• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    So as stated in an earlier post, I purchased a Type 53 Mosin Carbine today from my local gunstore. Before I bought it I took a look down the barrel and could see it was filthy, but it had alot of unique things about it (including the war trophy documentation from the Vietnam war). Upon further inspection and cleaning, it appears that the rifling in the barrel is all but gone. What does this mean for my weapon? is it still safe to fire? will the accuracy be dramatically decreased? Any advice helps

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Rifling in some of those rifles was pretty shallow and you'd have to compare it to others of the same type. If it's not badly pitted, it should shoot OK but you'll have to shoot it to see how it affects accuracy. A friend of mine has a Type 38 Arisaka with a bore so pitted that it's a miracle for any bullet to make it through in one piece but it will shoot 3 and four inch groups all day.

Check out SARCO and other parts places. Sometimes new (as in made 50yrs ago but never used) barrels for these old military rifles show up. I found one for a 1894 Mauser for $75. There are forums dedicated to surplus military rifles and you could find better information there.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Before you make a real assumption on the rifling condition make sure you are giving it a proper cleaning. Running a number of copper solvent laden patches down it will give you an idea if the rifling is shallow due to wear, or if it is shallow due to fouling. Bear in mind that this thing could have seen a million rounds of ammo in it's life ... so fouling is a real possibility.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am thinking I might just turn it into a wall display and mount it with the original war trophy documents. I have other mosins to shoot and I sure would hate to mess up a great piece of history.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Good advise from Texas1911. Another thing to consider is, what do you expect from the rifle and why did you but it? I bought mine a couple years ago and haven't even shot it yet. I probably will some day but I just bought it because I like WWII era bolt action rifles, I didn't have one and the price was right. I did a little searching and there are barrels available but for me personally it wouldn't be worth the cost or the barrel and having a gunsmith install it.

Barrel, 7.62 X 54R, 20" w/ Bayonet Lug

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Everything you would want to know about Mosins can be found here:

7.62x54r.net

If it's matching or at least you know the barrel was on the gun when it was brought back, I would not change it! It has historical significance and Mosins are too plentiful (and cheap) to mess this one up.

I say keep it as is and buy another one for $100 to shoot!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not uncommon in Mosins, and I wouldn't say that means the bolt has been replaced since it was brought back. There is a very good chance that is how it was...

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I purchased a converted Mauser in 7.62 and the bore was filthy. It looked like there was no rifling at all. It took a few hours of cleaning, scrubbing with a bore brush and tons of patches, but it turned out to be an alright bore.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Scrub it out. Do a quick check of the bore at the muzzle by taking a loaded bullet and trying to insert it (don't use any force) bullet-first into the muzzle. If it stops at the ogive, the bore is generally good. If it slides in up to the case mouth, the bore is usually toast.

Top Bottom