• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I saw the movie "Passengers" last week and really enjoyed it! Thought I'd share some of the high points with you.

The movie is about a giant commercial star ship that is transporting 5000 Humans to a planet that is about 100 light years from Earth. It is a commercial venture run by a company that specializes in resettlement. The passengers are placed in deep sleep so they will wake up after 100 years in exactly the same condition as when they went to sleep.

Travel like that became routine, fully automated and people took for granted that the process was so fool proof that there was no risk of malfunction,.................... until the day that ONE passenger awakened 90 years or so too early!

The poor guy was the only Human awake on the huge ship but he had a wealth of things to do....alone.

The robot bartender was his only companion and, after a year of that, the lone passenger started to go wacko. He looked over the other passenger pods and found a beautiful woman who was asleep. He had technical skill, so he studied the operational manuals and finally woke her up. The movie studies their relationship and things go south when the big mouth bartender robot tells her that she was awakened intentionally. She was pissed off!

I loved the camera views of the vastness of space and enjoyed feeling the huge, boundless, emptiness of the universe. It felt like I was really there! The technology aboard the ship was really cool!

There was a large "Chick Flick" aspect to this flick so women would love it. It wasn't mushy or obnoxious, but the romance stuff was there. The movie dragged in a couple of spots, but it was generally captivating and enjoyable.

Language was tame and sexual scenes were very modest.

I loved the end of the flick and recommend that you see it. I gave it a solid "A" rating and left the theater with a smile on my face. It was time well spent.

Flash
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Would you compare the scenes to those of "2001: A Space Odyssey". I always though it had some great camera work that really set the mood in a seemingly boring event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extremist

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    Keller
    Thought it was a good movie also, one of the best I saw in 2016. Saw with my daughter who liked it more than she thought she would.

I am however getting tired of all the Hollywood movies with the "strong female" always saving the day. But I gave that a pass.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I went outside and watched Jake wander about the big front yard. I thought about your question.

In 2001, I remember the crew of the ship were obsessed with surviving Hal's new and interesting ways to bump them off. In "Passengers", the pair focused on making a new life for themselves while trying to figure out why a fool proof system kept going bonkers.

As to visual eye candy, the 2017 version was just breathtaking! I felt like I was right there in the vast universe. Many years of technology have improved what we see on the screen. In this case, the results are stunning!

On a personal note, I've never been one who needs a large number of people in my personal space. Having a few close friends whom I visit occasionally is dandy with me. Being alone is OK if I have plenty of interesting things to do or learn. What was horrible for the first to awaken, would be great for me. Then, after he awakened Jennifer Lawrence, having that easy on the eyes partner, made it even better. Wow! I really be OK with that life!

I approached your question from two angles. I hope one of them was what you're looking for.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was speaking more to the camera work than the feel of the movie. More specifically, how the camera work conveyed the feeling.

In 2001 the way many scenes are shot conveys the sense of being in a small can, while others convey the emptiness and silence around them. It allowed many scenes to convey the ideas as intended with little or no dialogue at all.

Seems such camera work could be an excellent way of communicating the feeling of a lone man on a 90 year journey.

I'm in no way nit picking your review. It's just some imagery that popped in to my head while reading it.

It's an effort put in to filming that's uncommon in modern movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's been so long since I've seen 2001. I'll defer to your opinion.

Reply.................Yup, Sully's buried somewhere on this off topic forum.

Thanks for the kind words!

Flash

Top Bottom