• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txclimber2007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    The 30-06 round was unable to load in the chamber so not a true misfire, the 9's were not tried again. I will hold onto them until the next stop at the range. Thanks!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Are they factory or reloads? If they are reloads, the primers were probably not seated fully. The first strike usually seats them and the second one will light the fire.

Flash

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I take any misfires, etc., to the local PD. I dislike trying to pull live cartridges - used to do it all the time, until a coupla years ago when I was pullin' one that had failed to load powder. About the 3rd or 4th strike with the inertia puller, the primer went "bang!".

After I got done peeling my shorts outta the bunghole an' cleanin' up in the shower, I swore that was the last time ANY round with a live primer would be in one of my inertia pullers.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I take any misfires, etc., to the local PD. I dislike trying to pull live cartridges - used to do it all the time, until a coupla years ago when I was pullin' one that had failed to load powder. About the 3rd or 4th strike with the inertia puller, the primer went "bang!".

After I got done peeling my shorts outta the bunghole an' cleanin' up in the shower, I swore that was the last time ANY round with a live primer would be in one of my inertia pullers.

I'd rather pull the bullet with pliers. Ruins the bullet, but it's not going to go bang.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Can't you soak them in PB blaster or any penetrate oil to ruin the primer and powder?
    Put them in a cup of water for a few days then off to the trash can.
    Sorry but I disagree. I tried soaking WWB in water just to find out. After two weeks every single one went bang.

The oil might work, but I bet it would take more time than you would think.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I have heard of this happening to people that use a shell holder in the puller instead of the collet. Is that what happen to yours? Just curious.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I can't believe the stuff I'm reading in this thread!

No, soaking a loaded round doesn't disable it.

The only way that inertial bullet puller set off the primer is if the cartridge came loose or there was something behind it. (Yes, operator error)

Generally you just re-fire the cartridge and that ends the problem. If that .30-06 round can't be chambered, it's got serious problems. If TR1911 has scared you, use pliers to get the bullet out.

WTF is the local PD gonna do with it? Oh, yeah, make fun of the guy who brings them in thinking they've got a magic bullet disposer.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The only way that inertial bullet puller set off the primer is if the cartridge came loose or there was something behind it. (Yes, operator error)
    WTF is the local PD gonna do with it? Oh, yeah, make fun of the guy who brings them in thinking they've got a magic bullet disposer.

My friend.....take a step back a moment lest you find just how badly crow tastes.

I've been reloading for over 20-some years, as my boys can tell you. In all that time, I've pulled more cartridges than I can to think about with an inertia puller - and what happened IS what happened. The cartridge was installed in the puller properly, and there was NO error. I'm the first to admit that if someone else said it, I'd have said much as you did....but in this case, I WAS THERE - and there's simply no other way it happened than as described.

The local PD has ways to safely dispose of rounds - they've done so for many years. Your's may not - if so, okay - but mine specifically does, as I verified PRIOR to taking such rounds to them. So again - you may wanna restate your comments......

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

No, soaking a loaded round doesn't disable it.

Generally you just re-fire the cartridge and that ends the problem. If that .30-06 round can't be chambered, it's got serious problems. If TR1911 has scared you, use pliers to get the bullet out.

Sorry, but that's ignorant. Look at why unexploded ordinance is treated like it's dangerous - because it is! The strike on the primer can put it at 99.99% of the way to ignition... all it takes from there is the right bump or jar to create enough friction to set that off.

No joke; this gets people killed on former battlegrounds around the world. A bomb that hit the ground doing 400 miles an hour can sit there for 20 years, some kid comes along and gives it a bump and it blows them to kingdom come. Same happens with grenades (which use a primer not too different from a shotgun primer), cannon shells... you name it.

Top Bottom