• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    Hi. Registered for the LTC in a couple of weeks. I figure I’ll be taught all the legalities and responsibilities associated with being granted an LTC. With that said, from y’all’s personal experience, what are some items not taught in class that I should know about?

thanks in advance.
    Guns International

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I figure I’ll be taught all the legalities and responsibilities associated with being granted an LTC.

I think you figured wrong.

To be taught all the legalties alone would take weeks of class time, and that's after months of class time to give you a grounding in the law that you'd need to understand the more complex topics.

Think of the class this way: The state of Texas is not in the business of standing in between you and your Second Amendment right to bear arms. That's why you can openly carry a long gun with no license.
    However, for concealed carry and handguns, they feel you need to be aware of some things. So Texas is going to make sure you've heard the barest minimum of laws you need to be aware of (awareness != understanding), and if you're smart, you'll quickly understand how very little that really is, and how much more you should get to know.

That's the part you might consider as...homework, and if you're wise, you'll be doing the homework for the rest of your life: keeping up on the law, changes to the law, threats to your Second Amendment rights and just as important, your firearm skills. But the LTC class is nothing more than the handful of hours necessary to keep you out of jail, and make you aware of all the homework you should do, with a tiny bit of time reserved for you to prove that you actually know which end of the gun the bullets exit.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    They usually cover basic stuff pretty well. It mostly depends on the instructor, but you probably won't know how to judge one until you've experienced carrying for a while. There's no way anyone will cover it all - you'd need a stint in law school and a career as a lawyer to get close to that.

I had a crusty old instructor who talked about all sorts of interesting ways to fight and kill people in viet nam, and some kinds of lowlifes he had to deal with in a career as a cop, and how he loved taking on other government departments in pissing matches when he knew he was right. He also said that the best way to win is to not fight in the first place, and spent a lot of time focusing on avoidance, de-escalation, and training to stay familiar with your gear. And that unless someone is threatening direct harm to you or your family, the best way to handle a situation is to stay back, be a good witness, and call the police.

Those last two points would be significant in any evaluation I'd make of a potential instructor.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The three most important things to learn - aren't really "taught" in the LTC course.

1.) Situational Awarness
    2.) Threat Assessment
    3.) Threat Avoidance

Of course, as always, this is my opinion, YMMV!(I hate that acronym)

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    The three most important things to learn - aren't really "taught" in the LTC course.

1.) Situational Awarness
    2.) Threat Assessment
    3.) Threat Avoidance

Excellent points to remember. I like nr. 1 best because being aware of the situation gives one better opportunity to win the fight...by not being there if possible because of what one observes in nr. 2 and 3.

This Truth about Guns blog goes further; (photos below are from article which are good examples of what not to do...all the time)

We’re Living in a Different World Now – Let’s Talk About Situational Awareness

Attachments

• woman-phone-situational-awareness.jpg
      woman-phone-situational-awareness.jpg
      59.7 KB · Views: 45
    • Kensington_Park_man_with_mobile_001-1920x1799.jpeg
      Kensington_Park_man_with_mobile_001-1920x1799.jpeg
      213.8 KB · Views: 43
    • woman-headphones.jpg
      woman-headphones.jpg
      75 KB · Views: 45

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    #1 And most important, know which end is the most dangerous.

#2 Start studying now, and get back to us in a few years.

I only say #2 due to the fact that I am constantly learning something new in the ever changing environment.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Short version- Kill or be killed. Rule #1 ALWAYS make sure it's the first. After that, no statement to LEO. ID yourself and keep it cordial and simple with something like "I stopped the threat and will reserve my statement until in the presence of my attorney." Never give any details to LEO. You might go to jail. If so, let the attorney do their job.

At this point, it's the great un-known. But you are alive, and the perp is not. That's rule #1

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He also said that the best way to win is to not fight in the first place, and spent a lot of time focusing on avoidance, de-escalation, and training to stay familiar with your gear. And that unless someone is threatening direct harm to you or your family, the best way to handle a situation is to stay back, be a good witness, and call the police.
    Excellent wisdom!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The course teaches what is needed to pass the test.

TPC 9 is a good place to start. Defenses to prosecution available in 30.06/.07 are good to know.

The course and instructors emphasize signage. In the real world, they don’t matter until you’re asked to leave and decide to stay anyways.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

1.) Situational Awarness
    2.) Threat Assessment
    3.) Threat Avoidance

From the Wilson Combat channel

Situational awareness is often underestimated, but it's crucial for our well-being. The concept dates back to the teachings of Pierce Brooks, a LAPD officer who emphasized the importance of knowing where you are when you need to seek help.

Follow the "three stupids" rule: don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. Pull your head out of your app.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I have found this website (TGT) to be a wonderful resource for understanding the different rules pertaining to carrying and using a firearm.

Just start following some of the threads that address shootings or self-defense and read through them. You’ll see sometimes there are disagreements and arguments on some of the points, but it helps identify areas you might be lacking in knowledge. A lot of members are very knowledgeable on the laws and will post them in defense of their arguments also. Again, this place is a wonderful resource if you’re willing to follow the threads and read the posts.

Of course most of the guys on here are not lawyers (but we do have a few), but they have decades of LTC experience and knowledge.

You will also find a ton of opinions and a ton of facts on the site also.

Hope this helps.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Hi. Registered for the LTC in a couple of weeks. I figure I’ll be taught all the legalities and responsibilities associated with being granted an LTC. With that said, from y’all’s personal experience, what are some items not taught in class that I should know about?

thanks in advance.
    If you think you have to poop, don’t fart.

LeeEnfield

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2023
    San Antonio, TX

thanks in advance.
    Don't be dumb

Avoid confrontation,
    Don't brandish,
    Don't try to be a hero,
    Don't take your gun into a bar,
    Don't take your gun where the rules are properly posted.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX

thanks in advance.
    Plenty good advice here already.
    Just bring a notepad to class, pay attention, write down important penal codes so that you can read them later. (there will be many, don't rely on memory, trust me)
    One interesting things not mentioned in class I can think of right now (and many more that I cannot think of) is what they call "dress around the gun". Often, you need to pick attire that fits your EDC (Every Day Carry). But if your attire is the limiting factor, you gotta find the right gun, holster and ammo pouch.
    Oh another thing (yay, I remembered) that they usually don't teach in class is the need for a spare magazine. Not always for extra bullets but because even a magazine can fail. Auto-loader pistols do not function well without a magazine feeding bullets under spring pressure.

And why wait two weeks? Why not take the class now? You can PM me if you would like to do it this weekend.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Plenty good advice here already.
    Just bring a notepad to class, pay attention, write down important penal codes so that you can read them later. (there will be many, don't rely on memory, trust me)
    One interesting things not mentioned in class I can think of right now (and many more that I cannot think of) is what they call "dress around the gun". Often, you need to pick attire that fits your EDC (Every Day Carry). But if your attire is the limiting factor, you gotta find the right gun, holster and ammo pouch.
    Oh another thing (yay, I remembered) that they usually don't teach in class is the need for a spare magazine. Not always for extra bullets but because even a magazine can fail. Auto-loader pistols do not function well without a magazine feeding bullets under spring pressure.

And why wait two weeks? Why not take the class now? You can PM me if you would like to do it this weekend.
    If you read the gun laws before you go to the class you will already know what you need to know. Then you have to know how to load your gun and shoot it.

Top Bottom