• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Hey guys, when I was in Kuwait, I'm pretty sure we were able to mail home letters with free postage, and I THINK people could send mail to our FPO/APO (I don't remember which one is which) with free postage as well.

Now, my nephew is in Germany and I want to send him a package and the UPS office is telling me the cheapest rate is close to $100 for a 3 lb box, and regular cards aren't much cheaper. Is there a way to get mail out to military bases at a discount? I'm sure that free mail deal was probably due to the war, but damn...there's got to be a way to lower that postage some.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'll go ask about that at the post office tomorrow. I'd rather send them a little reminder of Texas rather than just put money in thier account.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Letters shipped free from a combat zone but not to, packages were not free either way either. That being said if it is an FPO or APO address there should be a flat rate fee.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok, that's what it must have been - the combat zone thing. I talked with the post office today, and he explained the flat rate box, but it still may be as high as $35. That's still better than close to $100 like the ups store suggested.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    APO/FPO to APO/FPO is also free for both letters and packages (I think you just mark 'MPS' where the stamp goes, but it's been a few years since I've done so)

But all the APO/FPO system does is save the sender the cost of shipping overseas. Back when I first joined the military, everything was address to "APO, NY" for Europe and the Middle East, and "FPO, SF" for the Pacific.

More info...

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-dpo.htm

http://lifelessonsmilitarywife.com/?p=510

Cheers! M2

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I only sent care packages to troops in Afghanistan or Iraq in USPS priority mail boxes marked for such use. USPS had a "flat rate" regardless of weight when sent to an APO/FPO in those areas of operation.

Be well.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    APO/FPO to APO/FPO is also free for both letters and packages (I think you just mark 'MPS' where the stamp goes, but it's been a few years since I've done so)

But all the APO/FPO system does is save the sender the cost of shipping overseas. Back when I first joined the military, everything was address to "APO, NY" for Europe and the Middle East, and "FPO, SF" for the Pacific.

More info...

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-dpo.htm

http://lifelessonsmilitarywife.com/?p=510

Cheers! M2

I've never sent packages APO/FPO to APO/FPO just to or from the states but I know when I mailed letters home while I was in Afghanistan we were told to write "free" in the spot you'd normally put a stamp.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Dang Jeremy - I sent a box to a friend in Korea to an APO address. It was normal shipping with a LONG delivery - no where near $100, but the $35 seems about what I paid.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've never sent packages APO/FPO to APO/FPO just to or from the states but I know when I mailed letters home while I was in Afghanistan we were told to write "free" in the spot you'd normally put a stamp.

When I returned to Germany from Bosnia I put everything I could in boxes and MPS'd them back to Ramstein. The next day I flew home, and the day after that they were waiting for me in my APO box. They were on on the same C-130 I was! :D

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom