making a gas pump

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by country_boy, Nov 1, 2009.

1. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have some 3/4" thick plastic barrels that were former dr pepper syrup barrels and was wondering if I could build a hold tank/pump for gas on the farm? Do they sell gas pump line etc, or is this a bad idea?

2. rsayloriii

rsayloriii TGT Addict

May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I think the first, and biggest, problem you're going to run into is what plastic is the barrels made of? Gasoline will eat through some plastics.

3. Jason

Jason Well-Known

Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    It is likely to be illegal to do that...

4. fuelfather

fuelfather Well-Known

Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    I dont believe it is illegal to have a fuel tank on your ranch property. Although I do believe there are some permits involved. If you call up a shop that does trailer and pump services like Wertz here in San Antonio, they have the components like the pump and hoses. You could also call TSC or Northern Equipment.

5. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Another thing to think about is how often woould the fuel get used, it can go bad and also you'll have to worry about evaporation.

6. Texsun

Texsun Active Member

Feb 26, 2009
    In addition, gas stations will only allow gas to be used in aprooved containers.

7. HarleyMechanix

HarleyMechanix Member

Oct 22, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Most gas cans are made of plastic. Dont know about being illegal but its your property. You might have a hard time talking the cashier at the quickie mart to let you pump 250 gallons though.

8. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    lol just give them a debit card and start pumpin! if they come outa and yell at ya , drive the truck to the next one down the street

9. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    actually I will use it frequently. I wont be taking the barrel up but, every time I go to the gas station I fill up a 5 gallon can. So I was thinking every time I do that, just pour it all in a hold tank. The barrel is only 30 gallons.

10. fuelfather

fuelfather Well-Known

Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have a customer I deliver to out in Pipe Creek that has a truck driver bring in his 1ton dually and fill a home made fuel cell once or twice a week at 275 gallons a pop. You could always buy an in bed fuel cell/tool box.