• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I went to Academy today to look at the Marlin XS-7... the young behind the counter kid said it was not available any more
    Is it?????????

Want an inexpensive accurate .308 and thought the Marlin XS-7 was a good pick.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Marlin still makes them. He may have been just shrugging it off trying his best to not do any work. Or it could have been that they didn't have any at that Academy. Next time youre there, ask them to do a PIM search and tell you if there are any available at any other stores. They may groan about having to do so much work but it is in their agenda to help the customer and know how to locate an item at another store.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I went in Acadamy the other day and saw a beautyful emgraved 1911. It had a bunch of native american stuff on it. I wanted the thing. I told the guy standing in front of me to let me see it and he said he couldnt do anything else at the moment, sir!!! He said i'll have to get one of the others to help me. I looked down the show case and saw a woman all the way at the end with 5 people standing there lookin like their all fixin to be late for something.
    I told the guy never mind, I wont buy it from them and left!!!
    I bought a .17 HMR from them in Janurary and they have never had any ammo for it in there. I wont buy another gun from Acadamy!!! They suck!

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I used to buy guns from academy all the time until I met someone that could give me a better deal. They always seemed like it was such a hassle to help me out and gave me attitude even though I was in there to spend 5 to 600 bucks on a gun. I just use them for reference now, to handle the guns and see if I like it before I get it from my FFL. I make it a point to take my time and annoy them as much as possible now.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I used to buy guns from academy all the time until I met someone that could give me a better deal. They always seemed like it was such a hassle to help me out and gave me attitude even though I was in there to spend 5 to 600 bucks on a gun. I just use them for reference now, to handle the guns and see if I like it before I get it from my FFL. I make it a point to take my time and annoy them as much as possible now.

I wouldnt do that, noooo, not me...

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    The gun shop's around here have plenty of them.....You will love the .308. I have four as to date, The .308, .25-06, .30-06 and 7mm-08. For the money they are hard to beat and the out of the box accuracy is top notch.....As for Academy, I use to drive a truck for them and will never shop in their store again.......

Ray

eclipse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Grapevine
    I have had good luck with the Academy in Grapevine. The young folks are pretty friendly and one is quite knowledgeable. The manager of the store is a good guy that goes out of his way to help you. I guess each location is different.

I would like one in 308 also.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    There is a review of the Marlin "XS7" in November's Shooting Times magazine. They now refer to both the long action and short action guns as "X7" models. The author reviewed the long action version in March 2008. He was very complimentary of the X7 in .308 (also available in .243 and 7mm-08). Final quote, "The X7, in present and future models, is not just a great budget-priced rifle, it's a great rifle period.". The future model comment refers to the heavy-barreled versions in .308 and .22-250 due out this fall with 26" barrels instead of the current 22" barrels.

Sounds like a serious contender for my next center-fire rifle.

eclipse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Grapevine
    There is a review of the Marlin "XS7" in November's Shooting Times magazine. They now refer to both the long action and short action guns as "X7" models. The author reviewed the long action version in March 2008. He was very complimentary of the X7 in .308 (also available in .243 and 7mm-08). Final quote, "The X7, in present and future models, is not just a great budget-priced rifle, it's a great rifle period.". The future model comment refers to the heavy-barreled versions in .308 and .22-250 due out this fall with 26" barrels instead of the current 22" barrels.

Sounds like a serious contender for my next center-fire rifle.

I had not heard about the heavy barrel rifle coming out, thanks for the heads up. I will have to keep my eyes open for one. I really need a nice shooting 308.

MrTwincolts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Robstown, Texas
    I have had good results with the Academy down here in Corpus. They are always real polite and helpful, but every once in a while you get a lazy kid behind that showcase that does not strive to be helpful! I just wish they would carry a bigger variety of guns.

Top Bottom