Venture Surplus ad

More primary care doctors dropping insurance companies, going pay as you go.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Also, I have paid cash for all of my medical issues since I was 18. I would estimate over the last 4.5yrs, I have spent about 3-4k out of pocket for health related expenses. I spoke with several doctors, before the exam, and told them that I was a college student, didn't have insurance, but would pay cash. In one instance, it took a ~$400 exam down to $50. In another case it took an expensive Ultra-sound down to $150. To quote the doctor, "If I charged you any less, this would seem sketchy." Given the nature of the exam, I agreed.
    DK Firearms

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Also, I have paid cash for all of my medical issues since I was 18. I would estimate over the last 4.5yrs, I have spent about 3-4k out of pocket for health related expenses. I spoke with several doctors, before the exam, and told them that I was a college student, didn't have insurance, but would pay cash. In one instance, it took a ~$400 exam down to $50. In another case it took an expensive Ultra-sound down to $150. To quote the doctor, "If I charged you any less, this would seem sketchy." Given the nature of the exam, I agreed.

Im going to start doing that..

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I would love to pay cash, if the doctors and hospitals billed at a FAIR rate. Currently, I am paying just shy of 20k/yr for my group plan through my employer. My policy is not a particularly good one either. Suffice it to say, I spend a *LOT* of money on health insurance coverage for my family. I'm not a millionaire, I don't drive a fancy car, or live in a big house. I pay all my bills on time. I live within my means. And I feel I'm punished for it.

The problem, is I "need" group coverage for some things (thank you Texas for allowing ins.co. opt-outs, fuckers) and I love where I work. So I'm kinda stuck. I would not need insurance at all, if I could pay for everything out of pocket with any semblance of fair billing practices. It would allow me to plan ahead and have the cash available. However ...... The medical industry as a whole, in my experience, are useless when it comes to pricing and payment for all but the most basic of services. Doctors and hospitals are not innocent at all, in any way shape or form. Case in point, when we were planning on having a child a few years back we tried to establish whether or not it would be possible to pay for the prenatal care through delivery out of pocket. This was BEFORE even trying to conceive, mind you. All we could get from numerous doctors, hospitals, etc. were non-answers, misdirection, and "I don't knows." One doc actually nailed down her fee schedule for us, adding there can be cost overages for unforeseen circumstances and such. Fair enough. But she could not establish for us the costs of the related services would be (e.g. labs, the anesthesiologist, etc.) because they 'contract out for that and you pay them directly.' So who do you contract it out to? "Oh whoever is available." Can we contract specific providers? "No." *facepalm* So we went with my employer's group policy to minimize the risk of out-of-pocket expenses. Even with insurance coverage, I paid just shy of $12k out of pocket when it was all said and done. This, my friends, is insanity.

So a dentist or orthodontist, sure. You can pay cash and know what to expect. Love it. For eye care, same thing. I still pay for my son's glasses out of pocket. For anything involving someone with "MD" after their name? Forget it. Now we have Obama stepping in and making it worse? In a nutshell, we're screwed and will have 10's of thousands MORE people with inadequate or no coverage, overwhelmed ER's, and defaults on medical bills. Way to go.

Maybe we should all change our names and renounce our citizenship, seems like the only way to get a fair shake anymore.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    The fine that isn't a fine is cheaper than carrying insurance.

Remember, SCOTUS has determined that it's a "Tax", inspite of Obama's assertions that it's a "Penalty". Semantics be damned, either way it's still unconstitutional and if I ever see Justice Roberts I'm going to kick him in the balls!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Or better yet, you live close to one. When I was a kid, there was a Doctor that lived across the street from me. He was a Capt at Darnall on Ft Hood.

I lived in Belton. There was Dr Long. You just showed up. He see you, hooked you up better then Scott and White. Whatever your issues was. It was gone in a week. Stiches to poison ivy. Ill be damn if it wasn't a shot every time. Sometimes pills. As a kid his needles looked huge. Each visit was $12 as a kid, then years later like $24, then maybe last price was like $45. And if you skipped the bill. He knew youd be back. Old Navy Doctor. He gave you samples all he could. So no pill bill.

Top Bottom