• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I have an Mossy 590 I've had in the safe for at about 20 years. When I got it I knocked down a few clays, cleaned it and put it in the safe; been there ever since. I'm an old geezer and thinking about upgrading the 590 with pistol grips fore and aft, adjustable stock, maybe a light/laser; Or maybe just sell the 590 and get a 930 semi-auto and do upgrades on it also.

I'm an old geezer, mid-70's and have a bum left shoulder so I probably need the pistol grips. I considered the Shockwave but decided against it appears more difficult to manage that a full size stock. This will strictly a HD/bedside shotgun.

My question is, Aside from the obvious advantage for rapid fire is there any other considerations on replacing the 590 with a 930? Looking for opinions which way to go on which shotgun and upgrades.
    Lynx Defense

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Advantage of a semiautomatic over a pump is pretty obvious…easier to operate. Just get a good one.

I’m a big fan of the CZ line, but Beretta and Benelli are probably better. If cost were not a factor, Benelli.

My home defense….CZ712

But honestly, I’d prefer seeing you with a good 20 gauge semiautomatic. They are every bit as capable at HD ranges with buckshot or Turkey loads. CZ 720 will get it done. I’ve owned both. 4+1 capacity when plug is removed. Keep it well oiled and it will work great.

65coop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2021
    Conroe, Texas
    I own both 590 and 930. the 930, in my opinion, is way better!
    Mine is the 930 SPX, so I haven't done anything except for some stippling and cerakoate. it shoots like a dream!

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Not intuitive? All you do is pull the trigger…
    To each his own. There is more to it than pulling a trigger. I did not care for the semi-auto shotgun platform for defense situations - having trained with a pump.
    If all you do is "pull the trigger", I may not want you on my team.
    You started it...

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m gonna get shit for this but would you consider a vepr12 and install a good brake? Once a quality brake is on it’s a really wonderful shotgun. If you’re willing to look past it’s looks, put some parts into it, I can’t think of a shotgun I’d rather have.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    To each his own. There is more to it than pulling a trigger. I did not care for the semi-auto shotgun platform for defense situations - having trained with a pump.
    If all you do is "pull the trigger", I may not want you on my team.
    You started it...
    So you don’t own any semiautomatic firearms and don’t understand how they work?

Got it.

Cops all carry semiautomatic handguns. Most today carry semiautomatic rifles.

Military small arms are almost all semiautomatic.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    590 is a heavy bastard too. But its equivalent to thors hammer.

I would consider care and feeding as that's the limitation of a 12 gage. Gotta feed em. How does an auto effect that.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    So you don’t own any semiautomatic firearms and don’t understand how they work?

Got it.

Cops all carry semiautomatic handguns. Most today carry semiautomatic rifles.

Military small arms are almost all semiautomatic.
    You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment....
    -Francis Urquhart

Edited for politeness...

Last edited:

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I like pumps. Stick with what you know.
    I tried to switch to semi and it didn't work for me.
    Nothing wrong with the 590.
    Due to my familiarity with the pump action, the semi was just not intuitive for me.
    yep I agree. Serious question, as I’ve never shot a semi auto shot gun. Is there any advantage to an AR12 type gun? I’d think that with the recoil, you would be spraying all over the place after the first shot. The next question I would pose is would you blow out your ear drums if a shot gun was ever discharged in a H D situation?

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    yep I agree. Serious question, as I’ve never shot a semi auto shot gun. Is there any advantage to an AR12 type gun? I’d think that with the recoil, you would be spraying all over the place after the first shot. The next question I would pose is would you blow out your ear drums if a shot gun was ever discharged in a H D situation?
    ARs are louder indoors.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    590 is a heavy bastard too. But its equivalent to thors hammer.

I would consider care and feeding as that's the limitation of a 12 gage. Gotta feed em. How does an auto effect that.
    You have a point about the weight of the 590. I'd forgotten how heavy it was until I took it out of the safe. I handled my sons Maverick 88 last week and it surprised me how light it was compared to my 590. I don't think the 590 is too heavy to manage for me, but it is heavier than the Maverick.

I haven't even held a 930 yet so don't know the weight. If it's much heavier than my 590 it would be a deal breaker.

Certainly my advanced age and bum left shoulder affects my ability to properly manage a shotgun is a consideration. I'm still able bodied and able to handle my 12 gauge 590; but as mentioned in an earlier post, maybe a 20 gauge would be even easier. The only limiting physical factor is my bum left shoulder makes it uncomfortable racking the slide. Just an awkward position for me. Hence the solution is a pistol grip on the fore end.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    If you are gonna go with a semi, the VEPR is a valid option.
    It’s heavy, it’s ugly, but man is it a durable beast. I installed a brake couple months back and now shooting buckshot is a pleasure.

The vepr has a good trigger. It’s a standard ak type trigger but will come out of the box with parts already polished.

Clearing a malfunction is easy due to it’s obvious simple action. Thicker receiver than a saiga. It’s definitely a gun if I was dropped in Alaska, with food, and all I had to worry about was defense, my vepr12 would be my first choice and all ammo would be slugs.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    For what you want why not just go for the security model Maverick 88? Inexpensive, works great, cylinder bore, slugs or regular shells and with an adapter can handle those short shells. I have Browning o//u, Remington auto, Beretta auto and all work well but auto sometimes will malfunction although I hear pumps malfunction sometimes too, especially if short stroked. Never had my pump malfunction. The problem I have heard with AR style magazine shotguns is feeding issues and there have been reports of the shot shells malforming when stored compressed in a magazine and having feeding problems, at least that's what YouTube says. My home defense is a Maverick 88 with #4 buck. There are lights that are easily added. No matter what I don't think I would shoot more than one round indoors and already have hearing aids.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    For what you want why not just go for the security model Maverick 88? Inexpensive, works great, cylinder bore, slugs or regular shells and with an adapter can handle those short shells. I have Browning o//u, Remington auto, Beretta auto and all work well but auto sometimes will malfunction although I hear pumps malfunction sometimes too, especially if short stroked. Never had my pump malfunction. The problem I have heard with AR style magazine shotguns is feeding issues and there have been reports of the shot shells malforming when stored compressed in a magazine and having feeding problems, at least that's what YouTube says. My home defense is a Maverick 88 with #4 buck. There are lights that are easily added. No matter what I don't think I would shoot more than one round indoors and already have hearing aids.
    This!

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm seriously considering the 88 special purpose. It's got the long mag and not as heavy as my 590A1.

But no bayonet.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    All you do is pull the trigger!

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I have an 870 pump, a side by side coach gun, and a 930 JM Pro seriesTactical shotgun. I trust the 930 to operate with less issues over a pump, and the coach gun will always be the first shotgun I grab since it is right next to my bed ready to go.
    The 930 is a pretty light weight gun, but works with any type of ammo that I've shot out of it. I've loaded it with multiple types of ammo alternating 7.5 bird shot, 4 shot, 00 buck, and slugs. It never misses a beat loading /firing /ejecting.

s0zBX9O.jpg

Top Bottom