• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I have decided to start it. The next gun show is near the end of April, and I plan to buy a stripped lower there. Not sure what brand of lower I will be going with. I've done some research on AR's and frankly, there's so much to choose from. I hope to have this built and good to go by mid-late summer. I'm not sure what lpk I'll be going with, but I think I have decided on BCM as the upper I want. If anyone has any links to some informative sites, or suggestions I'll be happy to listen!
    DK Firearms

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I found a picture of what I'm shooting for so to speak. Only difference is I'll probably keep the rifle black.

4880928554_fccc32f9e9.png

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Going to use it for...?

I'm more and more becoming a fan of the newer modular rail setups. The old quad rail is bulky and heavy, and you're not going to use most of it anyway. A lot of people don't use ANY of it.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I honestly don't know how to answer that question. I planned to try to take some carbine classes in the future with it. There is hardly any competitive shooting up here, and if there is, I've never heard of it. Hopefully if I get a job down south I can start participating more in the shooting community. But the plan was to dump an Aimpoint T-1 on it and call it a day, so not really a tack driver either.

I know I sound like I'm a dreamer, but I like having a plan to follow.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I started my build a Spike's lower, Stag Parts kit and MOE furniture while waiting for an upper to come along. It turns out AIMSurplus has some good deals on Spike's complete uppers, mine was 14.5" with a Dynacomp flash hider pinned on, bolt & carrier, charging handle, MOE hand guard and T2 buffer, so far I am very happy with it. Our Catalog

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Going to use it for...?

I'm more and more becoming a fan of the newer modular rail setups. The old quad rail is bulky and heavy, and you're not going to use most of it anyway. A lot of people don't use ANY of it.

You've got that right. I am looking to get away from the full quad. I absolutely loved the M.I. modular I had.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Just stick to BCM, much easier and you know you'll have 100% quality components and construction going into your gun.

I'd be happy with Colt or Daniel Defense as well.

The DD rail on the upper you posted is built like an Abrams tank, yet lightweight. They now have the slick MFR tube as well if you don't need all the rail.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I don't know much about flash hiders, and I plan on getting a suppressor eventually - so I'm going with a 16'' barrel. Now, I have not figured out what type of barrel I want. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been doing some reading, and I hear that stainless is the "best" relatively speaking for accuracy. But I'm not sure if it's that much better when I'll just be using an Aimpoint T-1.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Since you are going with the BCM upper receiver, why not just buy one of their barreled uppers? Unless you are building a target rifle, the cost of a SS barrel is usually not justifiable. A quality chrome-lined barrel will also outlast a SS barrel...but you'd have to be a pretty heavy user to ever see that happen.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I honestly don't know how to answer that question. I planned to try to take some carbine classes in the future with it. There is hardly any competitive shooting up here, and if there is, I've never heard of it. Hopefully if I get a job down south I can start participating more in the shooting community. But the plan was to dump an Aimpoint T-1 on it and call it a day, so not really a tack driver either.

I know I sound like I'm a dreamer, but I like having a plan to follow.

The use determines the form. ;) If you were going to go hunting prairie dogs, you wouldn't be too happy with a tacticool carbine. Then again, a 24" bull barrel isn't going to be worth a damn at carbine classes or the kinds of matches I like to shoot. If you want something that's not going to see lots of sustained fire but a bit of carrying, like a ranch rifle, a pencil barrel and lightweight components are the way to go. If you're doing competition or carbine courses, a heavier barrel is something you'll want.

See what I'm getting at?

Oh and I googled those modular rails, and they look cool. Your comment also makes sense, I'll look into them more.

They are, and they do make a lot more sense.

Since you are going with the BCM upper receiver, why not just buy one of their barreled uppers? Unless you are building a target rifle, the cost of a SS barrel is usually not justifiable. A quality chrome-lined barrel will also outlast a SS barrel...but you'd have to be a pretty heavy user to ever see that happen.

