• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    This one is a 2 year old echo that was used heavily for those 2 years. The guy said one day it just didnt start.

Well I checked for spark, got spark its a new plug, Checked the spark assist screen its clear. The carb bulb pumps gas but it wont start.

I sprayed some starter fluid in the case pulled it multiple times nothing not even a burp. Then poured a tiny bit of seafoam once again nothing. So now today I took the spark plug out, put my finger over the hole and its not moving my finger off the hole at all. I dont have a compression gauge for that small of a hole, might not be the best way to test.. Should I rebuild the carb? Or did he use it to the limit and compression is bad?
    Lynx Defense

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    When you get it running quit using pump gas in it. You can now buy Echo brand gas at the big box home improvement stores. Even more important to use it on the newer engines due to some crap with the pollution controls and higher operating temps...................well so says my small engine repair guy. I love my Echo stuff, had the weed-whacker for almost 20 years now and it runs like a champ.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Need to get some of that for the bike.

I'd buy some for my truck if it didn't come out to like $32 a gallon, IIRC. However, for small engines with low consumption, it could be worth it.

Other option is to use some ethanol treatment. It "neutralizes" the effects of ethanol. Lot cheaper route.

Playing "CALL OF DUTY IX: DOUGHNUT WARRIOR" does not make you a "cop". -wakal

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    What's special about the special gas?

rsayloriii gave the main reason. Ethanol is bad stuff for those engines. But a few other reasons are noteworthy.

Good for 2 years in the tank. No need to drain at the end of the season. 93 octane, so a better performance. Pre-mixed so you don't have to mix it up in a bigger container, just use it straight from the can. Same mix as the Stihl chain saws so they get it also.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Easy fix. Take it out in the yard, pour gasoline on it (no need to mix), apply fire source, go buy a Stihl.

If done correctly should look something like this:

etyje4ud.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Of course, you checked the air filter to make sure that it's clean. I've also seen a few mufflers clogged. If the air won't go out, it can't come in.

Since it quit suddenly, I'd suggest a broken ring or reed. The compression test should give a healthy POP and you mentioned that it didn't. Any crack or hole in the fuel line suction side will kill it. The fuel filter "rock" in the tank can also varnish up. I've seen them LOOK OK but clear varnish clogged the filter.

If you replace the fuel line, it's hard to get the line into the tank. Never enlarge the hole in the tank! Take a hair dryer, heat the line and it will go right in the hole.

Echo's are good units. It's worth a few bucks to get it running.

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I run premium for my small engines also. I do need to watch for ethanol though. I am not sure if they put it in premium gas or not around here.

Top Bottom