Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    opinion.png

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My guess if you shot one & it wasn't self defense or killing your live stock things might really suck for you. Then again kill one an another will take up the dead ones territory.

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    My guess if you shot one & it wasn't self defense or killing your live stock things might really suck for you. Then again kill one an another will take up the dead ones territory.
    Article states that it was legally killed and that one had not been seen in this area for over two decades.....so probably not much concern about another one taking the dead one's territory.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Why would it suck?

they are non game animals like hogs and coyotes and can be taken anytime, no bag limits etc

Personally, I think it sucks. If the mountain lion wasn't bothering anyone, or a danger, it should have been left alone, or at the very least, trapped and relocated.

IMO, it was an unethical killing.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Ed
    Wile true they are non game animals in Texas you might get some federal flack.

Why? They are not in the federal endangered species list either

I would not have shot it as I think game pix would be cooler but nothing done was illegal

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I have encountered several. Not in Texas. They are stealthy as hell. However if they wanted me dead it would have happened. That’s humbling!

If it ain’t out to get you or isn’t destroying property and just passing by, let it be.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Ed

Why? They are not in the federal endangered species list either

I would not have shot it as I think game pix would be cooler but nothing done was illegal

In the United States east of the Mississippi River, the only unequivocally known cougar population is the Florida panther. Until 2011, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) recognized both an Eastern cougar (claimed to be a subspecies by some, denied by others)[117][118] and the Florida panther, affording protection under the Endangered Species Act.[119][120] In 2003, the documented count for the Florida sub-population was 87 individuals.[121] In March 2011, the USFWS declared the Eastern cougar extinct. With the taxonomic uncertainty about its existence as a subspecies as well as the possibility of eastward migration of cougars from the western range, the subject remains open

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've seen 2 in Evant Texas. Last time was 3 years ago. Me and a buddy were shreading some trails on 4 wheelers and a younger one ran across in front of us about 30 feet away. The other time was about 2 years before that on the same property a large one was crossing a field while I was in a blind. Could have smoked it with my AR-10, but didn't. The land owner was pissed that I didn't. Oh well. Beautiful animals, but if I see another on that same property while I'm hunting its getting taken out. Livestock out there just disappears from time to time and that makes the land owner unhappy.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    In the United States east of the Mississippi River, the only unequivocally known cougar population is the Florida panther. Until 2011, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) recognized both an Eastern cougar (claimed to be a subspecies by some, denied by others)[117][118] and the Florida panther, affording protection under the Endangered Species Act.[119][120] In 2003, the documented count for the Florida sub-population was 87 individuals.[121] In March 2011, the USFWS declared the Eastern cougar extinct. With the taxonomic uncertainty about its existence as a subspecies as well as the possibility of eastward migration of cougars from the western range, the subject remains open

Cool story that does apply here

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Top Bottom