+1 to all this. I wouldn't worry about a stainless or match barrel unless you're going to spend big $$ on optics and plan on shooting longer range. My cheap, unlined, 5.56 chambered M4-profile barrel is good enough out to at least 300 yards.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Carbine classes would be really cool, I'd want to do that for sure. I rarely get out on any land to shoot as the closest land my "family" owns is out in White Deer and I rarely have time to get out there - I wish I had a ranch though lol. So I guess my rifle is for future carbine classes and, dare I say it, a SHTF rifle. I also want some sort of weapon light on it too, but I'm thinking too far ahead for that.

Anyone have an opinion on billet vs. forged lowers? Since that's the piece I plan on getting at the upcoming gun show, I should probably turn my focus onto that.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    BCM Lower Receiver Groups M4 AR15

All your shopping can be done at the same place.....

Re barrels: if you go with BCM, they offer stainless as well. I just stick with the standard chrome lined for general use.

People over-think this stuff; and dive in boner first thinking of all the cool zombie killin' gear on the market. The only reason I see to build is it's possibly cheaper, which people usually do by skimping on parts and/or shopping around. Ultimately, since you need tools as well it is not cheaper. The other is once you've had some time behind the gun and you want to learn more by building.

For someone new to the gun who is planning on training I'd pick up quality guns that are already built to spec.

It'll save you headaches.

Billet lowers: pretty and expensive.

I follow a somewhat minimalist approach to putting carbines together.

So, my start-up kit would be:
    Basic mil-spec gun (Colt, DD, BCM, etc.) Hell, you can go pick up a Colt at Walmart!
    Sling (Vtac or VCAS)
    Light (Streamlight TLR 1 is a good value)
    5 Magazines (GI mags are fine)
    1000 rounds
    Training class

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    BCM Lower Receiver Groups M4 AR15

All your shopping can be done at the same place.....

Re barrels: if you go with BCM, they offer stainless as well. I just stick with the standard chrome lined for general use.

People over-think this stuff; and dive in boner first thinking of all the cool zombie killin' gear on the market. The only reason I see to build is it's possibly cheaper, which people usually do by skimping on parts and/or shopping around. Ultimately, since you need tools as well it is not cheaper. The other is once you've had some time behind the gun and you want to learn more by building.

For someone new to the gun who is planning on training I'd pick up quality guns that are already built to spec.

It'll save you headaches.

Billet lowers: pretty and expensive.

I follow a somewhat minimalist approach to putting carbines together.

So, my start-up kit would be:
    Basic mil-spec gun (Colt, DD, BCM, etc.) Hell, you can go pick up a Colt at Walmart!
    Sling (Vtac or VCAS)
    Light (Streamlight TLR 1 is a good value)
    5 Magazines (GI mags are fine)
    1000 rounds
    Training class

+1!

I never found a need for a rail system on my rifle, even when it had all the awesome zombie-killin', boner-inducing stuff on it. :p

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I am taking what your saying into consideration. I originally wanted to buy a LaRue PredatAR, but I'm really wanting to build this myself. It might not be the "smartest" move, but I want to go ahead and get some hands on experience. I'm not out to have the most tacti-cool rifle with DBAL and all. If I'm needing to end up buying some tools, I'm not too concerned with that - I know I'll be using them again.

We'll see really. I have a couple of weeks till the gun show gets here anyways.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you want a PredatAR any time soon, better order it like 3 months ago. 14-16 week wait on them when my friend ordered a couple weeks ago.

Turns out that they don't offer, but if you ask they'll put the 3-gun trigger in it for you. ;)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a del ton complete lower on a stag 2H complete upper and it did great at the range. It has the MOE handcars on it. My coyote, pig, and bad Guy gun.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Noveske switchblock? Since I was planning on getting a suppressor eventually, it might be a good idea to go ahead and get it. I don't want to have to give up the 12'' rail though :(

Top Bottom