• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Is there any reason that I shouldn't use Monarch steel case 9mm ammo? Should I be worried about the steel case causing excessive wear in the chamber of my guns? Academy has it for $9.99 for 50 rds. I am thinking about buying a few boxes.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I bought a case+- of it. I prefer brass but I've run steel case through plenty of guns with no ill effects to date. This batch of Monarch was made in Brazil by CBC Global which supplies clients like NATO. The zinc coating on this ammo gives it a slick finish that may help with feeding/extraction. Full copper jacket can't hurt either. If it runs, it'll be the best deal going at 20cpr. I steer clear of Tulammo 9mm because I had a few squibs out of the last 1000rd case I bought precovid.

ETA: I primarily bought this ammo to run through a roller delayed 9mm that is notoriously hard on brass.

ETA 2: You know what they say, "If it can't run steel, it doesn't deserve brass".

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    My G19 didn't like it.

Why not?

The primers were too hard...about every third one wouldn't fire and I never had this problem with any other ammo.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Academy slaps the Monarch name on whatever they are currently importing. Manufacturers change. The Monarch you bought in the past may or may not be the same Monarch you are buying now.

Coon

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    It takes over 6k rounds of steel case 5.56 to start showing signs of barrel wear. At 9mm pressures and speeds, you can't afford enough ammo to worry about it.
    Not trying to be a smarta**, but I don’t understand how the case material wears the barrel. Unless you’re talking about the chamber…

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've used a lot of Monarch ammo because, well, it's cheap as hell. My Kel-Tec PF9 doesn't like it - the primers tend to be too hard. My other pistols and my Mini-14 cycle it with no issues.

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    I run it constantly as a self proclaimed high volume shooter each range session I’ve had a few light primer strikes but that’s it. I have noticed my guns get more build up that’s all using same volume to brass.

For the price you can’t go wrong.

Top Bottom