• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The movie "12 Years A Slave" came and went quickly at our local theater and I missed it! Recently, it has been nominated for numerous awards so it returned to give us another opportunity to see it.

Today dawned as a drizzly, gloomy and cold day. My little dog Jake and I have had some cabin fever so I decided to get out, see a flick and enjoy getting out of the house. Jake just got treats, and I got the movie. He won.

The movie begins in 1841 and features our star who is a free black man living well in the Washington DC area. He is kidnapped by brutal bastards who chain, beat and degrade him in every possible way. More free blacks are kidnapped and finally they're shipped south to be sold. They are a sorry lot who barely survive the journey.

Without going into detail, the flick shows their life in the southern plantations and the brutal reality of being a slave in the south. It is a violent, disgusting, degrading, hard and joyless life.

You can fill in the blanks but as is my practice, I'll tell you how this movie made me feel and what I learned.

I KNOW that slavery was tough. I know life was hard, unjust and the horrors of being taken from your family, sold like property and worked like an animal are all beyond imagination.

But this was a movie and this is a movie review. So that's what I'll do..............

Almost every white man was portrayed as a drunken, lying, brutal, cheating, bastard with no morals, ethics, or compassion of any kind.

Blacks (N word used here) are compassionate, feeling, caring people who looked after each other and tried their best to survive. They had little but shared what they had.

I suppose that was done to make White American viewers feel guilty for the horrors forced upon African Americans in the pre Civil War South. I won't accept that guilt! My ancestors were in Europe in 1841 and had nothing to do with that mess!

The color of MY skin was damned in this movie and I got tired of seeing my image being portrayed as total scum. I hated that!

The reason I go to movies is to see and learn new things. Sometimes, I just want to get out of the house and do something for fun!

This movie is nearly 2 hours long and almost from the start is the most negative film I have ever seen! This flick is a major bummer and if you are in a great mood, you'll see that evaporate pronto.

If you like seeing people who look like you, acting as brutally as Human Beings can be, then this is your movie! If you like seeing new methods of torture, disrespect and barbarism, then this is your flick!

Why would anyone want to pay good money to see a movie that is 99% negative? There's no rooting for the good guys or triumph over adversity here. No one won.........they simply survived. Others did not.

The end is just like that............OK, the brutal movie is over. What a waste of a powerful story! You will leave the theater numb and glad that it's over.

This is no "Roots" or "The Color Purple." This movie is sick.

The movie was well filmed in scenic southern settings. The "N" word is plentiful. I do not use that word and it made me sick to hear so much of it. There was brief nudity and scenes of intercourse. Brutality was the standard from one end of the film to the other. Horrible beatings, lynchings and rape are standard fare.

I gave the movie a "D". I liked the period costumes, settings, plantations and seeing how people in the 1840's lived.

If you want entertainment, or something to lift your spirits, do NOT go to see this flick!

Flash

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Please name a few white slave owners who weren't scum... abusive users of other human beings. I feel no guilt as I didn't participate in that mess. But I am curious as to where you're really coming from.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Please name a few white slave owners who weren't scum... abusive users of other human beings. I feel no guilt as I didn't participate in that mess. But I am curious as to where you're really coming from.

The history of slavery in this country isn't as cut and dry as our public school history books has led many to believe.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    The history of slavery in this country isn't as cut and dry as our public school history books has led many to believe.

Yeahh... mmkayy. I thought Texas had more intelligence, heart and common sense. I'm very disappointed... but ya' know... I'm thinking it's just this bigoted forum. I'm thinking I shouldn't have joined this lot. Or maybe the problem is a handful of members alowed to run amok with there ignorant ideals.

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yeahh... mmkayy. I thought Texas had more intelligence, heart and common sense. I'm very disappointed... but ya' know... I'm thinking it's just this bigoted forum. I'm thinking I shouldn't have joined this lot. Or maybe the problem is a handful of members alowed to run amok with there ignorant ideals.

Nope. No bigots here. The.problem is you're a douchbag and probably a bigot yourself.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Have you ever done any REAL research about slavery? Not what you are told in school, but actual research? How bout northern immigrant workers like the Irish and Polish?

Here's an eye opener for you. Salves were not cheap. It's terrible that they were considered property, but how many people you know enjoy buying expensive things just to tear them up? A slave with a broken leg was worthless, a sick slave was worthless, etc, etc.

On the other hand, immigrant workers had no value. Losing a leg, hand, or life meant nothing to many of their employers. They lived in filthy, diseased, group housing and barely survived.

Slavery was a terrible thing, but you obviously don't know anything about the true history of slavery in the south, or the north.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Mike I've studied the period before the Civil War and the Civil war is a major interest of mine. The sides were as passionate and as full of shxt as our Liberal anti gun people are today.

Abolitionists were not above stretching the truth. "Uncle Toms Cabin" by Harriet Beacher Stowe was a major propaganda effort! Northerners would trash the south in a heartbeat....just like they do now over gun control.

The Civil War was NOT about slavery. That issue came into play long after the fighting began!

I've traveled all over the south for most of my life and visited the digs of Steven Foster (Camp Town Races, My Old Kentucky Home). That war was about urban, industrial economies against rural, agricultural lives. Slavery was part of that life.

Mike, think about this................
    Slaves were the most expensive "things" a southern gentleman could own. Buying a slave would be like you saving for a 2014 Corvette. Are you going to take that new Corvette and go trail riding with it? No....you'd take care of it to protect your investment.

I'm sure there were brutal bastards in the south but I refuse to believe that ALL of the white people were like what was portrayed in the movie. I also refuse to believe that ALL people of any ethnic group are alike.

This movie was propaganda.

Flash

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays