• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I don't get how a 338 would win? If you take just the bullet of a 338 and a 30 cal no shell just the actual bullet it is hardly bigger in the circumference Yes its longer but circumference does not look at least by pics I looked up that much
    from left to right 338 308 223
    different.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I don't get how a 338 would win? If you take just the bullet of a 338 and a 30 cal no shell just the actual bullet it is hardly bigger in the circumference Yes its longer but circumference does not look at least by pics I looked up that much
    from left to right 338 308 223
    different.

Its not a very difficult concept to grasp. You only have to touch a given ring on the target for it to count, so the larger the diameter of the bullet the better chance you have of touching the X ring.

338 is 10% bigger in diameter than 308, thats quite a difference.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Its not a very difficult concept to grasp. You only have to touch a given ring on the target for it to count, so the larger the diameter of the bullet the better chance you have of touching the X ring.

338 is 10% bigger in diameter than 308, thats quite a difference.

But the .338 is 100% more awesome. Don't forget to take that into account.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's .03 bigger, meaning the advantage is .015 in terms of accuracy required.

I'm willing to give .338 shooters that's advantage. Just encourages me to hit .015" closer to the bull. Also, that difference will only come in to play if the shot is within .015" of breaking the line. You must break the line between one ring and the next not just touch it.

I guess we could have a class for .22 cal, 6mm/.243, .25 cal, .30 cal, .357, .338, .375, .416, and .50. But it would be hard to keep track and have enough entrants in each category to keep it going.

I think it's easier to let anyone with a center fire shoot and just have fun with it. If a .338 guy wins, we'll just make fun of him for using the bigger round as a crutch. He probably didn't want to shoot freehand either, and got a manicure before the match :laughing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    its 3 hundredths of an inch come on dude and that is circumference so like younggun said its .015 thousandths of an inch from center of round. The reason I said I don't get it because its a simple fun challange not meant to be scientific like this. this is turning out to be a dick measuring contest. I am firing a 308 and more than happy to compete with a bigger round. Its not the size its how you use it hahaha

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    See.
    I ain't fired a shot yet, and I'm having fun. Heh

Seriously though. I'm gonna try in the morning, if it's not raining.
    If it is raining, it'll have to wait till next Saturday.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I already had my fun my target was already posted I know its not an offical submission but I wanted to get others motivated to go out and try it. I have to say It is a challenge, to the man that shoots better than me it gives me motivation to try harder. this whole contest thing was supposed to be challenging but fun.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Good luck I hope you can make it to the range. What will you be firing?

AR15, 5.56.
    1:8 ss 16".
    Got some loads that yielded sub moa groups last year.
    And a box of federal gold match 69gr smk that the gun likes.
    It'll be my 1st outing with the trigger from Hicksville/Ground zero.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    AR15, 5.56.
    1:8 ss 16".
    Got some loads that yielded sub moa groups last year.
    And a box of federal gold match 69gr smk that the gun likes.
    It'll be my 1st outing with the trigger from Hicksville/Ground zero.

I look forward to seeing the target. Just waiting on a moderator to create the official submission thread. Younggun said he hasn't had a chance to create that. Thanks again to him for creating this sticky.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I look forward to seeing the target. Just waiting on a moderator to create the official submission thread. Younggun said he hasn't had a chance to create that. Thanks again to him for creating this sticky.

Just pulled a bore snake through it.
    Currently zeroed @ 200 yd.
    I'll back it off 6 clicks and send some fouling rounds down range. Then I'll find out which round is best in the headwind I'm expecting.

Sure hope the rain holds off till noon at least.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Just pulled a bore snake through it.
    Currently zeroed @ 200 yd.
    I'll back it off 6 clicks and send some fouling rounds down range. Then I'll find out which round is best in the headwind I'm expecting.

Sure hope the rain holds off till noon at least.

Don't call me stupid but what do you mean by fouling rounds? (I know not the right place to ask)

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Don't call me stupid but what do you mean by fouling rounds? (I know not the right place to ask)
    A clean bore shoots differently than a bore that has been fouled up (carbon, copper, lead if not TMJ or FMJ). So since your only going to get one shot with a clean bore, the idea is to get it a little dirty so you can better predict your accuracy. I have been told some military recon guys extremely rarely ever clean their bores to the point where it's 100% shiny.

Sent from some where out there.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    A clean bore shoots differently than a bore that has been fouled up (carbon, copper, lead if not TMJ or FMJ). So since your only going to get one shot with a clean bore, the idea is to get it a little dirty so you can better predict your accuracy. I have been told some military recon guys extremely rarely ever clean their bores to the point where it's 100% shiny.

Sent from some where out there.

Interesting...

Top Bottom