• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Merry Candlemas everyone !!!

Did you get your decorations up in time?

How are you spending Candlemas ths year?
    I'm enjoying my holiday day off.
    DK Firearms

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Sorry, Candlemas?

LOL One year I made a Merry Candlemas banner for the office and asked if we got a holiday for it because the boss griped about a Lawyer we had taking off Jewish holidays, and stated we could all have off Christian holidays, so I said Ok, I'm off on Candlemas. Left the boss scratching his head too. It's one of those made up holidays like Christmas.

Christmas then, was celebrated at the darkest time of the year, (days are shorter) the end of December. And the season of Christmas lasted until Feb. 2, the midpoint of winter, a time when both earth and human hearts can begin once again to imagine that spring might be on the way.

Traditionally, Feb. 2 would have been a joyful occasion, culminating in evening candlelit worship. As a sign of hope and ongoing promise, Christians would bring the candles for use in their individual households to the worship to be blessed for the year ahead, and the worship would end with a parade of light through the dark streets of the community.

Although in our culture today Christmas has mostly been so over-celebrated by Dec. 25 that we consider the season to be over by the dawn of Dec. 26

Celebrate Candlemas with St. David's - The Orillia Packet & Times - Ontario, CA

Groundhog Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Candlemas (Also called: Purification of the Blessed Virgin (Greek Hypapante), Feast of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple. Observed February, 2 every year, same as Groundhog day )

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    I celebrate festivus. My aluminum pole is brought out every year for the occasion.

I actually have an aluminum Festivus pole too.
    As I get older, the "Feats of Strength" are tougher, the "airing of grievances" is fun when you live alone..

Top Bottom