• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Friend Bonnie and I caught the 11am showing of Independence Day: Resurgence at the cheap Senior morning time slot. It was $5 each and, being a gentleman, it was my treat!

I made the mistake of reading an online review of the movie that told of the movie being a financial bust and listed many reasons why it wasn't selling well. Their comments attempted to sour me on the show prematurely but, by the time we arrived at the theater, my neutral viewpoint kicked in.

The story begins in the future where the son of Will Smith has grown into his father's role of saving the planet. He has the whitest teeth of any Human Being on the planet.....snicker.

The aliens attack once again and the first assault is blown up. Unfortunately, that wasn't the main attack and we see our enemies appear on a much larger scale in this movie. The main alien ship is 3000 miles across!

The battles follow the first movie closely except for the scale. There is more flash, bang, booms and crashes than ever before. In fact, I was on sensory overload for most of the first 1/2 of the flick! It was just too much for me! I put my fingers in my ears to dampen the sound and had to look away from the visually stunning action on the screen. It was a gigantic non stop visual overload.

Later, things quieted down some and we were able to relax a bit as two civilizations tried to destroy each other.

Like the first flick, there were humorous gags sprinkled all through the action. Some were very funny!

Monsters and high tech weaponry were pretty intriguing. It was fun to watch!

In two hours, I heard one "SOB" comment, no F bombs and absolutely no sexual content. The kids are pretty safe in this audience.

This movie was fun. Disregard the comments elsewhere and give it a try. If you don't compare the first and second versions, you'll enjoy the content. Just sit down and enjoy the ride.

Bonnie and I compared notes as usual, after we left the theater. We both liked the movie and, while it wasn't "A" quality as a "Great" flick, it was fun and a good diversion from a gray, dismal day outside.

I'm glad that we went to see the movie and we both gave it a B+ rating.

Try it....you'll probably like it!

Flash
    Gun Zone Deals

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Likewise. Thanks, Flash!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It was a fun flick. It wasn't great, moving nor classic, but it was fun! There are some real turd movies in theaters, today. This isn't one of them! Keep an open mind, look for the gags and enjoy them. Then.....hang on for a wild ride!

Flash

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I guess the essential question will be: will it be good after after I've downed two 100 proof Kraken rums at the bar there prior to the movie starting (Moviehouse Grill-as the daughter said, movies are just an excuse for me to hang out at the bar and then eat pizza and popcorn).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I watched it last Wednesday.

While I appreciate your review Roger. I didn't walk away feeling the same way.

My impression..It's a crappy movie, that retreaded the old movie. It's also just about as long as the movie, 'Out Of Africa'.

The first hour is mostly rehashing of characters. Typical CGI scenes. Shallow actors with Goldblum standing in the middle, lecturing.

The aliens were CGI sharpened up. You can see more features and they're better animated. Not to spoil anything but there even more neck grabbing in this one. Figured out their technology and still the only way to talk to one.....is have it grab you around the throat and shove your face up to some glass. Stagnant plot.

I neither hated the movie or liked it. I wouldn't see it twice unless it's free.

Last edited:

whittsailor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    ^^^^^
    Thanks for the review Grasshopper. It was either Independence Day or Tarzan this evening. Guess we'll be watching Tarzan. The missus will be happy!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Wasn't too bad, although I had to look at my copy of the first Independence Day to check if I was right. For some reason they had to resurrect Dr. Oaken, who clearly died in the first, I could have done without his anecdotes.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We each have our own criteria that we use to judge a movie. They say "a sequel never equals" but I went to the movie to escape a dismal sky and to chase off any resulting negative attitude. The movie worked great for that!

I made few comparisons with the first and second flick and used it as a diversion to provide a change of pace. It is also said that folks are "as happy as they choose to be." I was happy to see this flick just for fun and it fulfilled all of my expectations!

I was hyper active before they even had a name for that.....snicker. If a movie gets slow or boring, I will conk out (doze off) in a heartbeat. This flick kept all systems alert and awake. That earns a "thumbs up!"

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom