my attempt at a custom home-made holster

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by radioflyer, Aug 30, 2009.

1. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    After learning IDPA doesn't allow S.O.B. holsters, I decided to try my hand at making my own hip holster. I have a hobby grade thermoformer i use to form ABS shrouds for headlight molds and decided to make a holster out of that. I based my design around the Raven "phantom" for the HK45.
    I started with a 18x12" sheet of 0.093" black haircell ABS.
    [​IMG]
    Heated it in the oven to 350 degrees for ~3 minutes
    Formed it around my P30, then used my engraver to mark where i wanted to cut:
    [​IMG]
    I used 1/16"x3/4" Aluminum for belt straps. Stronger than plastic and more rigid than leather. I used stainless steel hardware t secure them to the ABS.

Cut and trimmed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only catch is that i forgot about forming to the sights. Without a channel for the front sight, the holster will not let the weapon be unholstered. I've since re-formed both molds with a front sight channel.
    More pictures to come

2. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

That's pretty good... Where did you get the ABS at? The only reason why I ask, I sell ABS sheets.

3. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009

I believe i got them frin interstate plastics. There a few companies i get them fron dependind on how much i need at the time.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    That's pretty cool.

5. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    How's the release from around the trigger guard while drawing and whats the level of ease to reholster?

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well it looks like we have a new holster maker around here! Looks good!:happy0001:

7. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I reformed both molds with a channel for the front sights...(taped a coffee straw to the top of the slide when molding :happy0001:)

The re-formed molds works very well with the trigger guard section providing just enough retention to hold the pistol securly in place until i actually draw it.

8. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Does look damn good though. Simple, yet functional... I love it!

Rock on! :texas:

Brad L.

9. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

Where are you located? If around Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio I can hook you up.

10. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I live in Spring (just north of houston) I normally use .060" for headlight molds and I'll be usign .093" for my holsters