Guns International

Man started a gunfight in a gun range/shop. Found out why that was a stupid idea.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

ImVho, any law-abiding adult who does NOT get licensed & does NOT carry a handgun in 2021 is "NUTS", as the armed/criminal predators are out there in large numbers & SEEKING HELPLESS unarmed victims to PREY UPON.

just my OPINION, satx

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Working at a local range a while back opened my eyes to the dumbassory some people have in regard to gun safety and just basic common sense.
    You should work with Leo's during qualifying and use of force training.

The over familure and the inexperienced are 2 sides to the same roulette coin.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    You should work with Leo's during qualifying and use of force training.

The over familure and the inexperienced are 2 sides to the same roulette coin.

candcallen,

I've seen some REALLY STUPID things done on the police ranges by "experienced law enforcement officers".

Fwiw, I once was present on a county police range in Baltimore County, MD, when a Deputy Sheriff managed to shoot himself through the palm of his left hand, while loading his Beretta Model 92.

As far as I know, it was never determined what EXACTLY he did to shoot himself in his "weak hand".
    (Personally, I think of a Beretta 92 to be about as "idiot-proof" as a K-Frame S&W revolver is.)

Of course (as the saying goes), "NOTHING can truly be made 'idiot-proof' as idiots are so ingenious."

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That was then. I grew up the same way in the 50s. In my experience, not very many of today's parents think that way.

Why was a 5th grade male teaching??? :what:

bbbass; Vaquero; All,

The way that the 3 of us were raised is HOW a great many vicious sex criminals managed to evade arrest, conviction & prison, as "in our day", as the vast majority of adults BELIEVED other adults absent 100% PROOF that the other adult should NOT be believed AND that severe "corporal punishment" of one's own children was PEREFECTLY OK.

ImVho, there MUST be a "medium case" between "modern permissiveness" & the way that we 3 "children of the 1950s" were raised.

FYI, I have arrested & testified against any number of parents, during my LE career, for SAVAGE BEATINGS like I received as a child by my parents..

just my OPINION, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Before you decide that the way that MOST of us "children of the 1950s" were raised was CORRECT, may I suggest that you consider the meaning of a verse from THE WISDOM OF SOLOMON, "Strike your son & teach him to SIN."

yours, satx

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    AusSchwaben,

That experience in my childhood ........
    (FYI, the MOST common reason that sex criminals are NOT ever punished is that the victims are too ashamed to talk about being assaulted, molested or raped.)

yours, satx
    USMPR, Retired

20 years ago an adult youth minister from Kansas roped my 12 yo daughter in online. They were making travel plans for her when we found out.

I‘m not dumb enough to expose my plans on the internet that I had for him.

Cooler heads prevailed and we went to the FBI. They were willing to go all in, but they talked us out it explaining the long term mental effects that testifying would have on our daughter.

After that I called and had a “come to Jesus meeting” with that sh*t stain. I guess that’s better than me being in prison.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Fwiw, I once was present on a county police range in Baltimore County, MD, when a Deputy Sheriff managed to shoot himself through the palm of his left hand, while loading his Beretta Model 92.

In Georgetown at the DPS range to qualify as an LTC instructor. Was told there would probably be some who did not pass. Sure enough, came in for the range qualification day and someone was missing. Apparently he was practicing drawing from the holster in the hotel and ND'd through the wall into the adjoining room. He was not allowed on the range to qualify after that incident.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    20 years ago an adult youth minister from Kansas roped my 12 yo daughter in online. They were making travel plans for her when we found out.

I‘m not dumb enough to expose my plans on the internet that I had for him.

Cooler heads prevailed and we went to the FBI. They were willing to go all in, but they talked us out it explaining the long term mental effects that testifying would have on our daughter.

After that I called and had a “come to Jesus meeting” with that sh*t stain. I guess that’s better than me being in prison.

Reinz,

And you wonder WHY I have NO USE FOR the FBI & want that agency ABOLISHED.???

yours, satx

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    SATX, there are two sides to every coin, and unintended consequences abound to every human practice.

I wouldn't say that ceding absolute authority to adults was always a good thing. Nor would I say that unqualified/automatic belief that children always tell the truth about molestation is a good thing. THAT era certainly had some consequences, and a more balance approach was needed. Taking things on a case by case basis is the only way forward that will work fairly, at least some of the time. No investigation of a case w/o physical evidence is 100% certain.

