• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apopka2012

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Shoot Straight Gun Range (old local where Hwy 441 & Hwy 436 merged in Apopka, Florida)
    Taking the state gun safety course (to get CWP, had DD214 but who doesn't want to share dad/daughter quality time like this) with my daughter who was about 11 or 12 back in '93/'94. Word spreads that Wesley Snipes is out front picking up his gold plated desert eagle .50 caliber & some other gun I don't remember. Everyone starts gawking around the corner ( he was alot shorter in real life then I thought ), couldn't convince my daughter to go get his autograph but someone did. Might not be a big deal to others but in a little red neck town like Apopka it was gossip. I thought the woman he was with was Mariah Carey, but my daughter said it wasn't. Within a year or so he got pulled over for speeding on a motorcycle & possible drugs thrown during chase...and seems trouble has followed ever since. I still like his movies (not just because he's from Orlando) & better close encounter then Bob Hope ('73 crossing the hotel lobby with us peering out the kitchen door) & Hal Linden (Barney Miller on 1st floor Altamonte Mall from the 2nd floor doing some kind of on camera thing). Oh what an exciting life.... who's next?
    Lynx Defense

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Rick Perry showed up at the Texas Multigun Championship last year. Saw Ollie North at the 3 Gun Nation shoot off in Vegas earlier this year.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Met Kyle Chandler several times at the range I used to work. Even helped him identify and date the M1 Carbine he received as a gift. Super cool guy. Very laid back, and you can tell he's just a genuine nice, good guy.

LOL, you guys will laugh at this one. I met Paul Mitchell, the hair care products guy, at that same range. He brought his young son in and was teaching him to shoot on a .22 youth gun. Also a very cool, laid back, genuine guy.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Couple of Marines when I was sighting in a rifle. Then there were the Rangers and assorted other groups at Bisley. Not sure you would call them Famous but I feel they are a lot more not worthy than an actor... Just my 2 cents.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Dakota Meyer was working the LaRue demo booth at the ProAm a while back. He called wind and spotted while I tried out the OBR at 900 yards.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ran (well, bumped) into Ted Nugent at the Houston NRA convention before last. He was going out and I was going in and I nearly flattened him.

Anybody from the Houston area been around long enough to remember when SH6, just north of 90, was still dirt? Back then, there was a small shooting range on Boss-Gaston road, just northwest of the 90/6 intersection. I ran into a few folks there.

Dan Pastorini took an interest in my .308 pistol so I let him shoot it. I saw him there a few other times but that was the only time we talked.

Dusty Hill of ZZ Top was dating the daughter of the range owner. (In fact, it was in their trailer at that range that he managed to accidentally set off the derringer he kept in his boot and shoot himself in the foot.) All three guys were at that range regularly and I spoke and shot with them a time or two. They always had a bunch of nice guns, btw.

I was babysitting Ron Jeremy one time and he wanted to do something. (He was totally hyper and always wanted to "do something", consistently, every time I've been around him. Sometimes he drove me nuts.) I invited him to go shooting and he looked at me like I was crazy and turned me down. I guess that doesn't count, does it?;)

Top Bottom