• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I went to see Deep Water Horizon today at the Senior cheap show for a whole $5.50.

I could summarize this flick in one word........WOW! It was great and I recommend it 100%!

We are all familiar with the story. The Deep Water Horizon was located about 50 miles offshore in the Gulf. The story digs deeply into the reasons why the event took place. In short: greed, money, and the bottom line. The well was OK'd for operation without critical tests run to ensure that the well would not blowout.

The Deep Water Horizon was an exploration rig designed to tap the Earth, then move into another location so production operations could take over. The rig did not stand on legs. It was held in position by thrusters. It was very high tech.

Back to the story....... The crew assigned to test well integrity was sent home early because the job was more than 40 days behind schedule. Two BP big shots were there to enforce the decision not to perform all of the required tests. They pounced on the rig bosses and were shocked to see them pounce back!

A compromise series of tests were agreed upon and that did not go well. The brass said "Run it, anyway!"

You can guess what happened when the SHTF. It was awesome!

I have no experience with drilling rigs and the sights and sounds were eye opening! This flick opened up a whole world to me! Even the helicopter transportation system was unbelievably massive. Wow, what an experience for a newbie!

I have become desensitized to special effects in 2016 movies. There is too much green screen computerized flash/bang junk on the screen and it all misses the mark. Not so, in this flick!

I worked in industry for many years with high pressure (5000 to 10000psi) liquids and gasses are common. When that kind of equipment finally lets go, nothing but pure luck will save anything around it. I've been in the area when over stressed equipment exploded and mundane objects like nuts, bolts, tools and machine parts become launched at ballistic velocities. Only luck and the grace of God will save your ass. Nothing will stop that carnage until it decides to quit killing or smashing. The movie scared the crap out of me..............been there!

Then came the fire. Words just can't describe it. It was huge, relentless and massive. I don't know how they filmed this flick, but, except for the absence of heat, I felt like I was right there in the midst of it. Yes, I've fought some pretty large industrial fires but nothing of this magnitude. It's amazing that anyone survived this Hell.

I loved going back to working in industry via this flick. Those are my people and it was so good to hear their good natured banter and jazzing with co-workers. Even as a teacher, on holiday dinners at the school, I sat with the maintenance crew. I love those folks and occasionally see one of them around town. I really miss them and apparently, they miss me too.

Language was rough like men who work together, are. It's not filthy. Just Earthy. There's no violence person to person but plenty of shocking sequences. There was a tiny hint of sexuality.

You MUST see this flick! I gave it both barrels.....A+! If you can get through the end with dry eyes, you're doing a Hell of a lot better than I did.

Flash
    Gun Zone Deals

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Cutting to the chase...........................If you don't see this flick, you'll be missing something really worthwhile!

I sat through some awful flicks in the last few months and I'm so thankful the cavalcade of crap is over! Sully, Magnificent 7, Deep Water Horizon, Hell or High Water, Snowden are all terrific flicks!

Flash

Last edited:

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    The story seemed a bit one sided to me. The author was Mark Walbergs character though. Much of the discussion around a certain test not being run bugged me. The Cement Bond log test would not have shown or proved anything and I doubt the OIM cared so deeply that it was run. There was serious of short cuts and failures that led to this tragedy. Wish they would have gone in a little more detail to explain what they were doing and why, A explanation of why the well was able to "kick", flow or blowout.

The BP "big wigs" out there were not involved in the operational decisions. This is to be expected because it wasn't their phase of the operation for the well.

This is my opinion after studying the event a few years back. The root cause wasn't so much as greed, money and the bottom line as portrayed in the movie. The main drivers were complacency, incomprehension and not following Standard Operating Proceedures. BP was negligent, but it wasn't about money. The just they lined up a monster well to be completed.

It was still a great movie. Truly wild what mother nature is capable of...

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The story seemed a bit one sided to me. The author was Mark Walbergs character though. Much of the discussion around a certain test not being run bugged me. The Cement Bond log test would not have shown or proved anything and I doubt the OIM cared so deeply that it was run. There was serious of short cuts and failures that led to this tragedy. Wish they would have gone in a little more detail to explain what they were doing and why, A explanation of why the well was able to "kick", flow or blowout.

The BP "big wigs" out there were not involved in the operational decisions. This is to be expected because it wasn't their phase of the operation for the well.

This is my opinion after studying the event a few years back. The root cause wasn't so much as greed, money and the bottom line as portrayed in the movie. The main drivers were complacency, incomprehension and not following Standard Operating Proceedures. BP was negligent, but it wasn't about money. The just they lined up a monster well to be completed.

It was still a great movie. Truly wild what mother nature is capable of...

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

We don't possess enough facts at TGT in 2016 to grasp the reason that the tests were skipped. The well was termed "The well from Hell" as many things had gone wrong previously. What the movie suggests is that:

The operation was over 40 days behind schedule.
    The rig was needed elsewhere.
    Budget was torn to Hell.
    Other wells were OK, so why not this one? You're just being "nervous Nellies."
    Decisions based upon the weird test results were wrong. Instead of checking it, they disregarded the test and started the shutdown procedures.

Regardless, the movie states (during the credits) that the BP big shots were later charged with manslaughter. We also ended up with the worst oil spill disaster in history. It made the Exxon Valdez look like the spill of a coffee cup!

Flash

Last edited:

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Cutting to the chase...........................If you don't see this flick, you'll be missing something really worthwhile!

I sat through some awful flicks in the last few months and I'm so thankful the cavalcade of crap is over! Sully, Magnificent 7, Deep Water Horizon, Hell or High Water, Snowden are all terrific flicks!

Flash

Does Marky Mark still have his New Jersey accent even though he's playing a Louisiana native?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I skipped a credit that is really deserved. John Malkovich did a spectacular job as one of the BP big shots. His performance was so effective that I had to restrain the urge to strangle him!

Flash

Top Bottom