• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I'm planning a Fall trip to Yuma and want to make sure I can mail (UPS) my 2 rifles (secured in a case) to myself. I'm going for another Iron Butt ride there. 1200+ miles under 24 hours on the Road King.
    DK Firearms

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You cannot UPS your OWN rifles to yourself? How would they do the transfers on weapons I already own?

Im not sure how that works. I know if you pawn a gun, when you go to get it back they have to do a NICS check for you to retrieve your own gun. I was always under the understanding that you could not ship a gun across state lines unless it was to an FFL...

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    It's perfectly legal to ship a firearm to yourself in another state for hunting.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Im not sure how that works. I know if you pawn a gun, when you go to get it back they have to do a NICS check for you to retrieve your own gun. I was always under the understanding that you could not ship a gun across state lines unless it was to an FFL...

You may never come and get the weapon so the pawn shop would have to destroy the weapon, thus losing the money they gave you. In reality, you are temporarily/permanently selling the gun to the pawnshop. If they own it, it's gotta be on their FFL books.

It's perfectly legal to ship a firearm to yourself in another state for hunting.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

I thought that was true but wanted to be sure.
    I'm looking forward to my 4th and 5th Iron Butt awards on the trip.

Thanks, jasont and texascop2.

Top Bottom