• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elrlover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2023
    Irving
    I wondering if meplat trimming and pointing is something I should be doing for ELR shooting, what do you think
    Venture Surplus ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    probably depends on the quality of the bullets youare using for your loadsbiggest factor is consistencythe more consisistentfrom one round tothe next the higher the potential for more accurate ammo

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It's not a very common practice. I looked into it years back but it wouldn't have benefitted me enough to justify the time or equipment.

If I recall correctly, at the time it was mainly benchrest shooters doing it. I really don't know if it has gained much following in the long range game.

@dee could probably chime in and offer some insight.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    It depends upon the bullet you are using but there is some consistency gains on some. The newer offerings from Berger are factory done vs some of the older popular options.

For the record I’m no ELR shooter as the farthest I routinely shoot is only a mile. I do know the more consistent you can get the vertical dispersion the better as you progress out and in the end consistency is key.

Last edited:

elrlover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2023
    Irving
    Consistency is definitely a big part, and I think a mile does make you an ELR shooter. Especially if you're using a 6.5 creedmore

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I don't think you'll see any improvement on a berger. They're pretty consistent as is.

I agree. Switch to the LRHT bullets if you aren’t already shooting them. They are already pointed.

Or even better shoot the Cutting Edge Lazer bullets. They rule the KOTM competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Consistency is definitely a big part, and I think a mile does make you an ELR shooter. Especially if you're using a 6.5 creedmore

Only creeds I own are 22 and 6mm which both get shot that far. Took my 6.5x47L that far but it suffered with a 20” tube and the slow load I run.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom