• Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    xx.gif

Mandatory Military Service.

The subject, mandatory military service. this subject comes up occasionally, many thinking that serving a mandatory period of time in one of the branches of the military would be good for every young person just leaving high school. In some ways I use to believe that as well. Now, not so sure.

Just some background on my thoughts an opinions. When I was still in high school, I wanted to join the military, primarily the Marine Corps, but due to medical issues beyond my control, the USMC denied my application for medical reasons, as did all of the other four branches of the military. (Yes, I even tried the Coast Guard) But my thoughts were, that joining voluntarily made it much more personal and had more meaning in terms of doing a patriotic duty. My father tried to get me to join the Air Force and my uncle was trying to push me towards the Navy, and had my grandfather been alive, I am pretty sure he would have been steering me to the Army! Well I wanted to join the Marine Corps. partly because I thought they were the meanest toughest SOB's that ever wore a uniform and partly to aggravate my entire family. But I wanted to enlist, to be part of a special fraternity, to be part of something much bigger and better than myself.

That is why part of me disagrees with making military service mandatory. I have to wonder if such individuals could be trusted when needed, since they are being forced to be there. In my way of thinking, I'd trust someone who volunteered faster than someone made to be there from mandatory requirement. I know some people cite that Switzerland does have such mandatory requirement for military or public service, and it does seem to work there, but IMO, I think their thoughts and cultures are much different than ours and they have been doing it for many, many years now.

Part of me thinks it could be bad, but part of me thinks it could be good, instilling values and ethics into the younger generation and making them appreciate what our veterans have been through.

What does everyone else think?
    Venture Surplus ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Axxe55,

As a retired service member, I personally don't want anyone in our Republic's uniform who does NOT desire to be one of our comrades in arms.
    (When I was first in the Army in 1969, we still had draftees & a large percentage of the "didn't want to serves" were WORTHLESS to our unit.)

just my OPINION, satx
    USA, Retired

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Interesting question.
    I have always thought that mandatory military service was a good idea. But you and others have brought up valid points.
    I feel that today's generation really needs the things military service would teach them, more than ever before, but i dont know that they would really learn anything much from mandatory service.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

In 2020 about ONE PERCENT of Americans currently serve or have ever served in the US Forces.

As we are ALL volunteers, that's PLENTY.

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    There are plenty of people that volunteer to serve our country. Mandatory drafts are a thing of the past.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I think limiting it to some years of military service is thinking too small, but the concept is right.

It should be 2 (or whatever) years of public service, and the military can be just one of those options.

There's nothing wrong with a young person serving, say, in our National Park system, helping to maintain them, keep them clean and safe. There's tons of work that needs to be done in many areas of public life. National monuments, museums, infrastructure, you name it.

The same point still applies -- that having served, one now has "skin in the game", some life experience, perhaps even the beginnings of a marketable skill, a slightly elevated level of maturity, and a realization that one is not entitled to everything America has to offer, rather it takes hard work to preserve it.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I was drafted at the age of 19. Did my basic training and AIT (advanced infantry training) at Fort Polk. Would I have joined otherwise, I don't know, didn't give it much thought. I had two very good friends that went to Nam the year before I was drafted. After only 12 days in country, one was KIA and the other was shot up so bad, we thought he wouldn't make it, but thankfully he did. But I went and applied my self to learn everything the army was teaching me to , hopefully, come back alive. in basic, a few went AWOL, were returned and left again. Don't know what happened to them later.

To me, basic and AIT were great learning experiences. Taught me how to control my temper, not take others words personal, how to survive, basically be a team player.

Do I think everyone should spend a couple of years in the military? Back then, yep, now nope. I think back in the 60's and 70's, most people loved our country more than they do now.

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    I think limiting it to some years of military service is thinking too small, but the concept is right.

It should be 2 (or whatever) years of public service, and the military can be just one of those options.

There's nothing wrong with a young person serving, say, in our National Park system, helping to maintain them, keep them clean and safe. There's tons of work that needs to be done in many areas of public life. National monuments, museums, infrastructure, you name it.

The same point still applies -- that having served, one now has "skin in the game", some life experience, perhaps even the beginnings of a marketable skill, a slightly elevated level of maturity, and a realization that one is not entitled to everything America has to offer, rather it takes hard work to preserve it.
    I’ll just keep the oil and gas flowing out of holes in the ground, raising kids with morals and voting for the right people. That’s my contribution.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I don't think military service is right or good for all - the volunteer military is the better way to go. That said - I like the concept put forth in Starship Troopers (the book moreso than the movie) - Service Guarantees Citizenship - any federal service would suffice. It would require revamping *all* of our fedgov agencies and take a Constitutional amendment to implement - removing birthright citizenship and the benefits thusly - but as mentioned before, anyone who participated in some sort of public service would have a better understanding of the world, and have skin in the game. Those who chose not to voluntarily participate are eliminated from eligibility to vote, and I would say that they should generally be ineligible to receive more than the most basic of social welfare programs.

Some folks are born with the calling to serve in their hearts. Myself I enlisted back in 2002 a cpl months after we invaded Iraq, and wound up being sent home exactly a month after getting to Ft. Leonard Wood. Next to marrying my ex-wife, not fulfilling the 6 year active contract I signed is the biggest regret I carry with me. Been 18 and a half years and it still bugs me today.

I think we could craft a system that rewards volunteerism, without forcing anyone to be someplace or do something they don't want to do. You can quit any time, but you don't get citizenship and the benefits thereof. Would it create 2nd class citizens? Yes, but we already have those. They're called the working class and the poverty stricken. Give everyone the *opportunity* to serve in a role that suits their talents and abilities as a low-paid intern or volunteer for a couple years out of high school, before college (one of the benefits of service could be something like the GI Bill or military college fund where part or all of your schooling gets paid for as a thank-you for serving)

I just don't see such a system ever actually being implemented unless we undergo another revolution or civil war.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Force anyone to do a job they don’t want and they will be the worst employee you could ever have and only learn to despise whoever it was they worked for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^this. But to add basic tng at Ft Polk on top of that! Wow, way too much!

Top Bottom