• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swede

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ft. Worth
    Here's a project I wanted to share that I've been working on for some time... it is a custom lower that will accept any of Lakeside Machine's .22 belt fed uppers for the AR series. Currently, they offer the Razorback, which has been very successful. An enthusiast posted a video of a 1,000 round belt dump, no stoppages, which is absolutely remarkable for a .22. I think it's a record.

Anyway, the idea was to create a custom lower in 7075 that accepts all standard AR fire control components, yet is bufferless, and fires not from a trigger, but by a butterfly setup between a pair of miniature spade grips. I wanted to capture the flavor of a WW2 crew-served weapon, c/w tripod and such.

Everything in the lower is AR with the exception of the transfer bar arrangement I engineered. The bottom of a normal trigger was ground off, and a sheet-steel bracket was bent and cut so that a force from the rear (butterfly) would trip the sear.

Right now, I am 95% done, and am looking for a good company to anodize the aluminum parts. I have contacted U.S. Anodizing, but they did not respond. Any suggestions for good Type III hard-coat anodizers is appreciated.

Start:
    bf003.jpg

Pocketing:
    bf021.jpg

Start of the trip bracket:
    bf038.jpg

Transfer bar complete
    bf067.jpg

Conical Flash hider
    bf152.jpg

As it sits:
    bf163.jpg

bf165.jpg

bf167.jpg
    Lynx Defense

Swede

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ft. Worth
    I'm having a tough time coming up with a barrel shroud or hand guard that looks nice. The LM7 upper will accept any standard free-floating AR handguard. Right now, a cheap and basic aluminum tube looks best... gives it a water-cooled look. I'd like to avoid having this thing bristle with PIC rails, as that does not look period at all. So if anyone has any notions on a cool looking hand guard, I am all ears. Likewise, a good anodize outfit.

Thought you guys might enjoy this build. There are a lot more details on this in the Lakeside forum, if interested. I hope to have it running in a few more months! And I'd like to promote Lakeside (no connection) as a company that creates some really cool products that are a lot of fun. The belt-fed .22's are pretty much unique unless you can locate a Tippmann.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It does look good. That handguard fits well.

I saw some at a NRA convention a couple years ago, maybe by someone you mentioned, and they were awesome. They looked just like smaller versions of the real thing. If I recall correctly, they ran $3k-$4k each.

Swede

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ft. Worth
    Thanks fellas. It's been an on and off project for quite a while. Real work always seems to get in the way of fun, if you know what I mean!

I picked up a no-kidding M-60 rear sight which would be PERFECT if it was 60% scale.

bf181.jpg

bf183.jpg

I'm thinking about getting my CNC bench mill going and cutting one of these out of 7075 or maybe mild steel. I am always a bit scared to do CNC, not sure why. Maybe because I suck at programming and modeling. But starting with a 1.5" or 2" aluminum or steel round, a 1/8" or 3/16" end mill could knock this out pretty easily, and then it'd be a matter of simply creating a base.

A few years ago, I put together a CNC bench mill. It's a very nice machine with ground ballscrews and servos, and a 700 Watt KaVo spindle that can do 50,000 RPM. But I haven't run it much. I did recently clean it up, greased the rails, etc, so it's ready to go. I just need to get off my rear with it.

cnc010.jpg

Swede

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ft. Worth
    I saw some at a NRA convention a couple years ago, maybe by someone you mentioned, and they were awesome. They looked just like smaller versions of the real thing. If I recall correctly, they ran $3k-$4k each.

You probably saw some original Tippmanns... They are very collectible now and command some serious coin, especially the transferable full-auto varieties. Eric at Lakeside Guns has been producing them now for a few years, and there are semi-auto kits for the 1919 and some other Browning designs. A few guys have finished theirs, and they are beautiful weapons.

1919a4550.jpg

2007-07-09_161224_1919kit.jpg

Swede this is some awesome work, dont forget to engrave the lower before you have it anodized

Thank you Sir. I plan on doing a "period" style of engraving using the little CNC bench mill. Technically it is legal to produce your own weapon (not for sale) and not give it a maker's name and serial number, but I doubt any shop is going to accept a frame without identifying markings. Plus, if the police ever take a look at it... most of them think that if the serial number is gone, then it is an illegal weapon. So it's always best to have a homemade weapon properly marked.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have one of the Lakeside uppers and it's a hoot to shoot. Now, I REALLY like your idea of the lower with spade grips. Any intention of marketing those?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom