Join TexasGunTalk

Lost Gun Treasures Rediscovered

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Glenn B, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I would NEVER try to drive any personal vehicle we own to Mexico or Canada.

ZX9RCAM, Inspector43, BRD@66 and 2 others like this.
  2. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

I've heard of people putting away guns and just forgetting they owned them until they rediscovered them years later. I don't know how many guns you'd have to own to be able to legitimately forget about one that you owned, but I aspire to eventually get that many. :p

For me, I will occasional forget that I bought some piece of reloading equipment. Not too long ago, I nearly bought a duplicate of a 30 cal mold I already owned. I have no recollection of ever buying that mold, and it had never been used. It was still taped shut from the factory. I just happened to come across it right before I was going to order a new one.

I will occasionally forget I own a certain set of dies because I either never reload for that round (looking at you 6.5 Carcano), or because I bought them before I bought the gun they were going to be used for, and I just didn't end up buying the gun.

I once found about 200rds of 45 ACP I had forgotten about.

Glenn B likes this.
  3. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I only remember I have a trailer hitch on the back of my pickup when my shin tells me.

We're pretty sure that when dad sold his house in Aldine after 50+ years of ownership there were at least 3 handguns left in the attic...brothers and I moved insulation around for almost 8 hours, and only found 5.

We also found more 20 loaded M1 carbine 20 round mags...despite the fact that dad gave away his carbines decades earlier.

4. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

That’s the best 4 letter word generator I know.

5. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county

By 20, do you mean 15 or 30? If they are 30's and are actual USGI, thats quite a bit of money

6. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    My bad: There were 20 some-odd 30 rounders. All loaded. He had almost 100 total 30 rounders between the attic, closets, and barn.

He bought 2 pallets of m1 carbine ammo between 1967 and 1972, and another pallet of mixed mags. He also bought 4 crates of carbines.

Of the loaded mags, 3 of them had noticeably collapsed springs, but he rest were all fine. Pretty wild for sitting there since about 1980 to 2007.

ZX9RCAM, Southpaw, zackmars and 2 others like this.
  7. candcallen

candcallen Well-Known

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'll bet it looks better than the plastic POS you find today.

If you find one for a mossberg I'll buy it from you. I mean since you forgot you had it.

Im just a poor boy but I've found a lower some parts and an original scorpion flash light. The light still had the melted lense on it. In the melted pouch. I was searching a car and found some MJ. I put the light in my pouch to cuff the driver and about 45 seconds later I was wondering what that burning smell was. I used horizontal pouches and they had flaps on them and since it was daylight I left the light on. It was pre LED and those bastards get hot. Well suffice it to say I tossed it in a box and forgot it for 20 plus years.

I'm always hearing about guys who find guns n crap. All I find is crap, maybe I should keep the dogs out of the house.

Glenn B likes this.
  8. Armybrat

Armybrat Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    A few years back during the great ammo shortage, I found 13 full bricks of forgotten .22 lr while cleaning out the hall closet.

Glenn B and TxStetson like this.
  9. Glenn B

Glenn B Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    That was a nice find.

10. Reinz

Reinz Well-Known

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I posted this on another forum site, but will post here since it applies.

My town does a bulk trash day twice a year. I took a couch out to curb and figured that I better look between the cushions for keys, knives, remotes or money. Hey, I found a gun! It was a SW99 I stashed there 5-6 years previously.

23f7bb3d89146fb062b48fd28b56966f.jpg