Target Sports

M&P 15-22 Build with every modification I can throw at it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    The M&P 15-22 is a great little rimfire AR, it just flat out works right out of the box, it's accurate and reliable. That said, I've personally felt it could be better in some areas. For me it always felt like a youth sized gun in my hands. At first I decided to just upgrade the handguard along with the stock and grip. Of course like all gun junkies that just wasn't enough and I had to keep going. Now here I sit, overbudget and with a box full of parts. My simple furniture upgrade has now morphed into a full on build. So here we go!

Here's everything I'm throwing at it.

Volquartsen

Lightweight Carbon Fiber Barrel
    20 Hole Comp
    Exact Edge Extractor
    Sure Strike Firing Pin

BattleArms Pro MP15-22 Ambi Safety

Aim Sports 10" M-Lok Handguard

Tacticool22 Barrel Nut

Magpul

CTR Stock
    MOE Grip
    QDM Sling Swivels
    QD Mount
    MS1 Sling
    Backup Sights

Slate Black Industries Handguard Grips

SLR Rifle Works Billet Hand Stop

CMC Triggers 90503 2.5 lb Drop In Trigger
    CMC 91403 Anti Walk Pin Set (Mandatory for an aftermarket trigger in an M&P 15-22)

Next Level Armament Charging Handle

Here's what I know about compatibility of standard AR parts with the M&P 15-22.

A standard AR trigger group will drop in, I think you can use the standard M&P15-22 trigger pins with a standard type AR trigger. You'll need the the CMC anti walk pin kit with a drop in trigger. Wider trigger pins are required due to the receiver being wider than a standard AR. Which triggers will work reliably, I can't answer that. The CMC trigger was highly rated for the M&P 15-22 so that's what I've chosen.

The only aftermarket safety I've found for the M&P 15-22 is the Battle Arms Pro, a standard AR safety wont work, again this is due to the receiver width.

The stock M&P 15-22 pivot pins and bolt catch will also have to be used, standard AR parts are a no go.

The magazine release is the one part that will roll over from a standard AR receiver.

Standard AR stocks and grips are also compatible.

To use a standard AR handguard you'll need to use a Tacticool barrel nut. Stock AR barrel nuts are not compatible. You will likely have to modify a standard AR handguard as well again due to the M&P's non standard width.

Here's a mock up of the rifle.
    OH0HAZO.jpg

ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I didn't go step by step through the teardown because trust me, if you've built an AR before there just isn't anything new here. It's all the same with the exception of the barrel nut and barrel.

The stock trigger is a bog standard AR trigger like you've all seen before. With the exception of it having wider pins there's nothing new to see here, I'll throw it in the spares pile.
    8DwkZtZ.jpg

That's what your left with after a complete tear down. The buffer tube is molded as one and of course there isn't a buffer.
    vhzHIdP.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    To remove the stock barrel you're going to need a barrel wrench from Tacticool22. I no longer have the stock barrel nut as I tried the handguard that Tacticool22 offers shortly after I got the rifle. I also found their handguard to be too small for my hands.

Expensive for what it is. If you need to remove your barrel and plan on reusing the barrel nut then PM me and I'll send you my wrench, I don't want it back as I have no use for it. If you're replacing your barrel nut then I'd just use a pair of vice grips to remove the stock unit. You could also just put a towel over it so you didn't mar it while using a pair of pliers. The stock barrel nut is secured at less than 10 foot pounds of torque, it should come off really easy.

This is the barrel nut that came with the Tacticool22 handguard which I didn't like. It would be easier for me to replace this barrel nut with one of their universal models, however I don't feel like buying another one so this one will have to be modified to fit my handguard.
    i6Do0Lm.jpg

Once the barrel nut is removed the barrel assembly slides out through the rear of the receiver. It seats in the two slots that the bolt slides on.
    Y9TOUmj.jpg

Note the metal sleeve where the barrel extension seats.
    VDUvVZa.jpg

QLZ87WS.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    To get a standard AR handguard to fit I found that some trimming was required. Depending on which handguard you use it may not be necessary but don't quote me on that, just expect that you may have to modify your handguard of choice. I think the Tacticool22 universal barrel nut may eliminate the need for modification but since I don't have one I can't confirm that.

I cut my handguard to match the old one and it fit nicely after that. I'm going to Cerakote the whole rifle so I'm not concerned about the finish.
    5MXmk7p.jpg

I've got a little more trimming to do as the handguard also contacts the front pivot pin just a little.
    dxh0zL3.jpg

I'll also have to file some slots into the barrel nut I'm using so my handguard anti rotation screws can pass through.
    ntdLUss.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    This project is going to take some time as I'm going to Cerakote the whole thing, just about every part in fact. I'm going to try putting a camo pattern on it just for fun so bear with me.

For those just here for the trigger replacement I can confirm that the CMC trigger drops in and I've function tested it. They're not joking when they say it breaks like glass! You'll have to wait on a shooting report as I have a long way to go.
    oz04iDw.jpg

tOH34k9.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    So, what is your end game ?

Just a nice shooting and unique M&P 15-22. Yes I could have bought any number of precision 22 rifles but I like doing my own thing. I also like building and experimenting, my Cerakote job might come out like crap but I'll still have fun trying. Some people only enjoy the destination while I enjoy traveling the road to the destination.

Last edited:

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    What's the purpose of running back up irons with a scope?

Usually you run a BUIS as a quick way to acquire a target if your RDS goes down for whatever reason. Since this isn't a defensive weapon and there's is no need for a quick transition to iron sights and with that particular scope mount you will need a tool to remove it, to use the irons. I say use the scope or the irons, but not both in this situation.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Looks like a fun project if you've got the money to burn. I'm partial to 10/22s and I've thrown a few dollars into them. It's probably the only semi auto I've seen produce bolt gun accuracy. My former boss ballooned a magazine years ago on a mp15-22. He had an OOB ignition which I hear doesn't happen anymore thanks to a design tweak. Keep us updated. Maybe even post some 50 yard groups when it's completed.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    What's the purpose of running back up irons with a scope?

Usually you run a BUIS as a quick way to acquire a target if your RDS goes down for whatever reason. Since this isn't a defensive weapon and there's is no need for a quick transition to iron sights and with that particular scope mount you will need a tool to remove it, to use the irons. I say use the scope or the irons, but not both in this situation.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

It came with them.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Looks like a fun project if you've got the money to burn. I'm partial to 10/22s and I've thrown a few dollars into them. It's probably the only semi auto I've seen produce bolt gun accuracy. My former boss ballooned a magazine years ago on a mp15-22. He had an OOB ignition which I hear doesn't happen anymore thanks to a design tweak. Keep us updated. Maybe even post some 50 yard groups when it's completed.

Yeah I'll do some testing to 50 yards, curious to see if the carbon barrel is better than the stocker. It's a lot lighter than it was before yet it feels great in the hand with the full size hand guard.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Who'd of thought upgrading an M&P 15-22 out of boredom would be so divisive.:green: Then again I'm know for such radical ideas as indoor plumbing and the horseless carriage.

cK2byim.jpg

Top Bottom