it wasn't as noticeable in the 9, I definitely felt it in the 40.

I've only shot the XD in 40 one time. At the time, it was the gun I really thought I wanted. However, once I shot it, I found I really didn't like the texture on the back strap and was glad I got a chance to shoot one before I bought I made a mistake and bought one.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I bought a PX4 Storm in .40 S&W. May be the most accurate pistol out of the box I've seen. Very easy to shoot.

My neighbor tried my Storm. Two days later, he cancelled his order for a Kimber and bought a PX4.

rusty2008

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Thanks for all the input I was out looking today and yesterday. The glock 24 is a long slider . If they don't make them anymore do you think if I Found one NIB I should pick it up? Will people want them at a later date as a collector? The reason I ask this is because I found one yesterday and it was nice just a little long but I bet it would shoot great. The reason I like the PX4 is because I have small hands and it just felt right in my hands. I have not shot one yet but hope to soon. I have shot the gl23 and like it. I like the hammer and decocking feature on the PX4

SIG-SOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    DFW
    My wife has PX4 Storm in 9mm. Excellent gun, very accurate. Had a few FTF on the first trip out but after that no problems. I have a P229 SAS in .357 and a .40 drop in barrel. An excellent pistol, never a single failure. A bit pricey but worth it (it was my first gun). I got a Glock 26, 9mm for Christmas - funest gun to shoot ever, accurate as heck, you get used to its small size quick. My next purchase, if I do buy another, will be a Glock. They are simple, ugly, easy to use, and always works. Having shot the 9mm, 357Sig and .40 I'm not sure the .40 is worth the extra ammo cost over the 9mm. Good luck.

txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    Glock, XD, S&W M&P are all good. Find which one fits you best. I like my G23 a lot But, it won't function reliably with a Streamlight TLR-1 light attached to the light rail. My G19 works fine with it. Go figure.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Oh yeah, the long slide. I should have known that. The G17L in 40. Probably killed by the G35.

Still are made by Glock in limited production runs about every 2 or 3 years on average. They released the last batch of them onto the market in 2009. Academy snapped up a bunch of them and the 17L models and if you look around you can still find them there. The 34 and 35 did replace them in the Glock line up, but they aren't gone for good.

malladus

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I guess it's like a Toyota or BMW thing. .... If someone broke into my house, I'd probably want my Sig (if I were to grab a handgun). If the apocalypse came and I could only choose one handgun to be crammed into a bag with loads of other junk, it'd be a Glock....

....the best answer is, shoot a few and see which one shoots better for you.

I second what WhoDat said. My EDC is a P229 SAS .357 SIG and it is my baby. However, I have fired all of the guns you mentioned and they are all good guns. My only beef with Sigs in general is that the factory action BLOWS for the price they are charging. My P229 and P239 are at Actions By T right now getting worked over. Most of my LEO friends carry glocks or XDs and love them.

Test them all out, feel them, and see which one is most comfortable when shooting.

Top Bottom