• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    EDIT: How would this compare to the Brit's old 10 ton blockbuster bombs? (they actually dropped some of these on the Tirpitz)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(bomb)

It's not about bomb weight, it's about the blast yield. The Grand Slam had a blast yield of 6.5 tons of TNT, the MOAB is 11 tons.

This bomb costs over 3 million bucks. Terrorists build bombs for 39.95.... why can't we.

The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast costs an estimated $16M apiece.

Gents, this was all for show, using an air blast ordinance against tunnels is ineffective, especially considering the fact that the US has weapons specifically designed for such targets, such as the GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP), a.k.a. the "Bunker Buster."

But what a show! :D

I cannot confirm it, but I believe the video posted earlier in this thread is actually a BLU-82B "Daisy Cutter" that the USAF dropped in Afghanistan numerous times in the past. The one CNN was using was from testing and development (you can see the chase plane alongside the MC-130); but they since have posted one released by the DoD.

Cheers! M2

Last edited:

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Well I know the media doesn't always get it right when it comes to weapons, but they're all saying the Moab is useful for the tunnels...And mines, which they have said the target was littered.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well I know the media doesn't always get it right when it comes to weapons, but they're all saying the Moab is useful for the tunnels...And mines, which they have said the target was littered.

The media? Excuse my skepticism...

The GBU-43/B MOAB could be useful for shallow tunnels; but it is the follow-on to the BLU-82 which was designed during the Vietnam War to clear helicopter LZs in the jungle. Attempts to use it to set off land mines have been fairly unsuccessful, thus leading me to believe it is fairly inefficient for tunnels as well. However, the use of the BLU-82 during the first Gulf War demonstrated the psychological effect such a large explosion has that it's been used more in that role than anything else. In fact, it was during DESERT STORM that its use resulted in a British (I have also heard Australian) SAS team on a reconnaissance mission near the explosion believing we had nuked the Iraqis in Kuwait Leaflets had been dropped warning the Iraqis of the upcoming drop, stating "Tomorrow if you don't surrender we're going to drop on you the largest conventional weapon in the world." It was intentionally dropped at night to betters emphasize the explosion, with an enormous mushroom cloud flaring into the dark; and the Iraqi radios went nuts afterward! :D

The next day a USAF MC-130 Combat Talon swept over the bomb site for another leaflet drop with a follow-up message: "You have just been hit with the largest conventional bomb in the world. More are on the way." The Iraqis didn't need much more convincing. The day after the BLU-82 attack, an Iraqi battalion commander and his staff raced across the border to surrender.

Cheers! M2

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Some things are inherently pleasurable, make me smile and leave a warm feeling inside me. This bomb drop accomplished all of those things! Knowing that concussion from this bomb turned their terrorist brains to soup, is a real treat!

Flash

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Way back when, we used to guard the kind of bombs we're still not supposed to talk about. We would convoy them from the bunkers to the Buff's. Printed clearly on the side of each one were the stenciled words. "DO NOT DROP." I always thought it was prophetic.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm fascinated by the picture of that woman posted earlier. That type of whiny, perpetually pissed off "B" is the perfect cure for World population explosion! Who would want to fiddle with a beast like that?

Flash

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm fascinated by the picture of that woman posted earlier. That type of whiny, perpetually pissed off "B" is the perfect cure for World population explosion! Who would want to fiddle with a beast like that?

Even the MOAB acronym fits ... ;)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom