• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I would love to see the school call the cops on some dude who is just showing up to drop off his kids, someone who isn't making a scene, and doing absolutely nothing that could be construed as bad. It would completely expose the administration of the schools as a bunch of pant-wetting ninnies.

Are you suggesting something like a parent dropping off their kids at the front door, in full view of the administration, with a rifle in a gun rack inside their vehicle, or stepping outside the car with a visibly displayed (and holstered) sidearm to assist their children with their belongings?? If so I would support that as a passive, peaceful, non-violent protest against their policies.
    Gun Zone Deals

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Are you suggesting something like a parent dropping off their kids at the front door, in full view of the administration, with a rifle in a gun rack inside their vehicle, or stepping outside the car with a visibly displayed (and holstered) sidearm to assist their children with their belongings?? If so I would support that as a passive, peaceful, non-violent protest against their policies.

I was thinking in Michigan where they could have a holstered sidearm in plain view and just minding their own business.

The whole slung rifle thing isn't the way to go. I know that's our only option in Texas but when I was growing up (before guns were all icky to everyone) the only time you saw someone with a rifle in town was if they had just gotten back from a hunt.

The mere presence of a thing should not induce such panic. The schools need to remember the whole story of Chicken Little. At some point this whole over-reacting lockdown nonsense will get someone killed when somebody does try to do something again.

kotetu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Houston
    I understand what you're saying kotetu, I just think since they're doing this to intimidate folks into not carrying despite it being legal that they wouldn't be much influenced by a heads-up. Notifying the local PD might be more effective however they tend to be more reactive than proactive, i.e. it might get lost in the shuffle. A phone call is simple and quick, certainly worth the attempt if only to (potentially) avoid the kids having to go through a lock down.
    You're probably right. Despite all that has happened and continues to happen I still tend to hope people behave rationally when met head on with candor and politeness.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    How is it a bad thing to recommend one get in communication and prevent such a thing from occurring in the first place? Initiating the communication line actually puts you in control of the situation.

I agree, 100%! The point I have been making is that (forgive the puns) if you defuse the situation ahead of time you disarm the opponents of their arguments. Or you convert them, if they are on the fence.
    I hear what you are saying, and I agree to a certain point.

What I am saying is, if it is the Law that OC is LEGAL, there should be no need to "communicate" with them that I will be going about my daily business as a law abiding citizen. As stated, if it is the Law, then the schools will surely know that it is legal......therefor they would knowingly be placing a false report/call to the police every time they lock down the school for a person following the Law.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI

What I am saying is, if it is the Law that OC is LEGAL, there should be no need to "communicate" with them that I will be going about my daily business as a law abiding citizen. As stated, if it is the Law, then the schools will surely know that it is legal......therefor they would knowingly be placing a false report/call to the police every time they lock down the school for a person following the Law.

And there's the rub - Michigan's list of "pistol-free zones" (terminology used in the law up here) makes zero mention of openly carried weaponry - in fact it specifically and only refers to concealed pistols, stun guns/Tasers, etc.

In case anyone's interested, here's a link to the Michigan Open Carry organization's information page. Open Carry Information | Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

kotetu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Houston

I agree with everything you said. There should be no need, and they would be in the wrong for knowingly filing a false report with the police.

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    I understand, and I agree. Note that I suggested being in communication with the school with regards to your intentions, not that one should not open carry. The idea is not to just show up and make people react because you can - that's obnoxious and counter productive. Look at all of the results of open carry in stores and restaurants. Not shining examples of success.

It's not an argument at all - it's a statement of fact. We both know that no matter how well trained the cops are, they can and do make mistakes, including firing at law abiding citizens. What we're talking about is creating a very high risk situation for one's self and others. Yes, the school would be the ones calling the PD, but it could be possible to avoid that with proper communication and caution. We live in reality, so we had better think with it too.

That's very good news! (and really is news to me) It alleviates much of my concern. Most of the country isn't like that as far as I have read in the media.

I agree, abuse of 911 is a serious crime. I doubt you could convict of such abuse though, if no false statements are made, unlike Ritchie lying in the Ohio Walmart.

No, according to me, your actions would be obnoxious. Read my post again. I'm talking about not intentionally pushing their buttons - not making them react and call 911. Instead, get in touch with them so they would know you are coming and not react like that. Turn them into allies instead of making them worse enemies. Make sense?

Southpaw was pretty clear in his post that his intention would be to make a scene every day until the law enforcement came down on his side against the school. Am I wrong Southpaw? That appears to be what you are saying - that you would put it in their face, making them react over and over again until they get in trouble. That is what I am saying is obnoxious. Read my replies here too - again, not saying don't open carry. Saying don't be obnoxious about it. Keep in touch with the school so there is no reaction.

Agreed - and our behavior reflects on us and influences our cause. Communicate with the principle and staff, let them know you're going to be carrying, and that it is legal. Meet them in person so they don't freak out. Then carry.

All of this reaction to me saying don't be obnoxious. I guess I should have spelled it out in my first post.
    I think that school would react even with pre communication

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I think that school would react even with pre communication

And if they did, whoever made the call would face legal trouble and criminal charges. Filing a false report, abuse of the 911 system, possibly harassment if it happens more than once to the same person.

Still can't find the article about the guy that actually -did- tell the school/local LEO before walking in with iron on his hip. That ringing any bells with anyone else here?

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    That video may still be around... Gives me something to look up Sunday during the family Thanksgiving gathering, and an excuse to avoid my ADH-dee-dee-dee cousin.

But yeah - while I haven't actually seen anyone OCing, people tend to not freak out about it up here, especially during hunting season (which just started a weekend or two ago up here).

Top Bottom