• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    Shortly after I moved to Round Rock with my wife and her teenage son, he rebelled hard against us. He started skipping school, taking drugs, running away, and a whole lot more. We were trying to get him straightened out, but the more we tried the harder he fought us. One night when my wife and I were getting ready for bed, I went to my Sig's gun case to take it out and put it next to the bed...it wasn't there. Now mind you there are 3 of us in the house, and my wife does not like to touch a gun, but appreciates that I have them to protect us.

We instantly started calling my stepson on his cell phone, and of course he denied knowing anything about the missing gun. This coming from a kid who hocked his laptop to get drug money. He continued to deny knowledge of the missing gun, and so I called the police to report it stolen. This was in April 2013. Detective came out, interviewed step-son, wife and I. However as we all know, without evidence, there is nothing they can do. I figure I will never see the gun again. My first carry gun, gone, poof, grew legs and walked out of the house.

Not so fast, I received a call from the detective here in Williamson County on Monday. "We recovered your pistol in Pflugerville." They have taken all of the photos they require, and I can pick it up from their property room any time.

I picked it up on Tiesday before heading out of town on a business trip. I was expecting the worst with the gun, scratches, beat to hell, covered in fingerprint dust, etc. Nope, the gun was spotless clean. No scratches or beat up areas on the gun. It looks like it did when it walked out of the house over a year ago minus the ammunition.

The detective said the people they found it with are not saying where they bought it and as long as they don't say where they bought it my step son is in the clear on the gun "walking out of the house" charge. Needless to say I am thrilled the gun is off the street.

Side note on the stepson. 3 days after the gun disappeared, he was caught shoplifting a TV at WalMart. He was arrested and while coming off of his drug high in jail he became violent. They strapped him to the chair until he calmed down. Since he was 17 and he was in adult jail. My wife and I, as well as his birth father, agreed to let him sit in there for 2 weeks until his trial date. Tough love for my wife to do that, but step-son came out a changed man. Judge said because of his age, she would defer adjudication if he finished probation, paid his fines on time and didn't get into any more trouble. So far so good.

He no longer smokes, he isn't doing drugs, he found a job and is working, and he refuses to hang out with his old trouble-maker friends. He has done all of his community service and is ahead on paying his fines. He thought one of would bail him out and when we didn't, he realized he isn't a child anymore and he is responsible for his own actions.
    Venture Surplus ad

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    What a great story and what great parenting.

There needs to be more of you raising kids.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Excellent that it ended on a good note but I have a question. Did I read it correctly that you knew he was getting into trouble and hocked his laptop for drug money but still left your Sig unlocked in its original case to then leave it again unlocked by your bed?

Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    Yes, and you can zing me for saying the signs were there, I should have known better, etc. I get it, believe me, I felt horrible when it happened knowing a gun of mine was out on the street. It truly was gut wrenching. I should have known better. Yes, it is unlocked by the bed when the wife and I are sleeping. We lock our bedroom door at night so he can't sneak in while we are sleeping.

It is now locked in a safe with the other guns, and I take it out of the safe at night. Lesson learned.

Top Bottom