• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    ok, i shoot ALL my guns often... and even THINKInG about this, its getting expensive adding up all the barrell's in interested in.

But i guess it all starts with if a suppressor is available to handle 9mm/40/45 ?????????

I would assume my .22's would need a silencer all their own

so i would like to TRY and find a do it all but i don't think one exists from the research i have done. But since each require a stamp and some $$$, id like to find a way.

Thanks

Joe
    Target Sports

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I know people use .308 suppressors on their .223's. It's not quite as effective as a dedicated .223 suppressor due to the clearance between the bullet and baffles but it works.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    The SWR spectre is good for 22 and 22mag along with 5.7 pistol. Good starter can that gives some options. I use my Spectre more than any other can I own since it can be taken apart for cleaning and is very stout.

Moving to your real question of the 9/40/45 gets a bit more difficult. I would start with a dedicated 9mm can as they are quietest of the three and cheapest to shoot. Mounting options to include barrels and different threading will become the bigger pain than the 200 tax and cost of the can when you decide to add additional pistols or calibers. Best bet is to start with a 22 can and get an intro into the game. Getting your various 22's setup will be a good learning experience.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    ok, i shoot ALL my guns often... and even THINKInG about this, its getting expensive adding up all the barrell's in interested in.

But i guess it all starts with if a suppressor is available to handle 9mm/40/45 ?????????

I would assume my .22's would need a silencer all their own

so i would like to TRY and find a do it all but i don't think one exists from the research i have done. But since each require a stamp and some $$$, id like to find a way.

Thanks

Joe

To answer your question......No, there is not one all to end all, do everything suppressor. Not that I know of. Best bet is purchase a can for the cal. that you shoot the most. A SWR Trident .9mm is a good one for myself. Since I own 5-.9mm's, it makes sense to buy a .9mm can. Can get barrels and adapters for all of them eventually. Like was already said, you can buy a larger suppressor and mount on a smaller cal. weapon. Will not give you the results you are looking for. You will probably still need hearing protection if you go that route. If so, what is the point ?

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I think i'll skip the .22 for now and just go into my 9mm's... i probably shoot my 9mm the most. I wonder if i can get a threaded barrel for my Steyr M9?... that may be difficult. But i would be looking for barrel's for my XDm, Steyr M9, Glock 19... those would be my first to try and thread.

This sounds like a lot of fun... can't wait!

batesdc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    allen
    YHM advertises that their pistol cans (Cobra) as multy caliber. Their is also a sound test done with video and results at silencerresearch.com I think I spelt it right. Anyway check it out it might be in the premium section. Its a great website if your into silencers. I have a YHM Mite for my 22 and love it not the quietest but price is right and is as you may say backyard quiet!

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I use my YHM cobra 2 .45 can on .45/9mm pistol and ar-15/ar-15 .22 kit... It can be taken apart and cleaned like a .22 can.

Put a little water in it and it sounds just fine on all of these calibers.

Obviously sub sonic ammo needs to be used to get the desired sound. .45 is already sub - American eagle 147 tmj - Rem Sub sonic .22 is what I use besides some homebrew hand loads.

I paid $450 for my can and sent it in to yhm they will retro-fit it for free to take their new "Pistol Adapters" These are $17.00 each and they have most threads needed. IF you shoot the gun on semi pistols you need to get the appropriate Piston thread.

Just a thought...

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Also all trident mounts fit into the yhm cobra cans. Remember with 9mm you need ammo that will stay sub sonic. If you hand load check for stability before you thread on your can. Of the barrels you listed above the glock will be the easiest and the cheapest to find a threaded barrel for in 1/2x28 then there are a few companies that make custom xd9 threaded barrels however you are looking at over $200.00 compared to glock drop in barrels probably $115.

The swr trident is a good can, before the yhm cans went up in price though I pushed for the yhm more though. The yhm is closer in price to the trident now. However by the time you pay for all the mount's and lid's you have to buy for the swr trident you will be up over $1100 easy. Also this can can not be taken apart to clean unless you send it to swr and have them drill it out for you.

Between my group of friends there are 2 swr trident 9's. They are advertised to be shot DRY over wet. One of my friends will not put anything in his. My other friends soaks his with water and says that without the water he thinks the can is too loud. I agree. We have shot the yhm .45 can wet on a 9mm side by side with the swr trident 9mm wet. We cannot tell much of a difference however the numbers say the trident is like .5 decibels less.

I have seen all the numbers on the silencer research test on the yhm cobra .45 for multi-mount purposes and it did very well on some guns and not so good on others. The mp5 navy was incredibly quiet. However the main conclusion was the can needed to be shot wet regardless.

Top Bottom