• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RHEAMOND

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    jacksonvill,tx
    My friend showed me his Russine mossin nagunt riffle today it was very big and very fun to shoot it a model 1891. I think I stay with the American made riffles such as the AR15 , M1A1, HAWKEYE 223 and the lever action marlin 30-30:patriot:
    the top one is the one my friend has. Thank you all for you time.

300px-Mosin_Nagant_series_of_rifles.jpg

The 3-line rifle, Model 1891 (its official designation at the time) was adopted. Some details were borrowed from Nagant's design: the principle that the magazine spring is attached to the magazine base plate (in Mosin's original design, the spring was not attached to the base plate and according to the Commission could therefore be lost during cleaning), the form of the clip holding cartridges and used for simultaneous loading of five cartridges into the magazine and the form of the "interrupter"—a detail in the feeding mechanism preventing stoppages due to feeding two cartridges at the same time.
    The initial rifle proposed by Nagant did not contain an interrupter at all, which caused numerous failures to feed. This detail as well as the new configuration of the feed mechanism was introduced in the rifle of Nagant during the trial and was borrowed from Mosin's rifle (although the form of the interrupter was slightly changed—this changed form was subsequently borrowed back by the Commission for the Model 1891 Mosin Nagant). During the modernisation of 1930 the form of the interrupter was further changed as the part had turned out to be one of the least reliable parts of the action. Thereafter, only the clip holding cartridges for simultaneous loading of the weapon and the principle that magazine spring is attached to the magazine base plate in subsequent models were designed by Nagant. Taking into consideration that the rifle could be easily loaded without using a clip, one cartridge after another (this was also the only way a scoped rifle could be loaded), the magazine spring attached to the magazine base plate is the only contribution of Nagant to all rifles after 1930

NOTHING BETTER THEN A COLT PIETHON 357 OR THE SMITH AND WESTON 44 MAG. BELOW IS SOME OF MY GUNS LIST [ SAVAGE MK2 22LR WITH SCOPE,SMITH AND WESTON 44MAG, STEVENS 12GA. 2 3/4 SHELL, MARLIN MOLDEL 60 22LR , AND 410 BY NEW ENGLAND FIREARMS.
    Capitol Armory ad

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    My friend showed me his Russine mossin nagunt riffle today it was very big and very fun to shoot made in 1991 I think I stay with the American made riffles such as the AR15 , M1A1, HAWKEYE 223 and the lever action marlin 30-30:patriot:

NOTHING BETTER THEN A COLT PIETHON 357 OR THE SMITH AND WESTON 44 MAG. BELOW IS SOME OF MY GUNS LIST [ SAVAGE MK2 22LR WITH SCOPE,SMITH AND WESTON 44MAG, STEVENS 12GA. 2 3/4 SHELL, MARLIN MOLDEL 60 22LR , AND 410 BY NEW ENGLAND FIREARMS.
    Dang man, you spell worse than me!
    Im not a Mosin-Nagant fan myself. SKS in a yugo is better and more fun to shoot. AR15 are the best, AK's are for people who dont ever clean anything.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    My friend showed me his Russine mossin nagunt riffle today it was very big and very fun to shoot made in 1991 I think I stay with the American made riffles such as the AR15 , M1A1, HAWKEYE 223 and the lever action marlin 30-30:patriot:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It wasn't made in 1891, that is its model year. The official Russian designation is 3-line rifle, Model 1891. (A “line” is a unit of measure equal to 1/10th of an inch). The last one was produced in 1965.

Mosin-Nagants are great bolt-action rifles, shooting the 7.62x54R round. Approximately 37M were produced in numerous varieties and configurations. I prefer the carbines as they produce massive fireballs.

They're also inexpensive shooters, a basic 91/30 (the rifle was "modernized" in 1930, hence the designation) can easily be bought for under $100 (with sling, bayonet and cleaning gear) and you can pick up a spam can of 440 rounds of ammo for well under $100 as well.

For more info, see 7.62x54r.net

Cheers! M2

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    It wasn't made in 1891, that is its model year. The official Russian designation is 3-line rifle, Model 1891. (A “line” is a unit of measure equal to 1/10th of an inch). The last one was produced in 1965.

Mosin-Nagants are great bolt-action rifles, shooting the 7.62x54R round. Approximately 37M were produced in numerous varieties and configurations. I prefer the carbines as they produce massive fireballs.

They're also inexpensive shooters, a basic 91/30 (the rifle was "modernized" in 1930, hence the designation) can easily be bought for under $100 (with sling, bayonet and cleaning gear) and you can pick up a spam can of 440 rounds of ammo for well under $100 as well.

For more info, see 7.62x54r.net

Cheers! M2
    I noticed your a big Nagant shooter. Have you ever put a scope on one? If so, what range do you shoot them? I think Nagants are ugly as sin, but that dont mean I wont never get one if their great long range shooters.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Dang, just back from Reds (Pflugerville) where a friend and I shot our nagants for the first time. At 50 yards they both shot tight groups and were fun fun fun to shoot with iron sights. They are excellent for the price and cost of ammo. The Nagants with 440 rounds of ammo were less than what I would pay for a decent .22.

