• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    I found a Mossberg 500 that's at least 30 years old with rather rough wood stocks on it. This is supposed to be a law enforcement shotgun that was taken out of service years ago and has nothing "modern" attached to it. Now for my question. Are early Mossberg 500s considered too old for modern accessories (ghost ring sights, tactical light, breacher, etc)?
    Venture Surplus ad

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    the only thing i downside i can think of is decreasing value on old guns. but i dont think you need to worry about that with a old police mossberg. i mean unless it did battle with capone's boys (lol) or soemthing that makes it special, go for it!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Mossberg 500s are pretty inexpensive, if the one you have has some interesting history behind it why don't you keep it as it is and just pick up a newer one to put all those accessories on?

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Mossberg 500s are pretty inexpensive, if the one you have has some interesting history behind it why don't you keep it as it is and just pick up a newer one to put all those accessories on?

also an acceptable answer.

TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    It's a gun, do what you want to do with it.
    Nothing fancy. I have a coachgun (12ga) that goes with me when I check on nighttime noises. It's heavy, but it holds a maglight very well. A friend of mine has a copy of the Ithica 37, and I really like the ghost ring sites on it, but the internal loading system looks weak to me. I would like something that has a greater capacity that my 2shot coachgun and would be durable in it's operations. I would like a Mossberg 500 with a shoulderstock, and this one was half of what the newer mossbergs run around here. I can refinish the stock without a problem, but it would need a better sight than the bead at the end of the barrel. My question is whether the newer accessories and any parts that is for a "Mossberg 500" would fit an 30ish year old Mossy.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    Its not like a car. A 1985 mustang water pump wont work on new one, but to my knowledge model 500 has been the same design since the first model 500. Also, it should already be tapped for a rail so if you want ghost sights now and later you dont, just remove it. My buddy picked up a tri rail/heat shield combo for one of his beaters (warhammer i think is what its called) It isnt my type, but lord knows you can mount anything to it and easily removable. Good luck

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Nothing fancy. I have a coachgun (12ga) that goes with me when I check on nighttime noises. It's heavy, but it holds a maglight very well. A friend of mine has a copy of the Ithica 37, and I really like the ghost ring sites on it, but the internal loading system looks weak to me. I would like something that has a greater capacity that my 2shot coachgun and would be durable in it's operations. I would like a Mossberg 500 with a shoulderstock, and this one was half of what the newer mossbergs run around here. I can refinish the stock without a problem, but it would need a better sight than the bead at the end of the barrel. My question is whether the newer accessories and any parts that is for a "Mossberg 500" would fit an 30ish year old Mossy.

so it isn't an actual 500? or is it? if so, most likely yes. it will work fine. if not, you can probably get a stock to work. lets see some pics of the thing eh? and sites and stuff shouldn't be a big problem i don't see how it could be that different. basic pump shotguns (correct me if im wrong here,) haven't really changed much in a really long time.

one thing to remember is if you try hard enough you can pretty much put anything on any gun.

(within reason lol. no .223 muzzle device that i know of will fit a 12 ga heh.)

TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    so it isn't an actual 500? or is it? if so, most likely yes. it will work fine. if not, you can probably get a stock to work. lets see some pics of the thing eh? and sites and stuff shouldn't be a big problem i don't see how it could be that different. basic pump shotguns (correct me if im wrong here,) haven't really changed much in a really long time.

one thing to remember is if you try hard enough you can pretty much put anything on any gun.

(within reason lol. no .223 muzzle device that i know of will fit a 12 ga heh.)
    It's a 500, but an older one that looks about as basic as they made. I'll work on a picture over the weekend.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I had an old 500A with a bird barrel and wood stocks and converted it to this with no issues...

DSC01393.gif

Top Bottom