• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    leander
    I have a new Model 60 and have a problem with empty casing ejection.
    The bolt gets jammed with the empty casing and no bang bang.
    I have shot under 200 rounds on this thing. It is picky with ammo and won't feed hollow points. I use CCI mini-mags or Federal and the feed issue is ok. Just not ejecting the casing. I have cleaned it before and helped maybe a wee bit.
    Now I have taken it apart and there is metal shavings everywhere! Even in the stock!

Is this normal or do I have a lemon. Haven't finished the cleaning and will test shoot soon--just wondering if anybody else has seen this in a new gun??

Thanx,

Carl W:deadhorse:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I haven't owned a ''new'' model 60, but I have had a couple .22 that didn't like mini mags causeing them to FTE.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    So is the case getting stuck in the chamber or will it just not get kicked out?

If it's getting stuck in the chamber perhaps some metal shavings are underneath the extractors and they aren't holding onto the cartridge rim well enough.

If it's not ejecting there should be a leg of a spring resting on top of the cartridge feed throat (that metal block where the magazine tube goes into). That part of the spring is the ejector.

In either case I would also figure out where those metal shavings are coming from.

Termitehunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sounds like a lemon.
    I have one that I have been shooting regularly for 27 years. It was new when I got it and it ate, and still eats everything.
    Had to replace the plastic recoil buffer, recoil spring, feed ramp, and extractors just 1 time.
    I don't know how many rounds have been through it. My kids shoot it now. If I were to guess there must 40,000 plus rounds through it and its very reliable. You get the occasional hiccup associated with .22 rounds but nothing wrong with the gun.

Where are the shavings coming from? That certainly isn't normal. There must be signs of excessive wear already if that's the case.
    I do know that the extractors can be a bit sensitive also.

carlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    leander
    Thanx for the help!
    The shavings are from the ammo I think, from a few of the mis-feeds.
    I took the gun apart as much as I dare and I am hoping I found the issue.
    Those two little finger-looking things on each side of the breech bolt may have been a bit gummed up. I cleaned everything I could including the niches on the side of the barrel where those finger things fit into as the breech bolt goes forward.

I'm am still not sure what pops the empty casing away from the breech bolt 'holddowns'. I may need to figure that out. The casing was getting pulled out of the barrel, it just wasn't ejected from the rifle before the breech with the new cartridge would hit it and jam.

Tired of getting teased by my shooting buddies for have a single-shot semi-automatic! :banghead:
    Then I pull out my Mosin and destroy their targets. hahahaha

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Okay, do you see the metal block between the thumb and fingers?

Slide25a.jpg

The spring leg that rests on the top and left is what flips the case out of the rifle. Make sure it sits in the little grove on the top of that metal piece and it's shaped like in the picture.

carlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    leander
    That is the PERFECT picture for my next question!
    Thank You!
    Update! Sorry if this is long-winded but maybe others can get some info. via my typing and from
    all of the cool people on this site!
    I took the gun apart yet again and this time I tried to sand/polish up one side of the Breech block.
    The reason is that I saw a video of a gentleman who had problems like mine and he said he polished up his
    gun and it never had a prob. again.
    Sooooo, I polished up one side and the top edges of the Breech block. The parts I sanded were unlike the other sides of the Block in
    the sense that they were 'unfinished metal'. There were rough and pitted and black with something so I cleaned them up.
    I also sanded all of the black coating inside the rifle
    itself. There were wear marks where the breech was sliding back and forth so I cleaned it up good
    and they slide very well now.
    Now for my question regarding the above photo. My lifter/ejector spring is straight but is 'above' its channel--it touches the bottom
    and top corners of the breech--from the side there is a gap between the spring and its channel.
    It lays flat and straight on top of the breech block whereas It the spring in the photo is bent/oriented inward and
    the end is in open space where mine lays flush/flat and straight on the Breech block. So, should I bend mine to match the photo?
    I will try to donwload a picture but this site hates my camera.

Thanx a million for all the help and patience.

Carl W

Top Bottom