• ...and so much more!
  • Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Howdy!

I carry a Springfield 1911A1 5" GI Parkerized and I wonder what I can do to make it more comfortable in a Smartcarry.

I've marked the parts that poke or are just uncomfortable when they rub on flesh.

1911A1-GI.jpg

I'm thinking about changing out the grips too.

What should it cost me to have this thing blued? The Parkerization scratches and comes off pretty easily. I should have gotten a blue or stainless one.

Suggestions?
    DK Firearms

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Arched Mainspring + Pistol Lanyard ---> Flat Mainspring Housing (Tons of makers)
    Hammer ---> Cut down by gun smith, or you can replace it with a lightweight option (Tons of makers)
    Grip Safety ---> Beavertailed grip safety, prefer the high-grip models (Tons of makers)

Try Brownells.com for million different options out there.

In the long run you might be better off saving this pistol as-is, and buying a more carry oriented 1911. Maybe one of the loaded stainless SA 1911s.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Or a much better way to carry.

I'd rather change the carry method (easy to carry in a good holster) than spend the money to bastardize the gun. Or by a gun that's more suitable for that method of carry.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've felt the GI pistols are a great platform for a build. They shoot well out of the box but can be upgraded.

For pistol parts I suggest you spend some time browsing Brownell's website. You'll find more than what you're looking for. Beware credit cards - its easy to fill up that shopping cart!

As for the carry method, I also suggested an upgrade. Cramming a Govt pistol where a compact should go isn't my idea of comfort. If the smart carry is the absolute only way you can carry (tucked?), well, the old saying "A gun should be comforting not comfortable" does apply. Otherwise I suggest an IWB carry method.

Incidentally, you won't find relief changing out the grip safety to a beaver tail. No matter how you slice it a GS will protrude. If you change out the hammer to a ringed or oval version, you will have to change out the GS for clearance.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    The commander style hammer, and beavertail safety, take some of the bite out of carry. As far as the msn, that is personal preference. I saw a cool one the other day that was flat, but protruded like an arched one, I would like to try that.
    I carry a full size 1911 a lot and find it a little heavy, but good leather makes a lot of difference.
    Find out that thing shoots before you start changing things and spending a lot of $$$$
    Be Good and be accurate.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I liked the Hogue rubber grips with the double diamonds and they are cheap as well. About $10 Govt. Model Rubber grip Panels Checkered W/Diamonds Model 1911 [45011] - $16.95 : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

The ones I keep on my gun are the Simonich micarta grips. I love them. A little on the high side. I bought them 4 years ago and they were $65. ...:::Simonich Knives:::... Although I do switch them out often with Punisher logo'd grips that I bought off of ebay

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    It shoots very well. Right after I got it I had to send it back for ejection problems. Wow! Talk about value added service! They not only replaced the ejector but did a trigger job and a few other things that made it really smooth.

I will check out Brownells. I can't help but think that the wider safety and a wider hammer like the old style (I've always liked them.) will be just a tad less pointy.

I tried it in the Smartcarry at 12 o'clock for a while but that didn't work so when someone suggested wearing it at 11 o'clock, I tried it and that makes all the difference in the world. I wear it low and at 11 o'clock (I guess in the afternoon I'm defenseless. LOL) so when I sit, the gun lays on top of my left thigh but occasionally I still get the poke in the belly from the hammer and safety.

I'm thinking of trying a Kholster.

Any thoughts on my blueing question? I haven't had a gun blued since 1980 and that cost around $50 in Lafayette, LA. It was a S&W Model 10, 5" bbl.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Rather than having it blued, check out Brownell's DuraCoat product. I used it on my Marvel .22 converison and frame and it seems to hold up very well. I did have my Gold Cup reblued a couple years ago and it was under $100.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    In the long run you might be better off saving this pistol as-is, and buying a more carry oriented 1911. Maybe one of the loaded stainless SA 1911s.

This is really sage advice. This is not the gun for you to put in a smart carry if it's not working well. Sell this one (if you have to) and go get something Commander sized perhaps if you are mated to the 1911 style. Or take a look at one of the smaller 45's... Sig P220 Carry or HK USPc45 or a Glock 30.

There's plenty of smaller 1911 styled out there that have corners smoothed off and such for carry.

I've chased my tail a few times trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Good luck.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    It shoots very well. Right after I got it I had to send it back for ejection problems. Wow! Talk about value added service! They not only replaced the ejector but did a trigger job and a few other things that made it really smooth.