I suspect that due to my age and eye sight I will scout scope it sometime in the future but for now, hogs will learn to fear me (at least up to 50 yards away). Though my eyesight is not great past 50 yard it seemed to be relatively flat shooting out to 100 yards and like most 2nd world war battle rifles capable of hitting targets out 600 yards or so .

Mr Redneck, I would certainly put one on your list of "have to try" rifles. If you are in the area and want to take one out give me a buzz.....

However to compare it to an AR?????? spelling is not the only shortcoming I see in the original posting.....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have a sniper repro, haven't shot it yet but I find my Mosins with the iron sights to be accurate out to about 100-200 yards.

If you really are interested in Mosins, check out the movie Enemy at the Gates.

Nagant.jpg

And thanks to the mods for correcting all the spelling errors in the title!

Cheers! M2

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    They are like potato chips. No one can have just one! I like the rifles and will buy another one any time the opportunity comes up.

Flash

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You'll never be wanting for more power or noise, that's for sure.

In all seriousness, I like mine a great deal. I've deer hunted and torn paper with my longer-barreled Mosin. They are fairly cheap and reliable. The links posted earlier in the thread will give you plenty of information about them.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We fired NRA matches at 200 at 600 yards for years. One of our friends is really into MN 91/30's and shot the matches with them many times. He would shoot a prone stage and his rifles would char the vegetation for 4-5 feet in front of the muzzle! The fireball from a MN is pretty awesome!

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Russian/Soviet ones are nice, but once you get your hands on a Finnish rifle there is no comparison! One of my prized rifles is a Finnish M39 with a 1970 barrel date.

Also, there are American Mosins! Westinghouse made them for WWI.

BTW, you don't call a Mosin-Nagant a "Nagant". That's a Russian revolver. If you shorten it down to one word, it's a Mosin.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Russian/Soviet ones are nice, but once you get your hands on a Finnish rifle there is no comparison! One of my prized rifles is a Finnish M39 with a 1970 barrel date.

Also, there are American Mosins! Westinghouse made them for WWI.

BTW, you don't call a Mosin-Nagant a "Nagant". That's a Russian revolver. If you shorten it down to one word, it's a Mosin.

Sage, my learned friend, you are forgetting that during WWI, Remington also made the Mosin 91, about 1.5 million of them, as well as ammo for it! I've got one, as well as a New England Westinghouse (NEW), they're some of the more collectible and harder-to-find of the Mosins.

I also have a Finn M39, a 1944 Sako. The Finns modified the Mosin into the rifle it should have been, and it's a sweet shooter!

And you are absolutely correct about a Nagant being a revolver, a really cool one where the cylinder moved forward to seal up against the barrel. It's called a Nagant 1895 and I've got a few of those as well...

Cheers! M2

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    I have a 91/30 and an M44 Mosin Nagant, have less than $200.00 in both rifles, still have iron sights on them. The M44 gets the most attention at the range, when I shoot it about 2 feet of flame comes out of the barrel. I buy ammo in 440 round tins delivered to my door for less than a $100 a tin. The Mosin caliber is between a .308 and an '06, great round, will probably scope both of them before long.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sage, my learned friend, you are forgetting that during WWI, Remington also made the Mosin 91, about 1.5 million of them, as well as ammo for it! I've got one, as well as a New England Westinghouse (NEW), they're some of the more collectible and harder-to-find of the Mosins.

I also have a Finn M39, a 1944 Sako. The Finns modified the Mosin into the rifle it should have been, and it's a sweet shooter!

And you are absolutely correct about a Nagant being a revolver, a really cool one where the cylinder moved forward to seal up against the barrel. It's called a Nagant 1895 and I've got a few of those as well...

Cheers! M2

Ahh, yeah. The Remington rifles. Forgot about those. :D

I've also had the chance to hold a very expensive Mosin. But I can't swing $5,000 for one, even if it is a 1907 carbine!

I agree completely about the Finn rifles. The Russian and Soviet guns were to be handed to half-trained slaves to go out and die with. The Finns were riflemen, and it shows in the craftsmanship and features of their rifles. It also showed when it was put to the test in the Winter War and the Finns slaughtered Soviet troops day and night.

A collector friend of mine has a Finn M28 (IIRC) that still has the WWII era stock. It has tally marks carved into it.

a a r o n

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Little Elm
    a buddy of mine at work picked up a mosin 91/30 a few months ago and has been informing me of the guna nd its history. i thought it was pretty cool so i was out at cabellas this morning and they happened to be having a sale on the 91/30 so i picked one up for $89.99 shot it when we got back. i must say it is a fun gun to shoot and seems like it has more power than most people need from a long gun. i would suggest picking one up if you come across one. i doubt anyone will be dissapointed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom