Looking to pick up an AK in Dallas area. What are the go-to shops for commie guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Title says it all. Looking to pick up an AK chambered for 7.62mm. In the past I'd have driven down to Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth but I'm hoping there's some place closer to Dallas with a selection of commie guns. What can you recommend?

-Mark
    Texas SOT

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    Not sure but be leery of the Century RAS47 and C39V2. I have seen a couple with fairly low round counts that exhibited abnormal bolt/carrier/trunnion wear.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Original Ft Worth Gun Show is 2-3 Jan 2016 at the Will Rogers Center, it's got 1200 tables. I highly recommend it.

I agree with cbigclarke on I.O., they have a horrible reputation, and some of the Centurys have had problems; but my C39v1 has been a hit.

Still, if I were in the market I would look at the new production WASR-10s or a DDI. Also try Atlantic Firearms online, they have a great selection.

Cheers! M2

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I hit up RifleGear in Plano today for a WASR-10. Looks pretty solid. RifleGear was quite professional and the shop looks great. Very clean and upscale.

-Mark

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    sorry to hijack, but are saigas readily available at stores? Just sold mine in CA and would like to get a new one in the upcoming months

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    sorry to hijack, but are saigas readily available at stores? Just sold mine in CA and would like to get a new one in the upcoming months

You can find them, but it's tough and you can expect to pay a pretty penny for one. Obama imposed a ban on certain Russian imports back in July 2014 in response to Russian actions in the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.

Executive Order 13661 sanctioned Russian gun maker Kalashnikov Concern (formerly Izhmash), the manufacturer best known for its popular Saiga rifles and shotguns.

Firearms already owned by Americans or in the secondary market were not affected by the sanctions.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    yeah, i knew about the stupid EO. Atlantic doesn't even have them in stock, and they are asking $699. I hastily sold my converted saiga for $700, barely anything down the pipe.

were on sale here in Socal. recently for $529 or so, just don't have the cash at the moment, with our upcoming move to the free USA.

hopefully all the dems go away and our next CIC does away with all the stupid EOs... and Saigas and WASRs go back to $350 :D

I've sold a few of the unsellables recently and the Saiga is going to be the more difficult to recoup when I get to TX

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Go for one of the new production WASR 10s or a DDI instead.

I doubt we'll see cheap AKs again anytime soon, if at all... :(

But we can always hope! :D

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    WASR 10 (new production) is the best value for what you get nowadays. Just shot mine for the first time this past weekend, so accurate out of the box.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    not familiar with the new production, is it still a century rommy single stack?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Reviews have been saying the new furniture looks great, rivet work looks great, furniture doesn't have any gaps where it meets the receiver; mag latch, trigger guard, gas block, and FS don't seem to have any visible cant, and the barrel (inside and out) looks superb. Not a single sliver or piece of shaved metal from the magazine cutout. The inside of the receiver was clean and well lubricated. Feedramp, BCG, and spring were 100%.

q9uAQhf.jpg

Atlantic Firearms (who are always honest about things) said Century has really stepped up their game with the WASR rifles over the last 1 -2 years and they keep getting better. They QC the rifles as well, much like the Henderson Defense WASR-10/63 I picked up a few years ago. They are a safe bet, just note that mag wobble is not an inspectable item as it is so common on these rifles and varies greatly between mags; but it likely won't be excessive. If by rare chance it is, Atlantic has replaced ones in the past...

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have ordered two AK's from Preppers. Both Yugo's have been solid and have approx 500 rounds through both.

20151106_213136_zpsv1bhvhsj.jpg

20150517_210535_zpsqjcphxct.jpg

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    i hope the NFA thing doesn't get stepped on, would like to get a m92 underfolder one day to replace the one i recently sold..

sorry @Exile Machine for the thread jack! You have served us well on CalGuns!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Slightly off topic but still 7.62 commie FA. What's the Mak90's going for these days?

Stamped or milled? Straight or slant cut receiver? What caliber (they also made them in .223 and 5.45 x 39)? What kind of shape is it in? What furniture is on it/comes with it?

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Stamped or milled? Straight or slant cut receiver? What caliber (they also made them in .223 and 5.45 x 39)? What kind of shape is it in? What furniture is on it/comes with it?

Norinco Mak90 7.62x39 with stamped slant cut receiver. Original wood furniture. Excellent condition purchased before they were banned.

Top Bottom