Made my first "mall walk" tonight

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by 69rrvert, Dec 4, 2009.

1. 69rrvert

69rrvert New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Angleton, Texas
    My CHL came in last week but I am just now getting a chance to try it out because I have been working. I can't carry ANY type of weapon on company property. That includes ammo as well. Jusy a pocet knife and that's about it. The family and I made a trip to the mall for a little shopping so I figured what better place to carry for the first time. All went Ok but got a little nervous when the two mall cops (sheriff deputies) were in the vecinity. :fighting0002: Thanks, Steven

2. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    In time you'll get very accustomed to wearing your firearm. Soon you will have to make mental notes on where you can't go as it will be just as normal to grab the pistol as your cell phone and car keys.
    With your pocket knife you may normally tap it to see if it is staying put. With a concealed pistol this is an obvious tell.
    When you first put on the pistol in the am and when taking it off at night practice your draw. Different clothes don't always allow access you would expect.

3. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Very true. Hell, sometimes I will grab my weapon, but forget my wallet or cell phone!!:lolz:
    As for felling nervous, getting my CHL and carrying actually made me feel more comfortable. But I had just come from being in Iraq for a year, so it felt "right" to have a weapon on me. I kept getting nervous thinking I did not have my M4 with me.....

4. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009

5. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX

6. mw1158

mw1158 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    San Anotnio
    I HAVE heard after a while you feel naked without it. Just got my license in the mail today

7. Englishman

Englishman Member

Jun 24, 2009
    The New World
    I did my first carry this past weekend too. I personally felt unbalanced, uncomfortable and conspicuous. I guess at the moment I fell more likely of getting caught printing than I do a confrontation with a bad guy.

Hopefully this will pass.

8. sv6er

sv6er Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Yes, it will. Just don't let yourself ever leave home without it. Carry all the time, not just when you feel like it.

9. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I know the feeling when you are first carrying... you worry about every little thing. But after awhile, you'll come to know that you are not breaking any laws, and most LEO's in Texas are pro CHL. So as long as you stay where you are supposed to, you're just as in line with the law as driving the speed limit and wearing your seat belt.

And congrats on your new CHL.

10. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    After a while you start to act like a women picking out a purse or a pair of shoes.
    Hmmm should I carry the big blue 45 or the medium sized 40 or maybe my Kal-Tek in 9mm.
    Does this holster go good with my shoes - ROFLMAO!!!!