• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    You have a point about the weight of the 590. I'd forgotten how heavy it was until I took it out of the safe. I handled my sons Maverick 88 last week and it surprised me how light it was compared to my 590. I don't think the 590 is too heavy to manage for me, but it is heavier than the Maverick.

I haven't even held a 930 yet so don't know the weight. If it's much heavier than my 590 it would be a deal breaker.

Certainly my advanced age and bum left shoulder affects my ability to properly manage a shotgun is a consideration. I'm still able bodied and able to handle my 12 gauge 590; but as mentioned in an earlier post, maybe a 20 gauge would be even easier. The only limiting physical factor is my bum left shoulder makes it uncomfortable racking the slide. Just an awkward position for me. Hence the solution is a pistol grip on the fore end.
    I have a Maverick 88 for use a home defense gun and like it for that purpose. If you choose to get a shockwave I'd consider the 20 gauge. The first few boxes have worked well in mine.
    Capitol Armory ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I have an Mossy 590 I've had in the safe for at about 20 years. When I got it I knocked down a few clays, cleaned it and put it in the safe; been there ever since. I'm an old geezer and thinking about upgrading the 590 with pistol grips fore and aft, adjustable stock, maybe a light/laser; Or maybe just sell the 590 and get a 930 semi-auto and do upgrades on it also.

I'm an old geezer, mid-70's and have a bum left shoulder so I probably need the pistol grips. I considered the Shockwave but decided against it appears more difficult to manage that a full size stock. This will strictly a HD/bedside shotgun.

My question is, Aside from the obvious advantage for rapid fire is there any other considerations on replacing the 590 with a 930? Looking for opinions which way to go on which shotgun and upgrades.
    >

As a fellow "Old Geezer":

We get weaker as we age, especially our hands & wrists. This only gets worse. I find "pistol grips" awkward and un-natural.

Also, one may be injured; it takes two good hands to operate a pump. A 20GA semi-auto defensive shotgun can be operated one-handed.

Having had a Friend murdered, and neighbors butchered, in home-invasions, we use layered systems: handguns, then short defensive carbines, then the 870.

As any serious threat will likely be by surprise, weapons must be instantly available & ready. We carry at all times and have weapons secreted all-over.

Only problem is when children visit, everything must be rounded-up & secured.

leVieux

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I wouldn't count on the mini shells. I've had horrible luck even though I bought that gadget(made by a vet so I won't be returning it). I'll just look for a Winchester Defender.

As far as pistol grips on a shotgun, they aren't for me. I sold my second FN SLP because I couldn't get the hang of the Tactical model. It looked way better than it felt!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I wouldn't count on the mini shells. I've had horrible luck even though I bought that gadget(made by a vet so I won't be returning it). I'll just look for a Winchester Defender.

As far as pistol grips on a shotgun, they aren't for me. I sold my second FN SLP because I couldn't get the hang of the Tactical model. It looked way better than it felt!
    I tried the min shells using the adapter. They functioned at the range but I wouldn't trust them 100% for defense.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    What model was your host gun? I tried to use my oldest 590 and out of three shooters(two vets & me)no one could get more than two shots then jam city.

I have my KelTec listed as well as my Shockwave so I didn’t want to dirty those up. I have a couple more 590s that I may try that part in.

Thanks

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I had a Mossberg SPX and had no problems with it. I had shot maybe a 1,000 rounds through it. I sold the SPX for JMPro when it first came out. I would say I had close to 1,500 rounds when it would not fire. This is due to the firing pin mushrooming bc of soft metal. I replaced the firing pin and maybe shot another 1,500-2,000 rounds with no problem. I then went with a pair of Stoeger M3000. Mossberg has a lot less kick than the Stoeger but that is expected with the design. The Pro has a REALLY good trigger

Top Bottom