• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SevDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    I have a Polish Mosin Nagant M44 that, like most of them, is sighted at around 200 yards or so. I will primarily be shooting at 50-100 yards and I have the rear aperture down as far as It will go. I need to raise the front post but I'm fairly certain I cannot on this model. What are the best methods for raising that front post; preferably without totally removing the front sight.
    Target Sports

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I have a Polish Mosin Nagant M44 that, like most of them, is sighted at around 200 yards or so. I will primarily be shooting at 50-100 yards and I have the rear aperture down as far as It will go. I need to raise the front post but I'm fairly certain I cannot on this model. What are the best methods for raising that front post; preferably without totally removing the front sight.

Only way I've seen without removing the front sight is to slip a piece of electrical insulation over the post and trim it to the desired height. Otherwise, you're looking at replacing the sight. Here's a forum sponsor and, while I don't own one of his sights, they do seem to be quality built. http://www.smith-sights.com/

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In case you can't access that forum...

As far as the rifle shooting high, most MN rifles were battle zeroed at 200-300 meters, so a wire sheath cut off that will slip over the front sight post cut a little longer than the post will work. Then you can cut or file it down until you get it to where you want it to shoot.

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Hello,

They are not battle zeroed. They are regulated with the bayonet affixed, and if the sight gets swapped, then you have to start over.

The sights were used with their correct graduations, as well. The unit commander was in charge of range estimation. He'd then tell the troops which range to set on the rear sight and how many rounds to fire. The command to fire was then given. After the last round was fired, the troop returned his rear sight to 100 meters.

There was very little in the way of Kentucky windage or elevation used. It was all done precisely.

Send me your sight and I'll fix it. Else, you might try shrink tube or something similar. That stuff changes with heat, though.

Regards,

Josh

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had the same problem with a VZ-24 Mauser. It was regulated for a 300 meter zero and I wanted a 100 yard zero. I made a higher front sight out of a piece of a bolt (like nuts & bolts) and filed it down to get my 100 yard zero. The dovetail was hard to duplicate but with enough patience and time, it fits perfectly. It looked a little odd but it worked fine!

The VZ-24 is equipped with a cool little front sight protector and that had to be removed to actually fire the rifle. That was no problem and this modification works very well.

Later, I bought some elevated front sight blanks from Brownells. They were extra tall and the idea was to trim them to the correct height. Cost was about $9 each. Again, they were odd looking, but they worked great!

SO....check out Brownells and similar vendors. What you want is out there!

Flash

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Later, I bought some elevated front sight blanks from Brownells. They were extra tall and the idea was to trim them to the correct height. Cost was about $9 each. Again, they were odd looking, but they worked great!

SO....check out Brownells and similar vendors. What you want is out there!

Flash

I have one of those sight blanks from Brownell's on my 1888/05. A bit of reshaping and it looks stock.

rightside.jpg

Regards,

Josh

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Josh,

Good going on modifying the sight! I have some close up vision issues and really can't tell what I'm looking at in your photo. Would you consider changing it so it's more clear?

Thanks!

Flash

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Hi Roger,

You're looking at the side profile of the sight. The rest I intentionally blurred so as to focus on the sight. I take macro pics while I'm working to see what I need to do next, use the camera sort of like a magnifying glass.

This is one of those pics shrunk down some.

I'll try to remember to take another pic next time I have that rifle out. I don't take it out often but usually have the camera around when I do.

Regards,

Josh

Sengine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Super glue is your friend, Glue a small piece of plastic shaped to tip of the sight, side benifit is you can choose a contrasting color.

Top Bottom