I will check out Brownells. I can't help but think that the wider safety and a wider hammer like the old style (I've always liked them.) will be just a tad less pointy.

I tried it in the Smartcarry at 12 o'clock for a while but that didn't work so when someone suggested wearing it at 11 o'clock, I tried it and that makes all the difference in the world. I wear it low and at 11 o'clock (I guess in the afternoon I'm defenseless. LOL) so when I sit, the gun lays on top of my left thigh but occasionally I still get the poke in the belly from the hammer and safety.

I'm thinking of trying a Kholster.

Any thoughts on my blueing question? I haven't had a gun blued since 1980 and that cost around $50 in Lafayette, LA. It was a S&W Model 10, 5" bbl.

Another holster to look at is an MTAC that CompTac sells. Houston area company. It's a combo leather and kydex IWB holster that you can actually buy different kydex pieces for and swap out your carry weapon while using the same basic holster. I've got Kydex for my G27, USPc and Sig P220 full size. I'm a large guy and I have very little problems concealing even the 220.

IWB isn't necessarily supposed to be comfortable but these holsters really just get to where I don't know I've got it on sometimes.

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

Also, a great gun belt was a surprise to me. I didn't think it'd make a diff, but it really did. With my old crappy belt, I'd have to cinch it up extra tight to keep things in place. Not overly comfortable. With my Beltman belt, I just get it comfortable and the belt supports the holster quite well.

We all go out and buy high dollar carry guns, but then often cheap out when it comes to holsters and belts. Makes little sense. Your 1911 ,as it stands today, might be quite comfortable in an MTAC. (Unless you're forced to use the smartcarry for deep concealment purposes)

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Well, maybe what I'll do when I have the money is to just get something like the Colt Defender or something around that size. I've come to the conclusion that one inch off the barrel like the Commander isn't going to do much good for me. I'll keep this gun though. I've always liked the full size 1911's. If I'm in the woods, it'll be a 44 mag on my side and the 1911 in a shoulder rig under my vest or coat. Depends on how cold it is.

I agree about the belt. I just got a 1 1/2" gun belt and it makes a lot of difference. Very thick and heavy. I tried it with the cheap Kydex holster that came with the gun. Holds it pretty well. I just don't really like that holster.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Well, I figured a way. Instead of modifying the gun, I modified the holster. I cut the edges off of a Folgers coffee container lid and safety pinned the circle left over to the back of the gun pouch section of my Smartcarry. Now when I wear it, the plastic is between me and the gun safety and hammer. I still wear it at 11 o'clock because the barrell needs somewhere to go when I sit. I'm going to give it today and tomorrow to see if this will last and if I will have to get a little thicker piece of plastic.

I can see now though that the safety pins will have to go. When I decide to keep this modification, I'll put a few stiches in place of the pins.

I'm sitting at my desk working and wearing it now. Pretty comfortable compared to an hour ago.

I really dig the Smartcarry holster or pouch, whatever you want to call it.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Yes - as stated above - this is not the type of gun Smartcarry was made for.

Get a belt Inside the Waist holster - try carrying it at 4pm. Much more comfortable!

I've been wearing it for over a week now with the modification and it's pretty comfortable. It's invisible too. I'm wearing it with some cotton shorts (the kind that look sort of like swimming trunks) and it hides quite nicely. I've been outside gardening, inside cooking dinner, chores, etc and it's fine. Just have to have it in the right position so the barrel is on top of your thigh and the grip ends approximately at the zipper when carrying a big pistol like a 1911.

Doesn't work with snug or tight pants. I wear 40's but still have some 38's that are a little snug and won't work with the 1911. The problem is getting your hand into the waistband and it prints with snug pants.

I keep the old pants and jeans because I'm hoping to lose some of the weight that I've gained in the last two or three years. Then maybe I can get into those 34's in the closet. Hard to find 40's in my length. Nobody makes good pants for tall guys in that width that don't cost an arm and a leg.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I never could make smark carry work at 12 o clock, even with a keltec. It sticks ya when ya sit down. Never worked for me.

I think ya would be happier with an IWB holster at 4pm.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I never could make smark carry work at 12 o clock, even with a keltec. It sticks ya when ya sit down. Never worked for me.

I think ya would be happier with an IWB holster at 4pm.

I agree. I tried and tried at 12 o'clock and it didn't work. On the advice of someone on this or another board(I forgot), I shifted it to 11 o'clock (maybe 10:37?) and it works fine and with my modification it works even better.

I'd like to try a tuckable sometime though.

Top Bottom