• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've had Omaha STeaks before. It comes packed in a styrofoam cooler. Meat was OK. I've been buying grass fed beef from a certified organic farm in OK for a couple years.

Grass fed (finished) meat is much leaner, but is rich in Omega 3's instead of the the bad Omega 6's that normal beef has.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Sneaky farmers have been cutting grass letting it dry in place while the creatures great and small piss and poop on it, then rolling it up for later.
    Okie farmer, handful of hay in one hand bang-stick in the other. He gives the hay to a cow. As the cow chews he applies the bang-stick. "There ya go Tex, grass finished." LOL

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    My nephew always sends me some for Christmas. The flavors okay but I actually prefer the flavor of choice beef from Tom Thumb.

But I do like the styrofoam coolers they make great light boxes for doing macro photography. And pouring a little water on the dry ice creates fog.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Prepare to be underwhelmed.

By far, the best beef I’ve eaten is grass fed prime beef. Take it home, lose the package, and let it dry age in the open in the beer fridge. You can use a rib stand for the bbq to minimize space.

Individual cuts can be done in a couple of days; a whole prime rib that needs to be butchered can take three weeks or more.

While you’re dry aging the beef, switch to bourbon because you really want to keep a constant temp and humidity inside the fridge. Every time the door is opened, that gets changed and can muck it up.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Sneaky farmers have been cutting grass letting it dry in place while the creatures great and small piss and poop on it, then rolling it up for later.
    Okie farmer, handful of hay in one hand bang-stick in the other. He gives the hay to a cow. As the cow chews he applies the bang-stick. "There ya go Tex, grass finished." LOL

You don't cut hay and let it dry in a pasture with other animals in it. Most hay isn't even cut in fields that have had any grazing on them for months.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I’ve had Omaha and another, wellness meat, or something. We tried the latter when we were trying to do the While30 thing. They make bacon without any sugar or added nitrates/nitrites. Expensive, but healthy.

If your looking for steaks I’d buy from a local place.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Never tried it, but always heard Snake River Farms was really good. I know a lot of guys on the competition BBQ circuit use them. But just looking at their website, I can get filets at a third of the price from my local butcher that are outstanding. Don't see any way theirs could be that much better.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Buy a cow and have it butchered.
    Yep. There are plenty of local hog and beef ranchers around who will be happy to sell you a whole or half carcass, butchered, and it will cost a LOT less than buying the same meat in individual packages at the grocery store. And probably be better quality. I'm partial to Frydeck Farms for pork.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Buy a cow and have it butchered.

That’s what my family did the whole time I was growing up. But we had “connections”!

My granddad raised black Angus for sale. My dad would yearly have one “set aside” for the family. Rented “a locker” at the slaughterhouse (-50 deg F) and we’d have our beef needs met for the year. Most years, same with the hogs - not raised for commercial sale (unlike the cattle) but a few kept to supply the family with pork, bacon, sausage, shoulders & ham.

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Yep. There are plenty of local hog and beef ranchers around who will be happy to sell you a whole or half carcass, butchered, and it will cost a LOT less than buying the same meat in individual packages at the grocery store. And probably be better quality. I'm partial to Frydeck Farms for pork.
    There are lots of folks that will split one with you as well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom