• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Dillon just shipped my parts to convert my XL650, this is getting ready to be a lot more fun. :)

Here's a pic of the transformation from 5.56 to 300BLK

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365812848.602876.jpg

I've chopped, polished, necked, trimmed, and swaged close to a thousand, and have my last batch in the tumbler, now.

No more single staging it for this one, time to fill an ammo can!!
    ARJ Defense ad

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've been doing the same but with -06 based brass and converting them to 8mm Mauser. Only thing I want to change is the head stamp some how, preferably to represent the new caliber, but at least just a mark through of the old caliber. I'm finicky about people shooting my firearms because I'm worried they'll pick up an old -06 case that's converted and try to chamber it in the wrong gun (some people are persistent enough to force it to work).

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Nice!!
    How long did it take you to cut and form all of that brass?!?

I can cut them down quick, sizing is simple, trimming is the pain. I use a 3/8" electric drill on high speed and the Little Crow Worlds Finest Trimmer.
    Trimmer is awesome, but the case is so short that it makes it tough to hold.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I can cut them down quick, sizing is simple, trimming is the pain. I use a 3/8" electric drill on high speed and the Little Crow Worlds Finest Trimmer.

What about annealing? I was going to ship mine off to a guy that converts for $.08 per round plus $.03 for annealing. Is it necessary?

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    What about annealing? I was going to ship mine off to a guy that converts for $.08 per round plus $.03 for annealing. Is it necessary?

I'm not gonna sweat it. Hoping that by the time these necks start to fail, I'll either have an annealer or factory brass will be avail.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I'm not gonna sweat it. Hoping that by the time these necks start to fail, I'll either have an annealer or factory brass will be avail.

What annealer? And nice semi dodge on the question lol.

I take it from your response it's a good idea. Remember, I'm brand new in this reload game.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Pliers work well for that.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Have you tried the Lee case length trimmer? It's a breeze on other rounds. I bought one, but have not had the occasion to use it yet. It's really easy to hold using the Lee drill chuck.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

I was curious how well the Crow's WFT worked. It gets good reviews and I've watched the video demos of it. I thin probably the goved hand like you said will work best. Utilizing a tool that has to be put on or a case put in would be even more tedious and severely slow the pace down. Though I'm curious if it would work, how about some black fuel hose with a plug (so the case doesn't slip in too far). Slide a case in the hose, use the hose to hold the case and spin it for a little longer handle, pull the case out and do the next one. The tension wll have to be just right though. Might be more trouble than it's worth if you aren't losing fingers lol

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    They make vise grip pliars that are designed for welding tubing together...the jaws have tubing clamps. Just a thought, might be a good gripping platform....

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Have you tried the Lee case length trimmer? It's a breeze on other rounds. I bought one, but have not had the occasion to use it yet. It's really easy to hold using the Lee drill chuck.

I use the lee. I'll chuck the cutter/length gauge in a drill press and lower it down on a piece of mild steel plate that I'm holding the case against. The gauge contacts the plate and I just hang onto the case. No chucking and takes 10 seconds or less per case. I use gloves to hold the case, as they'll tend to want to spin sometimes, especially after a rough initial trim.

I've got a few different caliber tool heads for my Giraud that make trimming a breeze, but no 300...yet...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom