• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Howe & Howe made them.

YEAH!!! If I win the lottery, the first toy shopping I'm going to do it on that website for sure !
    Venture Surplus ad

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    So you want to build your own "Ghost" dozer.
    Bet you plan on deleting the serial number too?
    Americans should only buy Chinese Dozers.
    Do the ads offer an 80% Dozer option?
    Don't get any MIM parts for your dark side Dozer.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Seems like a cool idea, but seems to small to do much more than a little tractor.

I was at an air show several years ago, and a guy had built something similar sized, but with a tank outer skin. Working 12 gauge with a long barrel in the turret.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've run everything from Cat 977K's to Bobcats....and many years ago, there was a similar setup made back in the 50's or so. One of my uncle's had bought one, and it made the rounds through the other 10 kids before Dad ended up with it, intending to backfill a sewer line trench with it. He started at one end of the trench w/it (age has its' privileges...lol), and I started at the other with a rake. He spent the better part of an hour, during which time I learned some significant words from deep in his vocabulary I'd never heard him used before. Long story short - me and that rake did 3/4 of the trench to his less than 1/4 - he finally got so fed up that he parked it and grabbed another rake to finish up. That "light arm pressure" on the "spring assisted arm" will wear your ass out pretty quick - and 200 lbs of material translates out to a couple of cubic feet of material at best. And from what I could see of those drive sprockets, they'd wear out in fairly short order with any amount of use. There's a reason track-mounted equipment is so expensive....and so heavy-duty.
    Personally, I'd opine that you'd play with it a while, then offload it to some schmuck at a garage sale as you lamented about how your "bad back" just couldn't handle all that raw power.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    So you want to build your own "Ghost" dozer.
    Bet you plan on deleting the serial number too?
    Americans should only buy Chinese Dozers.
    Do the ads offer an 80% Dozer option?
    Don't get any MIM parts for your dark side Dozer.
    That is 80% as the motor is on you. Lol

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Good deal. Just wanted to make sure you were not going to be surprised. The next thing I noticed was their gear for the driveshaft was a specific size….3/4” if I recall…so you might check that out to verify what I saw was correct and see what the shaft size on those engines are.
    Yes, I noticed hat as well. The engine from Harbor Freight has the 1" shaft, so either an adapter would need to be made, or a new gear, or having a machine shop bore the hole from a 3/4" to a 1" bore would need to be done.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    For some reason I figured you for having a tractor to do all the chores you mentioned!
    I have access to four tractors, but I want something here at the house I can use whenever I want to. Sometimes doing what I need to do is weather permitting and if the other tractors are tied up baling hay and such, I'm pretty much SOL.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Let me start by saying I have never seen anything like that before. Didn't even know it was a thing.

While I didn't price it all out I'm guessing you'd be close to $6k or more by the time you were done (kit, attachments, engine, shipping, tax).

To be perfectly honest I'd avoid it and rent a skid steer as needed. Or find a quality used small tractor.

Just my $0.02.
    Including shipping costs, the blade and such, sourcing my own engine, I should be still under $5K for everything.

I have owned a small tractor and have access to four, but I'm looking at a different option and direction.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've run everything from Cat 977K's to Bobcats....and many years ago, there was a similar setup made back in the 50's or so. One of my uncle's had bought one, and it made the rounds through the other 10 kids before Dad ended up with it, intending to backfill a sewer line trench with it. He started at one end of the trench w/it (age has its' privileges...lol), and I started at the other with a rake. He spent the better part of an hour, during which time I learned some significant words from deep in his vocabulary I'd never heard him used before. Long story short - me and that rake did 3/4 of the trench to his less than 1/4 - he finally got so fed up that he parked it and grabbed another rake to finish up. That "light arm pressure" on the "spring assisted arm" will wear your ass out pretty quick - and 200 lbs of material translates out to a couple of cubic feet of material at best. And from what I could see of those drive sprockets, they'd wear out in fairly short order with any amount of use. There's a reason track-mounted equipment is so expensive....and so heavy-duty.
    Personally, I'd opine that you'd play with it a while, then offload it to some schmuck at a garage sale as you lamented about how your "bad back" just couldn't handle all that raw power.
    I have already looked at the "spring assist arm" and what I have an idea of is adapting the hydraulics from the next size up machine to overcome that obstacle.

Thing is, IF i go this route, I plan on doing some DIY improvements to the machine to make it more capable.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I'd have to step up in size for that attachment, and that one is not a DIY project. Plus the small tractor my brother has already has a backhoe that can installed and removed in about 15 minutes on the rare occasions I do need one.
    Axxe,
    FYI you might also check to see if installing a non factory engine has any affect on the warranty...if there is any. I knew a friend that did something similar to another piece of machinery and the manufacturer voided the warranty!!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Axxe,
    FYI you might also check to see if installing a non factory engine has any affect on the warranty...if there is any. I knew a friend that did something similar to another piece of machinery and the manufacturer voided the warranty!!
    It does. But I'd be ordering it without the engine. This is from their website on the engines.

Q. Do you offer engine upgrades (larger HP/Torque) on the MD196K (DIY) or RS1000 for additional cost?
    A. We do not. We do offer the MD196K (D-I-Y Kit) without an engine, so you can supply your own. We do have a fair amount of people that will purchase an engine on their own and install it in the MD196K. Please keep in mind, if you do this, we cannot offer any engineering help. Your warranty may be affected as well. Another item of note, there is a lot of gearing built into both of those machines, which transfers into more power.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    It's cute, looks fun but appears less useful than a tractor. Compare a John Deere 318 sitting in the back of the shop. About the same size, hydrostatic, power steering, belly mower AND a 3-point, loader and cab available.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It's cute, looks fun but appears less useful than a tractor. Compare a John Deere 318 sitting in the back of the shop. About the same size, hydrostatic, power steering, belly mower AND a 3-point, loader and cab available.
    I am still doing some research, and watching videos. And not just the videos that Struck has made. I also received a big envelope of information I sent off for the other day that I'm reading up on.

I think for my purposes, it might just work fine. Plus, I plan on doing some modifications to make it work better for me.

Worst case scenario, I'm sure if it doesn't work, I should be able to sell it and recoup my money.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Worst case scenario, I'm sure if it doesn't work, I should be able to sell it and recoup my money.

Only if you're not the last guy to "discover" them. I remember that contraption we had.....I STILL see them scattered around where folks left 'em when they couldn't sell them. One of the key things will be weight - if that sucker doesn't exceed 1500+ lbs, those tracks will never get a decent grip. And 1500 lbs is pushing it.

Top Bottom