• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    There was a thread about a range in Kempner that I posted on earlier about this weekend. I tried to get back to it, and got a permission denied error. I don't know what happened to it, but I figured I would post it here in this section..... Hopefully this is OK......

I heard about a range called Texas Star Shooting Range in Kempner. I have never been there, but plan to check it out on Sunday. If anyone in the Central Texas area wants to join, let me know. I will be there with my wife and kids (12 and 14) and my father in law has expressed interest as well. Waiting to hear from him before I finalize a time, but I am thinking probably a 10 start time (they open at 9) and shoot for 2-3 hours, then maybe grab lunch somewhere.

If anyone is interested, let me know. Love to meet some new faces. If you come out, I will be in a TGT hat and possibly a TGT shirt.

Here is a link with prices and info. I picked Sunday because kids 15 and under shoot free with an adult......Saving money is a good thing, maybe I can get gas this week.

Home - Texas Star Shooting Range
    Capitol Armory ad

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Hadn't heard from anyone on this thread, but will give a range report tomorrow. It will probably be later than 10 when we get there, but before noon. If anyone else plans to go, please shoot me a PM with your number, or just a PM with interest and I will send you my number. That way I can let you know when we will get there. Started redoing my AR lower earlier and just finished it up. Can't wait to test it with the upgraded trigger assembly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Texas
    I'm going to be in Killeen Monday..
    But good to know, maybe next time.
    I usually shoot out in Troy.. But I'll definitely check it out next time I'm close by. Thanks for the info.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Thats for a meet, this was just scstuff

Man, everyone slaughters my name....it's scgstuff. not scruff, not scuff, not scstuff.....what is with everyone. If it's easier, try Shawn. That works also.....

BTW....name came from when I first started signing up for forums, I created a mailbox for junkmail.....you know the "stuff" you don't want.....so I used my initials and the word stuff. Now, it is one of the main email boxes I use and I have other junkmail accounts......

So, impressions and pics starting next post.......

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Well, made it to the range. Got there later than we planned, but that was because everyone slept in....which was nice. This was the first weekend we didn't have anything to do, so we enjoyed it.

Got there and checked into the office. They have 3 range areas currently and they are still working on the range and expanding. They have the tactical bay, which is where we spent most of our time, the pistol range where we spent some of the time and the 100 yard rifle range. Most of our rifles are .22s with iron sights, so that was a little long and we didn't spend any time over there other than just peeking at it. Seemed to be a really nice setup with elevated platforms and chairs with benches. They said you could shoot from the bench or prone.

The pistol bays currently are not covered, but they said they would have a covered area by the middle of June. When looking on the website the other days, it said they were open from 9am-7pm Saturday and Sunday. They now have hours Thursday - Monday with the first and third Monday being ladies night. They have a selection of rental guns that they apparently let the ladies use free of charge on that night. Wish they had a guys night, because they had some I would like to try.......

We did meet tx-transplant and tx-transplantess out there. We shot with them in the Tactical bay before heading over to the pistol area. So, nice to meet you two! Hopefully we can get a little larger meet setup and meet some other people out there too. We were there for about 2 hours, then split for a little while (I forgot a box of ammo for one of the guns I wanted to shoot and the magazine for the other new one....grrrr). The fee is for the day, you can come and go as much as you want. We brought my father in law and mother in law when we came back....Melissa brought the camera then also.....

Well, here are some pics.....

Pop-pop bringing out the Judge.....
    tssr1.jpg

Me playing with my AR.
    tssr2.jpg

Jonathon watching me while Pop-pop was getting ready and Rebekah was posing for the camera.
    tssr3.jpg

Covered seating area behind the pistol range. Grandma was resting in the shade....
    tssr4.jpg

Jonathon with the .38 special.
    tssr5.jpg

This was the Tactical bay setup. 3 fixed steel targets, the 6 dropping plates, 2 paper target holders (1 in use) and a steel zombie....the zombie was a steel target that when the brain was shot, would spin.....really fun to play with.
    tssr6.jpg

Grandma, Rebekah and Jonathon taking a break.....
    tssr7.jpg

Pop-pop playing with the Judge.....
    tssr8.jpg

These steel plates were REALLY fun. The 6 plates were reset by a rope so the range didn't have to go cold.....
    tssr9.jpg

Rebekah showing proper marksmanship.....keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to pull it......
    tssr10.jpg

Rebekah showing her bad habits. Worked with her several times, but double action she used 2 fingers....grr.......
    tssr11.jpg

Grandma and Rebekah. Rebekah knocked 3 of the 6 plates down with the .38 revolver....
    tssr12.jpg

Great day at the range, and can't wait to get back. Nice to have a range like this as close as it is. Only took about 15-20 minutes to get there....and we were driving slow since we didn't know where we were going.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Can't get away with shit around here. Nice lookin range, and you username gives me a headache even trying to read it to myself. Noticed it was misspelled but didn't want to wrap my little mind around fixing it.....again.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Noticed it was misspelled but didn't want to wrap my little mind around fixing it.....again.

I heard that wasn't the only little thing you got.......

....ummmm.......

....errrrr.........

....yeah........

....well......

Heard you had a little wallet now too after buying the .50 BMG.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Can't get away with shit around here.
    And don't you forget that buck'o!!!

Good stuff Shawn. Nice to see a family shooting together. Some questions ....

Pop-pop bringing out the Judge.....
    tssr1.jpg
    Is that the same as the Rossi (model #?) that fires a 45LC & 410 shotty? Oooooo, want one bad!

What's the deal with Rebekah leaning back? I'm sure you noticed that too. 'nuff said

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Why you little pimp!!!

I just noticed Jonathon and Rebekah in "TGT" t-shirts while the adults were in street clothes

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    It is the Rossi Judge .410/.45 Colt 5 shot revolver rifle shotgun whatever the hell it is......It was really nice. As we left, Melissa said she wanted one. She liked it better than anything else she shot today. And yes, I have shown Rebekah the pictures and told her she should lean forward to help absorb the recoil and be ready for the next shot. I also got on her a couple times about the second finger and when the picture was taken by Melissa, Grandma was watching her and I was with Jonathon. I told her after looking at the pictures she should NEVER use 2 finger and she shouldn't lean back and she said she didn't. I showed her the pictures and she said "Oh, I know you told me, but I didn't think I was." Pictures say 1000 words, I guess.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Why you little pimp!!!

I just noticed Jonathon and Rebekah in "TGT" t-shirts while the adults were in street clothes

Well, I had a TGT hat and the TGT shirt under my button up and Melissa was sporting another Texas gun forum shirt, but she was behind the camera. Rebekah was the hit of the crowd with the pink TGT shirt. While in the office, they had her show off the shirt. And Jonathon NEVER wears just a t-shirt, but he was proud to sport it today and even went to Applebee's for dinner afterwards in just a t-shirt. I know that doesn't sound like much for a kid, but he was terrified once when we told him to go pick something up in WalMart that he might be seen without a button up collared shirt. Not sure what happened to him, but he is a sharp dressed young man......

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    It was nice meeting you guys out there. It would be nice to coordinate a meetup in the near future, and get a few more faces out. The folks running the range are some nice people, and they're slowly making improvements. Like you said, it's nice having a place close by.

tx_transplantess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Kempner
    It sure was a pleasure to meet you and your family Shawn. I agree with y'all and it sure would be nice to get a few more folks together for a day at the range.

Top Bottom