My original point was to agree with the poster that many of today's parents automatically defend their children. Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes not. When it's public, usually not. (My mom defended me against a Catholic school that didn't like my acting out in a disruptive manner. Turns out that I was smart, and bored, and they didn't have time to make things interesting for an unusual child. There were no programs for gifted children. In the end, I was expelled and had to go to public school. But yay for Mom for trying!)

Human beings will always have criminal behavior amongst us, and it is the nature of some criminal activity to be done in secret, rather than boldness. I'd say most. It is what it is.

I'm a victim of familial sex abuse by one of my brothers thru my teens. Told very few people and esp not my parents. My dad had what he thought of as "sexual adventures" with his older sister in their teens. I guess it's a family tradition.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    20 years ago an adult youth minister from Kansas roped my 12 yo daughter in online.
    More than 20 years ago, I was roped in by a 12 year old girl online. She was pretending to be 26 and fascinated with older men.

Her mom (divorced, dad not around) found out, reviewed all her past chat logs with me, and contacted me. She thanked me for being a positive influence on her daughter who was really a precocious genius but very troubled. The mom was a cardiologist and lamented that she spent so much time working that she hadn't seen the signs of her detachment from her kid earlier. They managed to patch things up and wound up closer than ever.

The mom confided in me. We talked about the situation several times before I wound up going on a couple of dates with her when she was in Texas for business.

Life can be really, really weird.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In the end, I was expelled and had to go to public school.
    That's how I got expelled from a fancy-schmancy private kindergarten. The principal told my parents I was retarded and would need close care for the rest of my life. He did that right in front of me as he handed them a refund for the tuition they had paid.

We left, went to an IHop, and had pancakes for lunch. That was probably the best day of school I ever had - I didn't have to stay all day and I got pancakes for lunch. That's a good day to a 5-year-old kid.

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    In Georgetown at the DPS range to qualify as an LTC instructor. Was told there would probably be some who did not pass. Sure enough, came in for the range qualification day and someone was missing. Apparently he was practicing drawing from the holster in the hotel and ND'd through the wall into the adjoining room. He was not allowed on the range to qualify after that incident.
    While not quite as bad, we also had "that guy" in our LTC Instructor course... He knew everything and made sure everyone else in the class knew as well.. Tall, lanky old cowboy.. Wore his hat in class, boots up on the desk, toothpick in mouth, just. a real blowhard... Was going to qualify with his old SA 45lc.... I don't think we got though the first 10 rounds during range quals. before he got pulled off for unsafe handling of his firearm... Sad part was that this was his second go round to try and pass the course, apparently he got kicked out of the class before for being stupid.... Guess some will never learn....

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    SATX, there are two sides to every coin, and unintended consequences abound to every human practice.

I wouldn't say that ceding absolute authority to adults was always a good thing. Nor would I say that unqualified/automatic belief that children always tell the truth about molestation is a good thing. THAT era certainly had some consequences, and a more balance approach was needed. Taking things on a case by case basis is the only way forward that will work fairly, at least some of the time. No investigation of a case w/o physical evidence is 100% certain.

My original point was to agree with the poster that many of today's parents automatically defend their children. Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes not. When it's public, usually not. (My mom defended me against a Catholic school that didn't like my acting out in a disruptive manner. Turns out that I was smart, and bored, and they didn't have time to make things interesting for an unusual child. There were no programs for gifted children. In the end, I was expelled and had to go to public school. But yay for Mom for trying!)

Human beings will always have criminal behavior amongst us, and it is the nature of some criminal activity to be done in secret, rather than boldness. I'd say most. It is what it is.

I'm a victim of familial sex abuse by one of my brothers thru my teens. Told very few people and esp not my parents. My dad had what he thought of as "sexual adventures" with his older sister in their teens. I guess it's a family tradition.

bbbass

FYI, I've NEVER in over 4 decades known of a case where a child under 10YO "made up" or "imagined" a case of sexual abuse, indecent assault, incest, rape and/or .other "sex crimes".

That's WHY an expert in EARLY CHILDHOOD BEHAVIOR,(like my former partner) is vital to a proper investigation of "crimes against children".

yours, satx

Top Bottom